Author Topic: Upgraded seat by asking  (Read 905 times)

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
Upgraded seat by asking
« on: November 26, 2018, 08:07:30 AM »
I was booked on the lowest class for a Cathay flight from the Philippines to Israel through Hong Kong. I have absolutely no status with Cathay or One World. When I got to check in I politely asked the cost to upgrade to Prem Economy (I assumed she realized for the HKG-TLV flight). She told me to wait a minute went to talk to someone and came back and said I have a seat in J would you like it? I said "Do you really need to ask me :)" And just like that I got upgraded to Business Class for the flight to Hong Kong.

Has this ever happened to you?

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Upgraded seat by asking
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:23:27 AM »
Cool! Enjoy!

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:27:31 AM »
I was booked on the lowest class for a Cathay flight from the Philippines to Israel through Hong Kong. I have absolutely no status with Cathay or One World. When I got to check in I politely asked the cost to upgrade to Prem Economy (I assumed she realized for the HKG-TLV flight). She told me to wait a minute went to talk to someone and came back and said I have a seat in J would you like it? I said "Do you really need to ask me :)" And just like that I got upgraded to Business Class for the flight to Hong Kong.

Has this ever happened to you?
I once got upgraded to lie flat J on AA LAX-JFK by volunteering to be bumped, but they put my wife and I in J after they gave away our seats and those were the last 2 seats.

I once got offered to switch my preferred Y seat on elal with a guy who wanted to sit next to his wife. His company put him in J and his wife had the seat next to me that they paid for personally.

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 11:41:30 AM »
This kind of scenario never happened but family members and I have been upgraded on Swiss and Continental GVA-JFK on separate occasions. All tickets were either bought last minute or at the airport, flights had empty seats, and only 2 of us had status. Last time was 7 years ago though, but thanks to @Dan upgrades are no longer needed :)