Author Topic: Jewish Trivia  (Read 12299 times)

Offline av83

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Trivia
« Reply #160 on: December 10, 2023, 09:47:32 PM »
Of course there was and is
Are you sure?

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #161 on: December 10, 2023, 10:02:06 PM »
Are you sure?
Yes. It is not possible to have 8 consecutive days without a shabbos. 2043 is a בח"ג פשוטה and פרשת מקץ חל בז' חנוכה
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #162 on: December 10, 2023, 10:04:19 PM »
Yes. It is not possible to have 8 consecutive days without a shabbos. 2043 is a בח"ג פשוטה and פרשת מקץ חל בז' חנוכה
look at the spoiler
When was the last time that there was no Shabbos Chanuka in a year, when will be the next time?
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 10, 2023, 10:48:44 PM »
look at the spoiler

You should have that each leap year that there is a secular year with no chanuka at all. For a Jewish year it would happen every time shabbos chanuka is on the 7th day and likely many times when shabbos is on the 6th day. Neither is terribly uncommon.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 10:53:49 PM by aygart »

Offline av83

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2023, 10:21:24 AM »
You should have that each leap year that there is a secular year with no chanuka at all. For a Jewish year it would happen every time shabbos chanuka is on the 7th day and likely many times when shabbos is on the 6th day. Neither is terribly uncommon.
Not uncommon at all. Just hasn't occurred between 1948 and 2043

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2023, 10:25:04 AM »
Not uncommon at all. Just hasn't occurred between 1948 and 2043

it happened in 5777, 5773, 5753 and will happen in 5790, 5793, 5797 just for a few examples for shabbos falling on day 7. For day 6 there are more.

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2023, 10:30:40 AM »
My kid came home with the same riddle. It happens when Chanukah is in late December so part of Chanukah is in 1948 and part is in 1949.

Offline av83

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2023, 10:31:24 AM »
it happened in 5777, 5773, 5753 and will happen in 5790, 5793, 5797 just for a few examples for shabbos falling on day 7. For day 6 there are more.
Take 5753 for example that was 1992-1993 in both years the whole Chanuka was in Dec.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2024, 01:02:32 AM »
This is not a trivia question, but I'm trying to find the source of a story I heard as a kid, and was wondering if anyone knows which book it's in.

Jewish soldier is in (American?) army, part of small squadron of men in enemy territory. They were woken by an alarm and had to speedily dress and race to the two waiting jeeps. The Jewish soldier spent an extra 2 seconds tying his shoes, doing the halchacially mandated right-left-left-right, and therefore only made it to the second jeep. Minutes later, the first jeep went over a mine, which killed everyone inside.

Anyone remember such a story?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2024, 07:38:03 AM »
This is not a trivia question, but I'm trying to find the source of a story I heard as a kid, and was wondering if anyone knows which book it's in.

Jewish soldier is in (American?) army, part of small squadron of men in enemy territory. They were woken by an alarm and had to speedily dress and race to the two waiting jeeps. The Jewish soldier spent an extra 2 seconds tying his shoes, doing the halchacially mandated right-left-left-right, and therefore only made it to the second jeep. Minutes later, the first jeep went over a mine, which killed everyone inside.

Yes, heard it when I was a kid in HAC. Probably made up because I heard it in the Yom Kippur war IIRC. Also same story about negel vaser and no water.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2024, 07:48:18 AM »

I think it might be in visions of greatness? But maybe I'm mixing up a different story

Offline Spoon

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2024, 08:02:55 AM »

Think I read it as happening in Israel after someone pushed him to take upon himself one thing from the S"A. Might be in touched by a story

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2024, 08:04:31 AM »

Think I read it as happening in Israel after someone pushed him to take upon himself one thing from the S"A. Might be in touched by a story
I heard it as a kid, well before those books were written, but I guess it could be in there...