Author Topic: Time to quit Amazon (and Prime)?  (Read 7341 times)

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Time to quit Amazon (and Prime)?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
All this is not to mention the scam that the "free two day shipping" has become.
It used to be that free two day shipping meant you order it and get it two days later, nowadays I've seen as much as 5 days be called "two day" shipping.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 12:03:31 PM »
Of course it is. Make an order from global industrial, webstaurant etc. the shipping goes up the more you order. Free shipping because you order more doesn't make sense, it's only a perk to get you to order from them, which then everyone else on their level has to do to be competitive. But it's not logical.

Why is the perk not logical? That incentive to get the buyer to buy more offsets the increased shipping costs. I've always felt it backwards that a store like the Kollel store charges $5 per box for delivery. They should charge for delivery and make the price  go lower the more you order. They stand to earn WAY more than $5 if you try get more to get enough for free delivery.

Offline chinagel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 12:05:09 PM »
Why is the perk not logical? That incentive to get the buyer to buy more offsets the increased shipping costs. I've always felt it backwards that a store like the Kollel store charges $5 per box for delivery. They should charge for delivery and make the price  go lower the more you order. They stand to earn WAY more than $5 if you try get more to get enough for free delivery.
It's much different when the store is doing the delivery.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 12:12:27 PM »
Because they're passing on the charge of the freight company
It's much different when the store is doing the delivery.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 12:15:40 PM »

in a Jewish supermarket how hard is it going to be to hit the target for free delivery

Offline NateOren

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 12:40:05 PM »
THIS ENSUING CONVERSATION is exactly why abandoning Prime is a topic. Reminds me of the recent South Park episode relating to ads: we started talking about getting rid of Prime and the conversation veered to the 'ads' and popups...

You saved money on what? Who cares?! Black Friday deals? So now you have Spotify Premium for .99c and 4 Google Homes - you didn't even need ONE Google Home Mini?! You are paying money to have your data used to sell you more stuff. The $25 cost is only a make-believe barrier to entry. It's just a ploy.

PRIME DAY is a completely made up thing, and so we can become a more disposable society.

We continue to support an 'institution', a culture, that just sees us for our wallet. There's no humanity in anything they do. At our own demise. We're supporting a culture that trivializes our value as customers, and employees. I'm not saying I don't like robots, I'm suggesting that if Amazon is building these robots, they (AI/robots) will be singularly committed on enslaving us to continue giving them all our money - and then do exactly what happened here, excitedly chat about deals that bring us limited (3 minutes) of true happiness to our lives.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2018, 12:43:45 PM »
THIS ENSUING CONVERSATION is exactly why abandoning Prime is a topic. Reminds me of the recent South Park episode relating to ads: we started talking about getting rid of Prime and the conversation veered to the 'ads' and popups...

You saved money on what? Who cares?! Black Friday deals? So now you have Spotify Premium for .99c and 4 Google Homes - you didn't even need ONE Google Home Mini?! You are paying money to have your data used to sell you more stuff. The $25 cost is only a make-believe barrier to entry. It's just a ploy.

PRIME DAY is a completely made up thing, and so we can become a more disposable society.

We continue to support an 'institution', a culture, that just sees us for our wallet. There's no humanity in anything they do. At our own demise. We're supporting a culture that trivializes our value as customers, and employees. I'm not saying I don't like robots, I'm suggesting that if Amazon is building these robots, they (AI/robots) will be singularly committed on enslaving us to continue giving them all our money - and then do exactly what happened here, excitedly chat about deals that bring us limited (3 minutes) of true happiness to our lives.

The best part was that I ordered those 4 Google Homes by saying, "Alexa, order me 4 Google Homes." I must admit, the satisfaction lasted far less than 3 minutes, but it was worth it. So worth it.

Offline Zevi16

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »
I honestly still haven't managed to wrap my head around the "get it by next Thursday" as 2 day shipping. What exactly are they thinking?

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2018, 02:27:24 PM »
I honestly still haven't managed to wrap my head around the "get it by next Thursday" as 2 day shipping. What exactly are they thinking?
Not this again.

Offline Zevi16

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Time to quit Amazon (and Prime)?
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2018, 02:29:26 PM »
Not this again.
Well if it is Monday morning, according to everyone, it isn’t two day shipping.
And no, it has a date there too

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
I did real well today B"H.

Got a $50 order refunded because it was late.

Online yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2018, 10:22:35 PM »
They claim that it's two days from when it can be shipped out. If they only allowed 2 days from order date to be called 2 day shipping, they wouldn't be able to offer this as prime shipping.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2018, 11:54:43 PM »
Like with credit cards, if you know how to play the game you will win most of the time. If you don’t, you will lose most of the time.

On its face, Amazon Prime is not worth $119 per year. Most items can be purchased at other retailers in-store like Walmart, Target and Costco. (Costco membership is half the price of Amazon).

However here is the kicker: several times a year Amazon will have a massive sale. Now that they partnered with Amex it’s basically a sale on top of a sale. If you happen to need those items that are on sale, or if you are savvy and can flip them for a profit on eBay, then it will offset the cost of Prime membership.

For me personally I have already covered the cost of membership for this year In July I got 15 cases of wipes for free along with tons of other household products for pennies. The recent sale/mistake on the Dyson vacuum allowed me to make a profit that itself covers the cost of membership. Free Echo Dots put me in profit territory. kindles on sale throughout the year is more profit.

If you don’t have the time or patience to flip sale items then $119 might not be for you.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 01:19:41 AM »

Who gives a damn? Honestly. You're the kind of person who is going to be sitting around complaining for the next 20 years about how technology is ruining us while the rest of us just enjoy the life enhancements that the world of technology keeps bringing us. Is it ever more important to remind ourselves to disconnect every once in a while and enjoy the world around us? For sure, but that doesn't change the fact that these things are going to continue to advance with or without me and you. Either learn to adapt to it and benefit or don't, nobody else cares. Amazon is "selling" your data? So what? You don't lose anything by being a data point in a massive set of millions of people's shopping patterns. Think you're spending too much because Amazon is pushing things at you that you wouldn't have otherwise bought? No problem, just triple think everything before you buy it, the rest of us here will continue to profit from Amazon and enjoy the free benefits at the same time.
/rant
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline thaber

• View Profile

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2018, 12:12:31 PM »
I did real well today B"H.

Got a $50 order refunded because it was late.
by chat or phone?

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2018, 05:23:15 PM »
by chat or phone?
Chat.

honestly I don't think it was anything I said, I guess G-d just wanted me to have an extra $50 yesterday...

Offline NateOren

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2018, 07:25:42 PM »
Who gives a damn? Honestly. You're the kind of person who is going to be sitting around complaining for the next 20 years about how technology is ruining us while the rest of us just enjoy the life enhancements that the world of technology keeps bringing us. Is it ever more important to remind ourselves to disconnect every once in a while and enjoy the world around us? For sure, but that doesn't change the fact that these things are going to continue to advance with or without me and you. Either learn to adapt to it and benefit or don't, nobody else cares. Amazon is "selling" your data? So what? You don't lose anything by being a data point in a massive set of millions of people's shopping patterns. Think you're spending too much because Amazon is pushing things at you that you wouldn't have otherwise bought? No problem, just triple think everything before you buy it, the rest of us here will continue to profit from Amazon and enjoy the free benefits at the same time.
/rant
If you think you CAN disconnect, you're delusional. If you think you CAN stop anytime = delusional.

What's the difference b/w what Jack Ma is doing and Amazon? Perhaps if you worked in tech you'd appreciate the kind of impact this is having on us...
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/28/jack-ma-ai-dystopian-cities-communist-party-china