Author Topic: What the heck Amazon? A trillion dollar company cant get their story straight.  (Read 5818 times)

Offline shimino1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
What the heck is wrong with Amazon? A trillion dollar company that can't get their story straight.
Amazon ran a promotion that gave new Amazon music subscribers an Echo Dot device for free (or for $0.99 if you take into account the amount paid for the initial subscription).
I signed up on November 20 as did multiple people. Many people have reported that they managed to sign up and redeem the offer as detailed. Others, myself included, were not able to redeem the offer for some reason.
I contacted Amazon costumer service to figure out what was going on and this is the absurdity that ensued: (Brackets are my own remarks).

Email from November 20:
"Thanks for starting a free trial of Amazon Music Unlimited. As part of our limited time offer, we have applied a $48.99 Amazon.com promotional credit to your account that will be applied to your Amazon Echo Dot order at checkout."
This credit will expire on November 30, 2018. For more information, please read our Terms and Conditions."

Terms & Conditions (https://www.amazon.com/gp/promotions/details/A1QGFWIFVSM7H1?ref_=pe_2629530_370965440).
"Promotional credit expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) November 30, 2018. To be eligible, you must have created an Amazon.com account prior to November 8, 2018." (My Amazon account was created in 2012).

Email from November 21
"I would like to inform you that regarding our Echo Dot (Amazon Music Unlimited) Promotion issue, our technical team are working on it.
We have already fixed the issue for those customers who have placed the order on 10/11/2018.
As you have placed the order on 19/11/2018, your issue will be also fixed very soon."

Chat session from November 27:
"Sumanth R: Under one time exception, you can place the order and help me with the order number. I can refund you the amount to make sure you get it for $0.99 once it delivered." (Would an agent make such a promise without confirmation of eligibility for the offer?)

Email from November 27:
"Recently, you received an email offering a discounted Echo Dot if you signed up for Amazon Music Unlimited. Due to limited supply, we're unable to accept more orders.
To help make up for the inconvenience, we've added a $5 promotional certificate to your account." (How can the be out of supplies when there are 10,000,000 of them selling on Amazon.com?)

Chat session from November 28:
"Kritika: I would like to inform you that the offer is valid for customers who subcribed the subscription before Nov 08, 2108 for the first time.
Me: Where does it say that in the T&C's?"
Kritika: It is written in terms and conditions (Wrong! That refers to signing up for Amazon.com)
Kritika: Please check it is written in terms and condition
Me: And if that is the case, why was I able to sign up for the promo?
Why did not one but multiple agents confirm I was eligible?
Me: Can you please direct me by link to the T&C's on the promotion where it supposedly says I'm not eligible?"
Kritika from Amazon.com has left the conversation. (I think this is the most important line. Shut up and believe what I am reading off my computer screen or I will refuse to even discuss thing with you).

Resolution:
To be fair I must add that after a 25 minute phone call where I had to fight like hell to get Amazon to fulfill their multiple promises, they did agree to let me order the Echo dot and promised to apply the refund once shipped. The agent  who approved it (after conferring with a manager three or four times insisted that I was not in fact eligible in any way for the promotion but that they would give it to me as a complete courtesy.

You may say that all's well that ends well but I was left feeling very disappointed by the way a Trillion dollar company can't seem to honor their multiple promises and tries to wrangle out of giving away something that probably cost them $5 to make to someone who is eligible for the offer.

Offline shimino1

• View Profile
@Dan
Can you make a DDMS post?
It can help others in the same situation as well as taking Amazon to task.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
But they aren't a trillion dollar company.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Is their being a larger company a reason that there should be better or worse communication between CSR?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline shimino1

• View Profile
Is their being a larger company a reason that there should be better or worse communication between CSR?
It should be a reason for them to honor promises that cost them close to nothing.

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
I usually love Amazon but I do have some crazy stories with their CS for much larger amounts. To that I say you lose some, you win more ;) Personally I would have dropped it after the 2nd or 3rd email and bought one for $24 if needed. Looks like you lost some money (3 emails, prob 30 minutes of chat and 25 on the phone) but hey so did they lol

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
I usually love Amazon but I do have some crazy stories with their CS for much larger amounts. To that I say you lose some, you win more ;) Personally I would have dropped it after the 2nd or 3rd email and bought one for $24 if needed. Looks like you lost some money (3 emails, prob 30 minutes of chat and 25 on the phone) but hey so did they lol

Agreed. You got to know when to call it quits, there have been many other promo's/price mistakes that were worth far more then an echo dot that you probably didn't even want/need
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
To be honest, these stories are a lot more fun when they happen to Dan, because the ending would've looked something like this:

So I hung up the phone, and changed all the links on DDMS to go to Jet instead, and Amazon's stocks subsequently crashed, and Jet gave me unlimited access to their forums.

Offline shimino1

• View Profile
To be honest, these stories are a lot more fun when they happen to Dan, because the ending would've looked something like this:

So I hung up the phone, and changed all the links on DDMS to go to Jet instead, and Amazon's stocks subsequently crashed, and Jet gave me unlimited access to their forums.
LOL!
If only I were Dan........
"As I hung up the phone I realized something odd. The Echo Dots had gone up to $199.99 but the classic echo suddenly show'd up as $0.99. I tried adding 100 of them to my cart and sure enough the total was $99.00 (insert screenshot here).
Amazon is currently running an "Echo Bananas" promo where you get 12 free organic bananas with every purchase of a classic echo so I added 1200 bananas to my cart as well
I paid $5.99 for express one day shipping and the next day my poor UPS guy, who already despises me due to the infamous UPS method  ;) shelped 100 boxes into my house. (insert picture of sweaty UPS dude).

Now I just have to find 100 nieces and nephews to give Chanuka gifts to.
Who would you give an Echo to? Hit the comment section below."

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
LOL!
"As I hung up the phone I realized something odd. The Echo Dots had gone up to $199.99 but the classic echo suddenly show'd up as $0.99. I tried adding 100 of them to my cart and sure enough the total was $99.00 (insert screenshot here).
Amazon is currently running an "Echo Bananas" promo where you get 12 free organic bananas with every purchase of a classic echo so I added 1200 bananas to my cart as well
I paid $5.99 for express one day shipping and the next day my poor UPS guy, who already despises me due to the infamous UPS method  ;) shelped 100 boxes into my house. (insert picture of sweaty UPS dude).

post of the year

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
LOL!

Awesome!!

Just missing a reference to Calvin and Hobbes, a plug for Settlers of Catan, a reference to “Dad is Fat”, and an excuse to inadvertently post a screenshot of millions of United miles.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
It should be a reason for them to honor promises that cost them close to nothing.
I can understand why they wouldn't do that as a policy considering the promises some reps have made.
Feelings don't care about your facts