Author Topic: Standards for "SMOKING HOT!" Deals  (Read 31259 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: SMOKING HOT! Standards
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2018, 03:59:06 PM »
SMOKING HOT! is for $3000 savings not $30.
So you NEVER want there to be a smoking hot deal. Got it.

Next time is see a bar of gold for free I'll let you know.

At least we are clearing things up and understanding what you expect it to be.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Geshmak25

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2018, 04:01:11 PM »
CONGRATS! YOU WON
20,000 BONUS POINTS.*

CONGRATS! YOU WON
10,000 BONUS POINTS!

CONGRATS, YOU WON!

ARON,

You won a Four Night Stay with 29 Ways to Stay.* You'll receive a verification email from MarriottRewards@dja.com within three business days. Once verification is complete, you'll get your Four Night Stay in 8-10 weeks after the sweepstakes ends. Thank you for playing!

Come back and play tomorrow for another entry into our sweepstakes.

*Subject to verification
SMOKING HOT!
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2018, 04:02:23 PM »

$3,000 was a joke, play on words. I think bar should be something like $300-$500 savings.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »

For 1k it would be 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2018, 04:16:28 PM »
$3,000 was a joke, play on words. I think bar should be something like $300-$500 savings.
And what should the MSRP be? I can send you a million products that are $500 off. You didn't address mine or Dan's replies.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2018, 04:32:04 PM »
Echo dot: was basically free newest gen alexa speaker, that anyone could do with all their accounts. If something is free or close to it, it automatically goes way up in the hotness scale. For example a $1000 tv can be $500 off, total price mistake but it still costs $500. OTOH a $30 item that costs $1 and is something many many people want, and it is highly likely to be honored that puts it way up there. and in this case deserved smoking hot.
I get free items are great but limysah its $30. Hot! suffices

Lowe's GC: It became smoking hot when it was clear that 1. People were winning $500 gc's from DDMS. 2. They stacked with each other and lowes had free shipping sitewide, so in essence it was around a $30 deal to get anything from lowe's $30 or under for free.
Oh come on youve done this long enough to know that almost everybody was going to get $5. Marriott stacked and had some great ddf winners why wasnt that smoking hot?

KidKraft Kitchen: Again a very popular item for $30 instead of $160, another reason that we have shifted to smoking hot on something like this, is people despise the word price mistake...
Nice product, I assumed it was price mistake, not something that you drop everything for
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2018, 04:33:20 PM »
And what should the MSRP be? I can send you a million products that are $500 off. You didn't address mine or Dan's replies.
Responded, happy?

Imo guiding principle for smoking hot should be a deal that readers should drop everyrhing for and jump on asap.
PUTPAC = PITA

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2018, 12:14:01 AM »
Responded, happy?

Imo guiding principle for smoking hot should be a deal that readers should drop everyrhing for and jump on asap.

When I see "smoking hot" and then refrigerator in the title, I know I can ignore it no matter how good the deal is. If I'm interested in toys for my kids that I would never spend $100 on but would definitely spend $30, I hugely appreciate the "smoking hot" tag.

FTR, the Lowes deal was amazing.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:04:11 AM by Yehuda57 »

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2018, 01:08:34 AM »
FTR, the Lowes deal was amazing.
If only you knew.  :)

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2018, 01:10:43 AM »
The Google Fi offer was potentially a $700+ (fairly) easy profit

I ran the numbers on this, and the profit on flipping this deal is a moving target at best.

Assuming you don’t have the Amex offer, your out of pocket costs are approximately $1100 - $1150 depending on your state’s taxes.

I estimate that selling the pixel on eBay in four months time will net you around $650 after fees. If you can transfer your fi service now to another phone and sell on eBay right away then you have a chance of making $750-775, but in four months that value will certainly go down. Bear in mind that an influx of Pixel listings on eBay can cause the value to tank further.

The gift cards are another story. First, you can’t sell electronic gift cards on Ebay. You can try selling them here on the forums, but with the deluge of cards for sale, expect to sell at a 25% discount. Cardcash will be a similar story.

$650 + $750 = $1400. For some people, that is only a $250 profit for four months of wait. For those who did a payment plan, that is also a hard credit pull.

This isn’t really a hot deal for flippers. It’s a hot deal for people who want Google fi service and a top of the line phone, and will also be using the gift cards for travel.

I’m afraid that many people jumped on this deal assuming this is an easy $1,000 profit.

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2018, 01:13:05 AM »
I ran the numbers on this, and the profit on flipping this deal is a moving target at best.

Assuming you don’t have the Amex offer, your out of pocket costs are approximately $1100 - $1150 depending on your state’s taxes.

I estimate that selling the pixel on eBay in four months time will net you around $650 after fees. If you can transfer your fi service now to another phone and sell on eBay right away then you have a chance of making $750-775, but in four months that value will certainly go down. Bear in mind that an influx of Pixel listings on eBay can cause the value to tank further.

The gift cards are another story. First, you can’t sell electronic gift cards on Ebay. You can try selling them here on the forums, but with the deluge of cards for sale, expect to sell at a 25% discount. Cardcash will be a similar story.

$650 + $750 = $1400. For some people, that is only a $250 profit for four months of wait. For those who did a payment plan, that is also a hard credit pull.

This isn’t really a hot deal for flippers. It’s a hot deal for people who want Google fi service and a top of the line phone, and will also be using the gift cards for travel.

I’m afraid that many people jumped on this deal assuming this is an easy $1,000 profit.
A 1k DL GC should easily fetch 90% IMO.

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2018, 01:18:57 AM »

I guess come back in four months and prove me wrong.

I also forgot to mention that I think a lot of people are going to screw this up. Despite the site specifically stating that you must keep the service for four months, many people were under the impression that it’s only 60 days.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2018, 01:21:25 AM »
You can try selling them here on the forums, but with the deluge of cards for sale, expect to sell at a 25% discount.
At 25% off an unlimited amount will be bought.

Offline miles lover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2018, 01:58:58 AM »
I get free items are great but limysah its $30. Hot! suffices
Oh come on youve done this long enough to know that almost everybody was going to get $5. Marriott stacked and had some great ddf winners why wasnt that smoking hot?
Nice product, I assumed it was price mistake, not something that you drop everything for
I actually did the Lowe’s with two phones and got one $100. I did marriot like 10 times and got nothing more then 50 each time. Lowe’s had better odds then marriot did.

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »
Do you know that from experience? The market for the smaller GCs from airline credits is signiciantly less but I dont know what a jumbo GC would go for.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2018, 09:45:40 AM »
I actually did the Lowe’s with two phones and got one $100. I did marriot like 10 times and got nothing more then 50 each time. Lowe’s had better odds then marriot did.
90% chance you would get $5
PUTPAC = PITA

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2018, 10:33:53 AM »
Do you know that from experience? The market for the smaller GCs from airline credits is signiciantly less but I dont know what a jumbo GC would go for.
It's less for the smaller ones with Delta because you could only use 3 per reservation.

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2018, 10:50:50 AM »
It's less for the smaller ones with Delta because you could only use 3 per reservation.
I understand, still dont know what the market value is for jumbo gc. Pretty sure that market value for $1K biz plat MR is at most 1.3, which implies that gc wouldnt get more than 85% value.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2018, 12:54:57 PM »
I was saying my opinion, from a lot of experience buying and selling here.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2018, 12:56:36 PM »

Potentially includes the amex offer. Also includes utilizing the GC or selling it at ~90%, which I don’t think is a stretch at all. Furthermore, I think you’ll end up with $700-750+ after eBay fees.

That’s potential. Maybe you’ll make less. But it’s a nice profit for very little effort, relatively speaking. But to each their own.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.