Author Topic: Standards for "SMOKING HOT!" Deals  (Read 31281 times)

Offline Geshmak25

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Standards for "SMOKING HOT!" Deals
« on: November 29, 2018, 11:29:35 AM »
@Dan @jj1000 can we please set up standards for SMOKING HOT! deals? In my mind that title was always reserved for deals with significant savings (I donno let's say $300+) that would have widespread interest.

Recently it's been much less than that imo - just scan this https://www.dansdeals.com/?s=smoking+hot

Echo dot - Wow save $25
Lowes GC - Wow receive $5 GC that I won't use. Not sure why this was any different than all of the other instant games.
Google wifi 3 pack etc - ~$200 savings I guess borderline smoking hot but not necessarily widespread appeal. I would go with Hot! Hurry!
Kidkraft Kitchen - less than ~$100 savings although probably widespread appeal. I would go with Hot! Hurry!
Google Fi offer - Original offer posted as HOT! only upgraded to SMOKING HOT! after $100 Amex savings.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 03:49:25 PM by Something Fishy »
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: SMOKING HOT! Standards
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 11:31:14 AM »
Maybe we need a flame system of 1-5?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 11:31:33 AM »
@Dan @jj1000 can we please set up standards for SMOKING HOT! deals? In my mind that title was always reserved for deals with significant savings (I donno let's say $300+) that would have widespread interest.

Recently it's been much less than that imo - just scan this https://www.dansdeals.com/?s=smoking+hot

Echo dot - Wow save $25
Lowes GC - Wow receive $5 GC that I won't use. Not sure why this was any different than all of the other instant games.
Google wifi 3 pack etc - ~$200 savings I guess borderline smoking hot but not necessarily widespread appeal. I would go with Hot! Hurry!
Kidkraft Kitchen - less than ~$100 savings although probably widespread appeal. I would go with Hot! Hurry!
Google Fi offer - Original offer posted as HOT! only upgraded to SMOKING HOT! after $100 Amex savings.
The Google Fi offer was potentially a $700+ (fairly) easy profit
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 11:31:57 AM »
;) Not a bad idea, truthfully

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »
Agreed, if it was posted as SMOKING HOT! originally then I probably wouldn't have much of a tyna. But for some reason the extra $100 Amex is what pushed it over the top.

And unless I misunderstood the deal, you needed to port in your current phone number which I think killed the deal for many people like myself.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 11:33:51 AM »
;) Not a bad idea, truthfully
It came to me when I was thinking about the Kool-Aid scale.  :)

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 11:34:49 AM »
Nah. Smoking hot should just be reserved for the truly amazing deals. Hot! or Hot! Hurry! works for the rest. But seriously SMOKING HOT! for a $5 Lowes GC??
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 11:35:53 AM »
Won't that be for those that understand the flipping game? IMHO that is not the typical DDMS reader. Just look at the comment section.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 11:36:41 AM »
Nah. Smoking hot should just be reserved for the truly amazing deals. Hot! or Hot! Hurry! works for the rest. But seriously SMOKING HOT! for a $5 Lowes GC??
$5 GC would he one flame.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »
This is setting up to be a very enjoyable thread...

Can't wait to see where it goes!
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 11:44:09 AM »
Won't that be for those that understand the flipping game? IMHO that is not the typical DDMS reader. Just look at the comment section.
I guess, but an $800 phone for a couple hundred bucks (and an easy gift card resell) is still amazing

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 11:44:38 AM »
This is setting up to be a very enjoyable thread...

Can't wait to see where it goes!
+1. This thread may have had a basis, until someone claimed the Google fi deal didn't deserve a "smoking hot".
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 11:49:35 AM »
+1. This thread may have had a basis, until someone claimed the Google fi deal didn't deserve a "smoking hot".
Family member wanted one. It was not smoking hot for them until I told them I would get rid of the GC for them.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »

Echo dot - Wow save $25
It's a combo of dollar savings, percentage savings, and potential earnings.

-Echo is an extremely popular item that's normally $49 and was 95% off.
-Lowes was originally hot and upgraded by JJ to smoking after several people posted that they got $500 cards
-Google was a huge dollar and percentage savings. Plenty of people look for home wifi systems now.
-Kidkraft was a large dollar and percentage savings on an extremely popular item.
-Google Fi went from costing a little (though being convoluted and hard to scale for most) to being a money maker, which pushed it over the top. Probably should have been smoking originally, but the AMEX post allowed me to correct that.

I can't say I have an issue with any of these.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 11:56:21 AM »
I can't say I have an issue with any of these.
Me either but we need visual effects.
Maybe instead of flames use planes?  :)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »

Echo dot - Wow save $25
IMHO you are way off.

Echo dot: was basically free newest gen alexa speaker, that anyone could do with all their accounts. If something is free or close to it, it automatically goes way up in the hotness scale. For example a $1000 tv can be $500 off, total price mistake but it still costs $500. OTOH a $30 item that costs $1 and is something many many people want, and it is highly likely to be honored that puts it way up there. and in this case deserved smoking hot.

Lowe's GC: It became smoking hot when it was clear that 1. People were winning $500 gc's from DDMS. 2. They stacked with each other and lowes had free shipping sitewide, so in essence it was around a $30 deal to get anything from lowe's $30 or under for free.

Google WiFi 3 pack: Are you kidding me with this one??? A $300 WiFI Mesh system for $30 and comes with 2 smart switches. I hope this was a joke. You could buy as many as you want and make or save huge money on this deal.

KidKraft Kitchen: Again a very popular item for $30 instead of $160, another reason that we have shifted to smoking hot on something like this, is people despise the word price mistake...

Google Fi: As everyone has already said, ridiculous to even suggest it. Once a deal is verified to work, and gets even better, can easily upgrade it from hot to smoking hot, not to mention brand new phones at this discout just doesn't happen.

ETA: Dan answered too lol.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 12:07:28 PM »
Family member wanted one. It was not smoking hot for them until I told them I would get rid of the GC for them.
Understood, but I think they're in the minority. I think many would save them, or figure out how to liquidate them, maybe for a bit larger of a loss.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 12:16:49 PM »
Basically, I think it comes down to that many DDFers only really care about airline glitches and crazy price-mistakes that will either get honored or have compensation for being cancelled.

Unfortunately, as has been beaten to death on every platform, there's no great way to only get those notifications.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 12:27:29 PM »

Lol

Smoking is usually more heat than sizzling. Does it work the same on DDMS or are sizzling deals better?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 12:29:32 PM »
Lol

Smoking is usually more heat than sizzling. Does it work the same on DDMS or are sizzling deals better?
I am a visual kind of person.