Author Topic: Standards for "SMOKING HOT!" Deals  (Read 30760 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: SMOKING HOT! Standards
« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2019, 04:15:06 PM »
Fun debate.
I think it also depends if you're overpaying for the item before the rebate or if you're getting a deal even without the rebate.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2019, 04:30:14 PM »
Fun debate.
I think it also depends if you're overpaying for the item before the rebate or if you're getting a deal even without the rebate.
DDMS poll?
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline MrKaplan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2019, 04:31:52 PM »
Something with a mail in rebate should never get the HOT title. I don't care how much you are saving.
+1

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2019, 04:32:20 PM »
I think rebates are great especially from office supply stores.
When its something that you only buy for the rebate , but otherwise you  wouldnt buy it , then i would say Maybe skip it.
anything that you need or would use , im a big fan of rebates
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2019, 04:32:33 PM »
Also depends if you can submit the rebate online
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 04, 2019, 06:54:58 AM »
+1
Obviously dependant on the above factor, whenever I see "mail-in rebate" in the title of a post, I don't even bother reading the rest. In 5780 I find the whole concept of "mail-in rebate" and the fact that it's still used to be utterly despicable.

Personally I never go for these deals in Kohl's. And whenever I'm in a mall with their store I don't even bother entering. Their stores remind me of Sears just with many more gimmicks.
As others mentioned, their prices, products and policies are completely unappealing.

Which brings to mind Walmart. There seemed to be so few deals from them this BF season. And they didn't offer any free shipping without minimum day(s). They seem to be slacking off. Amazon and Target really dominated the scene. Very surprising that WM has as of recent been so laid back

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #166 on: December 04, 2019, 03:41:51 PM »
"Smoking Hot" to me means that you are telling/asking your friends "did you manage to grab XYZ?"
If it isnt a discussion later to me its wasnt that hot. has to have a "wow" factor to it.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Re: Standards for "SMOKING HOT!" Deals
« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2019, 03:50:58 PM »
Every time this thread popped up I got excited to see a SMOKING HOT! deal, only to go "oh not again". I've updated to thread title to spare anyone else the pain.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Online Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2019, 03:58:07 PM »
Every time this thread popped up I got excited to see a SMOKING HOT! deal, only to go "oh not again". I've updated to thread title to spare anyone else the pain.

Thank you. As I've said before:

I think it should be assur to start a post with the word 'Hot' if it's not a hot deal. For a split second I got excited about this post :)

https://www.dansdeals.com/shopping-deals/family-deals/toys/hot-wheels-terrain-twister-remote-control-vehicle-24-97-walmart-61-price-drop/

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2019, 04:02:33 PM »
You are mistaken about Walmart. They made boatloads of cash in their B&M stores. If slacking off means not selling things at a loss just to excite shareholders, then I think they have nothing to worry about.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2019, 04:14:51 PM »
I have no words to describe my appreciation
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2019, 05:30:52 PM »
IMO, A smoking hot deal should be on a smoking hot item. Obviously that varies by person, but a deal like this shouldn't be hot, firstly because its discount is not that great in actual dollars, it's more relative. Also, It's not the type of thin I believe most people get excited over, even if it was free. Just my 2 cents.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2019, 05:33:36 PM »
IMO, A smoking hot deal should be on a smoking hot item. Obviously that varies by person, but a deal like this shouldn't be hot, firstly because its discount is not that great in actual dollars, it's more relative. Also, It's not the type of thin I believe most people get excited over, even if it was free. Just my 2 cents.
That's what I argued, but @jj1000 said I was nuts. Turned out to be one of the top selling items over BF/CM, so clearly people were pretty excited about it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2019, 05:40:28 PM »
That's what I argued, but @jj1000 said I was nuts. Turned out to be one of the top selling items over BF/CM, so clearly people were pretty excited about it.
I hear both sides, but I always felt that the special titles were for deals that you drop an ice cream cone to grab. I ain't dropping no mint choc chip for some tushy cream.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 04, 2019, 06:39:15 PM »
Many thanks

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 04, 2019, 06:41:15 PM »
Maybe we could have something like "awesome deal" for things like desitin, and save hot and smoking hot for $94 cameras

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 04, 2019, 06:50:45 PM »
Maybe we could have something like "awesome deal" for things like desitin, and save hot and smoking hot for $94 cameras
This sounds pretty reasonable.

Maybe the Desitin cream was the top selling item only because it had "Hot!" in the title and people just take Dan or JJ at their word.   ;D

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #177 on: December 04, 2019, 06:53:19 PM »
I didn't look at the item, I am trying to figure out how we can get free stuff here
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #178 on: December 04, 2019, 06:55:42 PM »
If you don't use it, I totally get that it wouldn't seem hot. But Desitin is brand like Tide with a defined price and it rarely goes on sale. Plus at the time I posted it seemed you can get an unlimited amount of these, multiply that by $12 off each one and you quickly add up the $$$...

I personally saved $88, and spent $8. That is definitely hot to me.

I hear both sides, but I always felt that the special titles were for deals that you drop an ice cream cone to grab. I ain't dropping no mint choc chip for some tushy cream.
For many people saving on desitin is the same as saving on diapers, you can make the same comment I'm not dropping ice cream to save $80 on diapers... but in the end it really just depends on the type of ice cream ;)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #179 on: December 04, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »
We have hurry for great deals that will sell out fast, hot for an amazing price, and smoking hot for $94 cameras. And the best deals get sizzling or smoking hot hurry
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)