Author Topic: Marriott Starwood data breach  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Eliyohu

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Marriott Starwood data breach
« on: November 30, 2018, 07:07:13 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/marriott-says-data-breach-compromised-info-500-million-guests-n942041

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/marriott-discloses-data-breach-of-starwood-guest-database-1543579102

Marriott announces massive Starwood guest reservation database hack; says believes it contains info on up to approx. 500,000,000 guests, and the company “understands the importance of protecting personal information.”

Mods please move if appropriate
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:41:31 AM by Eliyohu »

Online Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Re: Marriott Starwood data breach
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 08:12:24 AM »
Crazy stuff! Many CC numbers, arrival and departure dates. And who know what else....
#TYH

Offline MrKaplan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 10:08:11 AM »
What a classic

Offline Yitzshpitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 10:14:57 AM »
There will be no repercussions and in a year everyone will forget about this just like every other time...

Offline Eliyohu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 10:15:12 AM »
Informational website created regarding the breach.

https://answers.kroll.com/

The company said it's giving guests a free membership to WebWatcher, a personal information monitoring service

Offline Eliyohu

• View Profile

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 09:36:28 AM »
Informational website created regarding the breach.

https://answers.kroll.com/

The company said it's giving guests a free membership to WebWatcher, a personal information monitoring service

Useful?
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »
Useful?
I had a conversation the other day with a rep from Webwatcher, and it seems like the SPG/Marriott deal isn't anything special. I emailed SPG/Marriott but have not heard back from them.

Guest: Hi
You are now chatting with xxxxx
Agent: Hi, welcome to WebWatcher sales! My name is xxxx and I will be assisting you today. If for any reason our chat is disconnected, you can request to speak with me again.
Agent: Awareness Technologies! how may I help you today?
Guest: Hi, I just read an email I received from starwood that I am eligible for 1 year of free service. How do I go about taking advantage of this?
Agent: You can register for a WebWatcher account here:
https://www.webwatcher.com/freetrial/3/
Agent: Enrollment or creating an account is free however, if you are going to set up the software to the monitoring you will be ask to enter the credit card information thus activating the risk free purchase.
We don't offer a one year free membership as we only offer free registration of the account.
Agent: We don't offer a one year free membership as we only offer free registration of the account.
Agent: We currently offer a risk-free purchase. This means that if WebWatcher is not performing as advertised and you notify us within 3 days of purchase, we will issue you a full refund so long as you have allowed our support team reasonable time and access to the device you’re monitoring in order to resolve the problem.
Guest: I don't follow fully. What is Starwood offering that is not ordinarily available for free?
Agent: Please contact Marriott to get more detailed information about their free proposal.
Agent: As of this time we only offer free account but not a free year subscription
Guest: But that free year is for everyone, not just for Starwood members. Starwood sent out a mass email that "Marriott is providing guests the opportunity to enroll in WebWatcher free of charge for one year. WebWatcher monitors internet sites where personal information is shared and generates an alert to the consumer if evidence of the consumer’s personal information is found. Due to regulatory and other reasons, WebWatcher or similar products are not available in all countries. Guests from the United States who complete the WebWatcher enrollment process will also be provided fraud consultation services and reimbursement coverage for free"
Agent: Please contact Marriott about their free proposal we don't offer any one year of subscription.
Guest: Are you saying that while Marriott says you offer a free subscription for their members, in reality, you do not?
Agent: You create a free account but when you ask to set up you will be entering the CC or credit card thus activating the risk free purchase.
Guest: will my CC be charged once I enter it, or will it not be charged for a year?
Agent: Yes you will be charge
Guest: So, Starwood is in effect not offering anything free, correct?
Agent: correct
Guest: Thanks
Agent: Only free account to create in Webwatcher however, when you set up this will ask you to purchase.
Agent: We're here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! Thank You for choosing Awareness Technologies! Have a Wonderful Day!
Guest: Sure.

A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »
I had a conversation the other day with a rep from Webwatcher, and it seems like the SPG/Marriott deal isn't anything special. I emailed SPG/Marriott but have not heard back from them.

Guest: Hi
You are now chatting with xxxxx
Agent: Hi, welcome to WebWatcher sales! My name is xxxx and I will be assisting you today. If for any reason our chat is disconnected, you can request to speak with me again.
Agent: Awareness Technologies! how may I help you today?
Guest: Hi, I just read an email I received from starwood that I am eligible for 1 year of free service. How do I go about taking advantage of this?
Agent: You can register for a WebWatcher account here:
https://www.webwatcher.com/freetrial/3/
Agent: Enrollment or creating an account is free however, if you are going to set up the software to the monitoring you will be ask to enter the credit card information thus activating the risk free purchase.
We don't offer a one year free membership as we only offer free registration of the account.
Agent: We don't offer a one year free membership as we only offer free registration of the account.
Agent: We currently offer a risk-free purchase. This means that if WebWatcher is not performing as advertised and you notify us within 3 days of purchase, we will issue you a full refund so long as you have allowed our support team reasonable time and access to the device you’re monitoring in order to resolve the problem.
Guest: I don't follow fully. What is Starwood offering that is not ordinarily available for free?
Agent: Please contact Marriott to get more detailed information about their free proposal.
Agent: As of this time we only offer free account but not a free year subscription
Guest: But that free year is for everyone, not just for Starwood members. Starwood sent out a mass email that "Marriott is providing guests the opportunity to enroll in WebWatcher free of charge for one year. WebWatcher monitors internet sites where personal information is shared and generates an alert to the consumer if evidence of the consumer’s personal information is found. Due to regulatory and other reasons, WebWatcher or similar products are not available in all countries. Guests from the United States who complete the WebWatcher enrollment process will also be provided fraud consultation services and reimbursement coverage for free"
Agent: Please contact Marriott about their free proposal we don't offer any one year of subscription.
Guest: Are you saying that while Marriott says you offer a free subscription for their members, in reality, you do not?
Agent: You create a free account but when you ask to set up you will be entering the CC or credit card thus activating the risk free purchase.
Guest: will my CC be charged once I enter it, or will it not be charged for a year?
Agent: Yes you will be charge
Guest: So, Starwood is in effect not offering anything free, correct?
Agent: correct
Guest: Thanks
Agent: Only free account to create in Webwatcher however, when you set up this will ask you to purchase.
Agent: We're here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! Thank You for choosing Awareness Technologies! Have a Wonderful Day!
Guest: Sure.
Why the hell would they know anything about it? They said multiple times to talk to SPG/marriott, so do that. That whole conversation is stupid.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 03:06:41 PM »
Why the hell would they know anything about it? They said multiple times to talk to SPG/marriott, so do that. That whole conversation is stupid.
+1
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 02:02:42 PM »
Ever since they changed to Marriot Bonvoy I see on the top of the website it now references the security breach as a "Starwood guest reservation database security incident"

Of course now your info will be safe  ;)

Offline jbaum

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 12:19:48 PM »
Ever since they changed to Marriot Bonvoy I see on the top of the website it now references the security breach as a "Starwood guest reservation database security incident"

Of course now your info will be safe  ;)

To check if you are a part of the breach they want you to submit all of your personal information.

How long until that database is breached?  :P