Author Topic: Marriott Platinum Suite Upgrades  (Read 4200 times)

Offline FatGuyTravelz

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Marriott Platinum Suite Upgrades
« on: December 06, 2018, 11:07:44 PM »
So whats the deal with these upgrades to suites?

Im Platinum and booked 25 days at my local hotel for the hell of it.  Figured some new scenery and food.  I booked standard room.  They put me in an executive level room.  I asked several times if I can have a suite, but they just keep saying that you cant get upgrades to siite, that I went from standard to executive level.  They make it sound like its a one-category upgrade, which doesnt make sense.  If one of the perks is the lounge no matter what room you book, why should I have to pay to book a room that comes with a lounge in hopes of getting suite?   

Is this how its supposed to work, do i need to talk to management, or just cancel rest of stay?

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Marriott Platinum Suite Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 11:24:21 PM »
Try your luck with a rep from a different shift.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 01:44:40 AM »

Im Platinum and booked 25 days at my local hotel for the hell of it.  Figured some new scenery and food. I booked standard room.  They put me in an executive level room.  I asked several times if I can have a suite, but they just keep saying that you cant get upgrades to siite, that I went from standard to executive level.  They make it sound like its a one-category upgrade, which doesnt make sense.  If one of the perks is the lounge no matter what room you book, why should I have to pay to book a room that comes with a lounge in hopes of getting suite?   

Is this how its supposed to work, do i need to talk to management, or just cancel rest of stay?
What exactly do you mean by that?!
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline FatGuyTravelz

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 09:59:17 AM »
Basically I have a Marriott nearby that has pretty decent prices.  When my gf visited last time we stayed at one for few weeks to get me to Platinum.  Well, shes visiting again so I thought why not stay again, as I found a discount, and maybe get platinum premiere, we will get a suite, lounge etc.  but we arent getting suite at all.  So debating on cancelling rest of stay, @22 days.  Benefits of platinum premiere dont change much.

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 01:16:08 PM »
Basically I have a Marriott nearby that has pretty decent prices.  When my gf visited last time we stayed at one for few weeks to get me to Platinum.  Well, shes visiting again so I thought why not stay again, as I found a discount, and maybe get platinum premiere, we will get a suite, lounge etc.  but we arent getting suite at all.  So debating on cancelling rest of stay, @22 days.  Benefits of platinum premiere dont change much.
be careful your wife may be here on the forums  ;D
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline FatGuyTravelz

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 03:08:53 PM »
Hahahaha.   

In other news, after asking again for suite via the chat app, they again denied it yet cut my daily rate by 55%.  Looks like ill be getting Platinum Premiere after all :)

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 02:16:59 AM »
Define decent prices? Unless your using TPG madness pricing I can’t believe it’s worth it for Platinum Premier
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline FatGuyTravelz

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »
Nights can be about $80-95 inclusive of taxes and fees.

And turns out there was a miscommunication, so never got that discount.  Ended up telling them that I was disappointed that after staying there for 3 weeks a few months ago, and booking for another 25 days, that their initial choice of a room was an executive facing the parking lot.  There was plenty of other rooms available, and for my business I would have expected those rooms up front, not having to ask for them or have them offered after a complaint.  I ended up cancelling the other 22 days of the reservation.  Wont be getting to premiere.

Offline pointer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 04:32:19 PM »

Im Platinum and booked 25 days at my local hotel for the hell of it.  Figured some new scenery and food.  I booked standard room.  They put me in an executive level room.  I asked several times if I can have a suite, but they just keep saying that you cant get upgrades to siite, that I went from standard to executive level.  They make it sound like its a one-category upgrade, which doesnt make sense.  If one of the perks is the lounge no matter what room you book, why should I have to pay to book a room that comes with a lounge in hopes of getting suite?   

was the base suite avail. for sale? if yes, i dont see on what basis they can refuse the upgrade

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 04:42:42 PM »
was the base suite avail. for sale? if yes, i dont see on what basis they can refuse the upgrade
maybe the hotel is not obligated to give a base suite in such a long stay. The only reason they give suites for free for the most part at check in is because it will go unsold anyway so they might as well give it. 22 days out they still have time to sell it.

Offline pointer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 04:43:44 PM »
maybe the hotel is not obligated to give a base suite in such a long stay. The only reason they give suites for free for the most part at check in is because it will go unsold anyway so they might as well give it. 22 days out they still have time to sell it.
I hear, good point

Offline FatGuyTravelz

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 04:55:33 PM »
It was available on the site for sale, and was available at checkin as they kept offering it to me as a paid upgrade.   So is the trick then doing just a bunch of short trips?  Only problem then is losing out discounted rates, like 14 day discounts etx

Online mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 05:04:45 PM »
It was available on the site for sale, and was available at checkin as they kept offering it to me as a paid upgrade.   So is the trick then doing just a bunch of short trips?  Only problem then is losing out discounted rates, like 14 day discounts etx
you have to pick your poison either the discount or the suite upgrade. Its hard for a hotel to give a suite for 14 days.

That is one of my tricks sometimes I book a shorter stay and get the suite upgrade and extend the stay once Im checked in after confirming with the hotel that they will keep me in the same room.

This is obviously a risky strategy and should only be implemented in certain cases. And you should always have a back up plan when you do this.

Offline pointer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 05:06:46 PM »
That is one of my tricks sometimes I book a shorter stay and get the suite upgrade and extend the stay once Im checked in after confirming with the hotel that they will keep me in the same room.

This is obviously a risky strategy and should only be implemented in certain cases. And you should always have a bak up plan when you do this.
Not following, what are you risking?
Worst case scenario, they just switch you back to the basic room, no?

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 05:09:24 PM »
not having a place to stay.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 05:09:56 PM »
Worst case scenario, they just switch you back to the basic room, no?
no I don’t book that night until I am actually checked in.

Offline FatGuyTravelz

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 03:35:54 PM »
I guess the discount is more important, considering the long stays are for status...but its kind of crap to get the status and then not the upgrades.   Its like why get the status then

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 03:38:59 PM »
I guess the discount is more important, considering the long stays are for status...but its kind of crap to get the status and then not the upgrades.   Its like why get the status then
Again it is hard for a hotel to give a suite for free on a 21 night stay. They are losing revenue as they can sell the suite

Offline pointer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 03:53:44 PM »
Again it is hard for a hotel to give a suite for free on a 21 night stay. They are losing revenue as they can sell the suite
we'll see if your theory holds water, if  they upgrade him the last 2/3 nights or not

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 03:55:14 PM »
we'll see if your theory holds water, if  they upgrade him the last 2/3 nights or not
its not a theory