Author Topic: Which cards to keep, which cards to kill, which cards to get?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline dpeikes

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I am going over my credit cards trying to make sure they all suit me needs.  I would like to end up with
1 visa, 1 mc, amex and possibly 1 discover.
I currently carry the following for the following reasons:

1.United Milage Plus Visa Signature by Chase for my day to day purchases.  I like it, and I like UAL as my dad is a 1K and is in the Million Mile club so I grew up in a UAL house.
2.Chase Freedom MC that I have for when I need a MC(Sams club only takes MC or discover).  I am not super in love with this card I can take it or leave it but would like to have some sort of MC
3.Discover with a picture what looks to be the Chicago skyline on it.  I use it mainly for gas and other auto expences.  This one I could again take or leave but I think I would to continue having a Discover.
4.HAS Advantage Visa by US Bank.  Use occassionalluy for a side business I have.  I think this one gets to Israel with less points.  Signed up for it b/c a friend of mine is working for HAS.  I could take it or leave it.

I do not currently cary any AMEX but I would like to.  I have good credit and good credit history.  I pay all my credit cards off at the end of every month.  I like UAL miles but cash never hurts.  I am not against AA miles as at one time I had the Citi AA card but still preffer UAL and Chase.  (I work for Chase).  I have paying annual fees but I do on my UAL card b/c I like it.  So what should I keep, what should I trash, and what should I get?

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Which cards to keep, which cards to kill, which cards to get?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 03:54:45 PM »
As far as an Amex card, the obvious choice would be the SPG card that is fee free first year and only $45/year after. (You can start by looking around this site for all the benefits...) The only downside I see on this card for you is that SPG points transfer to UAL 2:1 so as far as earning UAL points this wouldnt be the best option, you would be better off just using your Chase card (but there are plenty other benefits that would make the card worthwhile).