Author Topic: AMEX CLAWBACK ADVICE  (Read 9325 times)

Offline theyankel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
AMEX CLAWBACK ADVICE
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:45:52 PM »
upgraded via offer from green to PRG back in may
spent threshold. received 40,000 points
earlier this week, amex clawed them back after i requested to downgrade back to green. t&c did not say anything about sole discretion, once in lifetime, etc...
so in protest, after 20+ years of loyalty, i am closing all 6 of my cards, including those without annual fees. i know the drill and the impact it might have but i am ok with the move
any suggesstions for best use of transfer of 120,000 MR points before closing accounts?

Offline Yhgfkj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX CLAWBACK ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 11:54:06 PM »
earlier this week, amex clawed them back after i requested to downgrade back to green. t&c did not say anything about sole discretion, once in lifetime, etc...
so in protest, after 20+ years of loyalty, i am closing all 6 of my cards, including those without annual fees. i know the drill and the impact it might have but i am ok with the move
any suggesstions for best use of transfer of 120,000 MR points before closing accounts?
more like a protest against yourself   ....

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 11:54:25 PM »
I thihnk you should try to talk to a manager/ someone higher on the chain of command, and tell them that you plan to close all your cards.  Maybe something can be done that would allow you not to close everything.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Yhgfkj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 12:33:06 AM »
I would say CFPB, FTC, OCC, BBB, etc. is the only solution (if it is)  -  for "RATS" you use an "EXTERMINATOR"

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 02:51:57 AM »
why dont u upgrade back and ask for your points back? didnt u say u did this in may? your AF isnt due now anyway....

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 03:15:12 AM »
The only person youre hurting is yourself. Why would you do this? They have every right to claw it back, and you shouldn’t be downgrading within the first year. Be smart!
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline a good yeshiva bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 06:31:16 AM »
after 20+ years of loyalty, i am closing all 6 of my cards, including those without annual fees. i know the drill and the impact it might have but i am ok with the move
any suggesstions before closing accounts?
DONT DO IT

Offline theyankel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 12:48:19 PM »
The only person youre hurting is yourself. Why would you do this? They have every right to claw it back, and you shouldn’t be downgrading within the first year. Be smart!
the upgrade did not have the new t&c
it was not disclosed. the card however probably got caught in some algorithm and happened automatically. plus, i've spoken to a few different reps and no one was able to give me a clear answer as to why it happened. although i am familiar and know that they have been clawing back of late
why dont u upgrade back and ask for your points back? didnt u say u did this in may? your AF isnt due now anyway....
AF was charged in novemeber so was due
was targeted

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 01:44:50 PM »
the upgrade did not have the new t&c
it was not disclosed. the card however probably got caught in some algorithm and happened automatically. plus, i've spoken to a few different reps and no one was able to give me a clear answer as to why it happened. although i am familiar and know that they have been clawing back of late AF was charged in novemeber so was due was targeted
i meant to reinstate the upgrade, and then reinstate the points...
if youre truly done with them as you say, then reinstate the upgrade, get the points back, transfer out the points, and close down the card before the 30 days is up to pay the AF

Offline theyankel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 09:44:11 AM »
i meant to reinstate the upgrade, and then reinstate the points...
if youre truly done with them as you say, then reinstate the upgrade, get the points back, transfer out the points, and close down the card before the 30 days is up to pay the AF
i am considering that. need to make sure the points get credited, especially since Amex new policy its one bonus per card family. and if the system recognizes that i got it once, even though it was reversed it might still not give again.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 11:13:39 AM »
You’re making a terrible error. You’re gettng nobody but yourself. PLEASE DON’T DO IT.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 03:20:14 PM »
just pay the dumb af, and now unfortunately the negative will follow you if they go that route.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline theyankel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 10:25:05 AM »
thanks all for the encouragement and advice
i'm not an expert by any stretch of imagination and in hindsight, better attention and knowledge might have worked more favorably. but i felt that if the right rep got a hold of my complaint, i would get lucky. so, i requested that the upgrade AND downgrade calls be reviewed specifically to listen for the t&c about a time requirement. and in each instance, also reminded the reps about my longevity, tenure with amex, open (and closed) accounts, authorized user on others and overall outstanding relationship with the company. not to mention a shareholder.
i also DID NOT request to re-upgrade and pay the AF
i wrote a nice and detailed letter and now after more than two months, a dedicated MR corporate customer service agent who was assigned to my account, reviewed the entire ordeal, and after following up with me at least once weekly the last few weeks, called me this am to notify me of the outcome.
see image.

Offline LoLo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 11:05:41 AM »
Nice.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 12:05:38 PM »
thanks all for the encouragement and advice
i'm not an expert by any stretch of imagination and in hindsight, better attention and knowledge might have worked more favorably. but i felt that if the right rep got a hold of my complaint, i would get lucky. so, i requested that the upgrade AND downgrade calls be reviewed specifically to listen for the t&c about a time requirement. and in each instance, also reminded the reps about my longevity, tenure with amex, open (and closed) accounts, authorized user on others and overall outstanding relationship with the company. not to mention a shareholder.
i also DID NOT request to re-upgrade and pay the AF
i wrote a nice and detailed letter and now after more than two months, a dedicated MR corporate customer service agent who was assigned to my account, reviewed the entire ordeal, and after following up with me at least once weekly the last few weeks, called me this am to notify me of the outcome.
see image.
Good job. So you're going to stay with Amex in the end?

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 12:23:26 PM »
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Naftuli19

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 12:28:23 PM »
Im sure amex just took a huge sigh of relief breath ;D

Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline theyankel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 02:35:51 PM »
Im sure amex just took a huge sigh of relief breath ;D
i obviously have many cc accounts through a number of different banks and told amex i was closing my accounts partially as a negotiating tactic, especially since my first cc was an amex over 21 years ago and that is a key piece to a credit report. i think once reviewed by a human, customer loyalty came in to play and certain algorithms can be overturned. i will continue to monitor my accounts with them and pay closer attention going forward but for now, i am keeping the green card open it has some very valuable benefits which i might be in need of

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 03:36:34 PM »
i obviously have many cc accounts through a number of different banks and told amex i was closing my accounts partially as a negotiating tactic, especially since my first cc was an amex over 21 years ago and that is a key piece to a credit report. i think once reviewed by a human, customer loyalty came in to play and certain algorithms can be overturned. i will continue to monitor my accounts with them and pay closer attention going forward but for now, i am keeping the green card open it has some very valuable benefits which i might be in need of
You seriously sound like you think Amex is reading this and thinking “Hmm, which customer is this?”..

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 01:32:22 AM »
but for now, i am keeping the green card open it has some very valuable benefits which i might be in need of
What might those be?