Author Topic: SPG Cash + Points in LA  (Read 1269 times)

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
SPG Cash + Points in LA
« on: September 09, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »
So I got my first Starwood consumer & business cards. I got the first 10k bonus and looked for SPG Cash & Points options in LA for a trip I have booked Jan 8 -11.  I found a Cash & Points option at the SLS Beverly Hills - a $450/nt room for (4800 points +$90).  There was availability for my dates plus other scattered dates throughout October - February.  My second 10k posted for the consumer card about 3 days later.  Went to book the room this past Monday and the Cash&Points option was gone.

I understand C&P is subject to availability, but here is where things get fishy...

I looked at the rate calendar for the SLS.  *ALL* of the open dates for C&P had been greyed out.  There is now zero available nights for C&P from now through March 2013 (2013! Not 2012!).
Looking at other hotels in the LA area, they all have the same problem. All of the hotels have zero C&P dates.  I called the SPG main number on Tuesday to ask about it and the agent was dumbfounded and said he'd open a ticket with their IT department.  I called the SLS after that and they confirmed that they do participate in C&P but are unable to book an award for me.  I called the SPG Gold number on Wednesday to ask again and that rep was dumbfounded as well and said she'd open a ticket.

Which takes me to today.  Still no availability for any of the hotels.  I called the SPG Gold number today and got a similar run around, but this time the rep basically said there are no C&P availability for any hotel from now until the end of 2013 for any of the hotels in LA.

This is my first time working with Starwood Hotels and so far it is not going smoothly at all.  Does anyone with more experience than me seen this before?  Or have any ideas on how I can go about finding a C&P reward in the LA area?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: SPG Cash + Points in LA
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 04:30:24 PM »
C&P is always up to the discretion of the hotel. 
Sometimes there's a bug on SPG.com and you have to call the hotel directly to get a C&P night.

Anyway in LA the Sheraton LAX is actually very good for an airport hotel and is just 4K points per night.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YudiG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 01:47:02 PM »
The Westin LAX is decent as well...if you're SPG Gold the suites are quite nice.

Offline S G

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 03:29:35 PM »
I am trying to book a room at a four points (avg rate $148/night). With starpoints the room is available for 3000 points. Does it make sense to buy 3000 points (the current rate is $17.5/500 points) and then book it? Am I missing something here?

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 03:39:44 PM »
nop