Author Topic: Kauai and the Big Island of Hawaii: 3yummyboys style  (Read 18771 times)

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kauai and the Big Island of Hawaii: 3yummyboys style
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 06:46:22 PM »
We drove to Akaka Falls, which took about 20 minutes to do the entire loop, I highly recommend it. We also went to Rainbow Falls which were also gorgeous. Near Rainbow Falls, there was a cluster of Banyan trees that we spent some time climbing. We drove the 4 mile scenic route, which was a worthwhile detour. We went to Wai’ale falls, although we were not really sure where the trail was and turned around after getting eaten alive by mosquitoes.
IMG_0979 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0949 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0946 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0918 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0971 by n d, on Flickr

Somewhere near Boiling Pots, we stopped at a fruit stand that had over 30 different types of bananas. The guy working there took us to the fields and we got to eat some bananas right off the trees. Did you know that there is a banana called the ice cream banana? It’s texture is really creamy, hence the name. We also splurged on a white pineapple and WOW! DH does not even like pineapple but this one was so good! We also tried mangosteen and rambutan which we enjoyed, as well as a few different types of dragon fruit. The fruit here is out of this world!

mangosteen

Rambutan
We drove to some beaches, although all of the beaches on the island were closed due to the storm. They had lifeguards patrolling to make sure no one went in the water. We started by Keaukaha Beach and then went down to Richardson’s Ocean Center to watch the waves.

IMG_1006 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_1007 by n d, on Flickr

And all too soon, it was our last night in Hawaii ...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:12:51 PM by 3yummyboys »

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 07:13:57 PM »
Tuesday morning we got up (relatively) early and went to snorkel at Kahalu’u Beach. There are two areas where you can go into the water, to the left was for snorkelers and to the right was for boards. We when to the right area because it was basically empty. DH snorkeled next to a turtle!
We went back to the rental home to shower and get packed up, and then we went to Ali’i Drive to pick up some souvenirs and enjoy our last day there. All of the shop owners that we met were really nice and eager to help. We bought a cool necklace for each of our mother’s, and the lady at the store allowed us to video her explaining why those stones are special and particularly Hawaiian. We stumbled across Falafel in Paradise and it was awesome! Chef Meir was great, it was cool to hear his story. Both the sabich and falafel were excellent.
IMG_1183 by n d, on Flickr
All too soon, it was time for our flight to HNL. Even though we had 2 different PNRs, they were able to interline our bags all the way to Newark (I heard they do not do this anymore). HA agent was a stickler about weight, we were entitled to 4 suitcases and only had 3 but she still made us take things out so they were 50 lbs. She also weighted our carryons. We checked in with time to spare (or so I thought) and decided to relax before going through security. About 45 minutes before the flight, I realized that I packed my wallet in my luggage which was already on the plane and had no identification. After waiting for a supervisor, they asked me if I had anything with my name, like a prescription bottle, which I did. They separated me from my husband and would not let me talk to him. They had to put my name through some kind of security screening and then gave me a very thorough pat down. They went through every single item in my carry on bags. I was starting to get anxious about missing the flight, but apparently there are only a few security agents in KOA so it took forever. We just made it onto our flight as they were going to close the doors. HA really takes punctuality seriously!

We used AA passes to get into the Sakura lounge in HNL, it was nothing special but we were only there for about 30 minutes anyway. We flew from HNL-EWR on United in J, it was great to sleep on the flight, service was ok but not as good as AA. In EWR we wanted to use the United lounge to freshen up, but apparently it’s for international travelers only. At baggage claim we met a couple who lives in HNL and her sister/brother runs the Chabad on the Big Island.
After a truly incredible trip, we Ubered it back home to reality, wondering if we would ever be able to make it back again. Little did we know that circumstances would turn out that we are planning to visit Kauai and the Big Island again this summer, with the kids this time! TR coming soon IYH

IMG_0274 by n d, on Flickr
Random beach picture

IMG_0268 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_1193 by n d, on Flickr
Typical Hawaii  “Hours: noonish till closing”

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2016, 08:42:15 AM »
Awesome TR

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2016, 01:30:23 PM »
Awesome TR

Thanks. It was an awesome trip.

Offline Buruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2016, 04:30:09 PM »
Very nice! Did you go back already, or are you going this summer?

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2016, 04:38:20 PM »
This summer iyH
I would love to do it in the winter but this is when we all have off

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2016, 01:34:17 AM »
Beautiful TR!

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2016, 04:37:35 PM »
I was googling info for my next trip and saw a post on trip advisor that someone said they were stuck in the hotel in poipu for two days due to rain! How sad, no one explained the variable Hawaii weather to them! 

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2016, 12:47:06 AM »
Great TR, especially the parts which showed it's possible to do things that don't involve strenuous hikes which my DW hates.

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2016, 06:54:11 AM »
Great TR, especially the parts which showed it's possible to do things that don't involve strenuous hikes which my DW hates.

I'm going with my parents and kids in a few weeks, no strenuous hikes at all and we have a packed itinerary. If you need someone to convince DW to go, have her call me

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2016, 10:29:02 AM »

I'm going with my parents and kids in a few weeks, no strenuous hikes at all and we have a packed itinerary. If you need someone to convince DW to go, have her call me
Thanks. I don't think I need to convince DW to go, I just need to convince her to leave our daughter with my mom while we go.

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2016, 03:28:34 PM »
Thanks. I don't think I need to convince DW to go, I just need to convince her to leave our daughter with my mom while we go.

i had it all lined up and my family said we can't go that far the first time we leave our child with them in case he won't calm down....  >:( >:(

Offline Matovu

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond,
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2016, 03:48:36 PM »
i had it all lined up and my family said we can't go that far the first time we leave our child with them in case he won't calm down....  >:( >:(
Would love a real open discussion about this. Maybe it's own thread.
I just got back from Hawaii, we have 8 kids. Only 2 were in camp. We took along one. Bribed sibling couple to move in to us. Theu are getting a mostly paid vacation in the Rockies for it.

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2016, 04:58:39 PM »
I think you have to know your own kids and what they can handle. I think most kids will be ok without their parents for a short time, especially if they are with family.
DH and I feel strongly that we need alone time and that ultimately the kids benefit from that מנוחת הנפש it brings us. Having said that, I understand the feeling that you want to be close just in case of anything.

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »
i think there are lots of different factors to consider like ages of kids, sibling dynamics, length of trip, relationship to/parenting style of caregivers
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2020, 01:38:18 PM »
This summer iyH
I would love to do it in the winter but this is when we all have off

what happened with your Kauai and Big Island summer TR (with kids)?