2014 - VacationLover's Sedona and the Grand Canyon TR
2015 - PBaruch's Dreams of Flight - Hummingbirds and Arizona
2016 - Pbaruch's Motorhome Adventures in Utah and Arizona
2016 - drewsky9's Arizona Trip Report
2016 - MahRabuMasecha's Vegas Zion Page Grand Canyon Sedona TR
2016 - ShlockDoc's Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming
2017 - Davidmal's Phoenix & Scottsdale for 5 Hours
2018 - Ikelunious99's Arizona Trip Report

Utah has it's own master thread and wiki at https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15858.0

Activities

Phoenix

Arizona Cardinals (NFL Football)
Arizona Coyotes (NHL Hockey)
Arizona Diamondbacks (MLB Baseball)
Phoenix Suns (NBA Basketball)

Camelback Mountain
Desert Botanical Garden
Encanto Park
Goldfield Ghost Town
Japanese Friendship Garden
Lost Dutchman State Park
Nordstrom Last Chance - one of the few in the world.
Octance Raceway- Extremely fast Go-Karting
Scottsdale Old Town

Arizona Science Center (Indoor)
Museum of Musical Instruments (Indoor)
Queen Creek Olive Mill (Olive farm and mill, with Olive 101 'factory' tour)
Arizona Boardwalk (entertainment complex, with aquarium, butterfly conservatory, etc. www.azboardwalk.com)
Children’s Museum of Phoenix (for kids under age 10, they claim to be top 3 Children's Museum in the country).

Sedona, AZ
Stunning red rock formations and scenery viewable throughout the small city with unique views along the many hiking trails (including Devil's bridge, West Fork Trail, and Sugar Loaf Loop)
Off road jeep tours (e.g. Pink Jeep Tours)
eclectic outdoor shopping
Slide rock state park: Natural water slide in creek (just north of Sedona)

Grand Canyon National Park (South Rim)
There are two trails from the south rim that go down into the canyon (and all the way to the canyon floor, which is a strenuous multi-day hike). You can experience a taste of it, by turning around at any point.
  • South Kaibab Trail - One of the top rated trails for the GC (trail descends into the canyon, uphill climb on return)
  • Bright Angel Trail - Also one of the top rated trails for GC (trail descends into the canyon, uphill climb on return)
There are also trails along the south rim (called Rim Trails) that don't descend into the canyon, and are relatively flat. These offer views of the canyon and are dotted with various scenic viewpoints. Some areas of the rim trail are paved others are not. These may be more suitable those with young children or those fear of hiking near the edge of the canyon cliffs. The National park shuttle buses also transport passengers to various points within the park, along the south rim.
A PDF map of grand canyon national park south rim is at https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/upload/sr-pocket-map.pdf
Grand Canyon National Park Lodges

Nearby attractions outside the National Park include:
  • Skywalk
  • Bearizona Wildlife Park - Williams, AZ

Page AZ
Lake Powell (popular lake for boating, with kayak, motor boat, pontoon boat, houseboat rentals, Jetski, boat tours, and swimming). Lake and surrounding canyon walls are uniquely scenic together (it's actually a huge artificial reservoir surrounded by canyon walls, resulting from the construction of the Glen Canyon Dam
Carl Hayden Visitor Center at the Glen Canyon Dam (Free museum about the Glen Canyon Dam)
Horseshoe bend (popular scenic overlook of a 180 degree bend in the Colorado river)
Antelope Canyon (beautiful slot canyons with stunning photography opportunity, controlled by Native Americans with entrance fees and guided tour, advance reservations are needed. Fees were recently increased to $60-$100/pp)

Tucson

Saguaro National Park

Kosher Restaurants

See the following for up to date info:
--http://www.kosherphoenix.org/index.php/kosher-food-in-phoenix/restaurants/
--https://www.ahavastorah.org/restaurants.html 

Phoenix

Cafe Chenar
LaBella Pizzeria and Restaurant
Manhattan Pizza & Subs
Samarkand Restaurant Glatt Kosher

Scottsdale

Fresh Mint
Kitchen 18
Milk+ Honey Espresso Bar & Eatery

Groceries

Imperial Market & Deli

Shuls

Ohr Hatorah Congregation- Located in Phoenix Map
Chabad Jewish Center of North Phoenix Map
Ahavas Torah:The Scottsdale Torah Center Map

Chabad of Flagstaff AZ (Kosher meals available), Minyanim in the summer and chol hamoed (1 hour south of the Grand Canyon National Park)

« Last edited by Yr18 on October 02, 2023, 08:46:50 AM »

Author Topic: Arizona Master Thread  (Read 379738 times)

Offline Yoko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Master Thread
« Reply #780 on: June 05, 2017, 07:14:50 PM »
Long. Should def do it after you go to Sedona. There is a Hyatt in Sedona you can stay for the night.
I plan on driving from Scottsdale to the GC and stopping in Sedona for an hour or so on the way back the same day. Any tips on where to go at the GC or Sedona?
 How was the Biltmore?

Offline aarony

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 05, 2017, 07:42:01 PM »
Download the pocket map from the official site and familiarize yourself with the rim and the bus routes.    There are two entrances to the Grand Canyon Southrim.  For a one-day back and forth I would suggest coming in on the south entrance which is faster but skips a lot of the viewing points to the east   

My recommendation for a one day visit would be park at bright angel and take the bus to Mohave point.  Walk back to Powell point  (you will have a very nice view along the way and it's a good view of the colarado river below) from Powell point take the bus back to bright angel. .  Then drive to visitors center and check out Mather point which is very popular.  If you have enough time take the bus from the visitors center to the south Kaibab  trail and walk down to ooh ah point. It is about 20 minutes down and about 35 minutes back up for the average out of shape guy.  If you do hike down make sure you take some water with you and sunscreen if it is sunny. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:45:56 PM by aarony »

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 05, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »
I plan on driving from Scottsdale to the GC and stopping in Sedona for an hour or so on the way back the same day. Any tips on where to go at the GC or Sedona?
 How was the Biltmore?

Pink Jeep for Sedona.

Biltmore was amazing. Wasnt even able to see 20% of the resort since it was so big

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 05, 2017, 08:19:20 PM »
I'd probably do 613 grill as a nice ambience and Segal's is hit or miss BUT it does have a much larger menu and good Chinese...if you're not set on meat, I'd choose La Bella over both.

Ended up doing 613.
Food was good but was very turned off that they charge a credit card fee. Never had that happen at a restaurant

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 05, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »
Ended up doing 613.
Food was good but was very turned off that they charge a credit card fee. Never had that happen at a restaurant

That is crazy! Especially since the place isn't cheap...

Offline Yoko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 05, 2017, 10:04:43 PM »
Pink Jeep for Sedona.

Biltmore was amazing. Wasnt even able to see 20% of the resort since it was so big
Did you get upgraded?

Offline Yoko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 05, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »
Download the pocket map from the official site and familiarize yourself with the rim and the bus routes.    There are two entrances to the Grand Canyon Southrim.  For a one-day back and forth I would suggest coming in on the south entrance which is faster but skips a lot of the viewing points to the east   

My recommendation for a one day visit would be park at bright angel and take the bus to Mohave point.  Walk back to Powell point  (you will have a very nice view along the way and it's a good view of the colarado river below) from Powell point take the bus back to bright angel. .  Then drive to visitors center and check out Mather point which is very popular.  If you have enough time take the bus from the visitors center to the south Kaibab  trail and walk down to ooh ah point. It is about 20 minutes down and about 35 minutes back up for the average out of shape guy.  If you do hike down make sure you take some water with you and sunscreen if it is sunny. 

Good stuff! Thanks for the itinerary.

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 05, 2017, 10:18:39 PM »
Did you get upgraded?

Yes to a Grand Suite

Offline Yoko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 05, 2017, 10:26:12 PM »

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 05, 2017, 10:27:58 PM »
How?

Just have to be nice at check in. Was gold member so maybe they were a bit nicer.

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 06, 2017, 03:26:58 PM »
How was the drive to the grand canyon?
i stayed overnight in Flagstaff and then drove back straight to phoenix the next day. i think that was about 3 hours

Offline Saver

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 11, 2017, 05:46:37 PM »
HI! Just wondering if anyone can advise us.
We are iyh going in the beginning of July from Vail, colorado to Moab Utah (we are stopping at Arches National canyon) and then need to stay somewhere for the night that is in between Moab and Flagstaff.
Any suggestion of where to stay between Moab and Flagstaff and anything that we should stop on the way to see that is not out of the way?
On Friday, we are iyh driving from that location to Flagstaff for Shabbos, we are staying in Flagstaff.
Sunday, we are iyh driving to the Grand Canyon and back to Flagstaff
Monday we are possibly going to Sedona and then heading back.  (Some of the people of our family are flying out of Flagstaff on Monday.)
Any suggestions of where to stop on the way (must see without adding extra time to our trip?

Thanks!

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 11, 2017, 06:19:39 PM »

Thank you! We're planning on landing in PHX about 11, renting a car and driving straight. (stop for pizza?) catch some viewpoints, sunset stay overnight in holiday Inn GC, and then need to be back in PHX by 6 pm the next day . Same itinerary recommended?

Offline Saver

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 11, 2017, 06:49:13 PM »
Does anyone know of a professional photographer that we could take to take pictures of our family in Grand Canyon or in Moab Utah? (or in Flagstaff Arizona) we would just want a half hour session with a great background.

Offline aarony

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 11, 2017, 07:50:39 PM »
Thank you! We're planning on landing in PHX about 11, renting a car and driving straight. (stop for pizza?) catch some viewpoints, sunset stay overnight in holiday Inn GC, and then need to be back in PHX by 6 pm the next day . Same itinerary recommended?

Pretty much the same I really enjoyed ooh ah  point at sunrise and recommend that you do that in the morning if you can. one or two hours after sunrise would also be good. for sunsets mathis point should be very nice.

If you have time when leaving you can leave through the east entrance and see the view points along the way. that will add some time to your trip.

Make sure you download and study the packet map before hand  it has almost all the information you will need

If you plan on stopping for pizza or sandwiches in Phoenix you can call the shop once you leave the airport and hopefully it will be ready when you get there

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: June 14, 2017, 03:09:40 PM »
Short TR- Davidmal's Phoenix & Scottsdale for 5 Hours
I was delayed on my flight to PHX and so ended up with 6+ hours in PHX

I decided to go for a swim being that it was 103 degrees outside
I went to the W hotel since I was a Platinum Member I figured I could work it out and went for a quick swim and watched the finals by the bar.
then off to
Kitchen 18 which was so good and they pray next door at chabad
then back to the airport .

I forgot to take a photo of this Burger
I got this one from Google of their SW Burger.

If you get it listen to me carefully.
SOUTHWEST BURGER
Ranch & Spicy Sauce.
I think it was their Spicy chili sauce It was so spicy that I couldn't handle more than a spoon on my burger.
It was so good and apropos South West I told them they need to only serve it that way.
Hopefully they listened.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:21:04 PM by davidmal »
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #796 on: June 14, 2017, 05:53:39 PM »
I miss kitchen 18, and i live in NYC. that place is such a great value.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 25, 2017, 01:46:25 AM »

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 26, 2017, 02:46:14 PM »
I hope to make Arizona Part 2 of a 12 day trip next summer. I know some of the Yosemite/Grand Canyon lodgings for families book early so trying to plan ahead. Hope to be spending week 1 in SFO/Yosemite and spending Shabbos in Los Angeles. I will have several kids in tow but older ones to assist as well.

I was thinking that we would drive to Grand Canyon leaving LA on Sunday morning and sleeping in hotel by Grand Canyon Sunday night. We would try to make sunset and if we have more time do some of the viewpoints. What we don't have time for we can do first thing Monday. Anything else worth stopping at while I'm there (besides Imax)?

Monday late morning we would probably head out towards Sedona, taking the scenic route with maybe taking short hike end of day. Find some sort of VRBO rental home.

Tuesday maybe do Pink Jeep tour. What else? How much hiking can we do already in 100 degree weather with a bunch of kids?

Wednesday drive to PHX, do day activity (open for ideas), maybe get a good meal and probably take red eye out Wednesday night.  I know heat can be oppressive.

I would appreciate any suggestions, input or critique.

Thank you

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 26, 2017, 11:36:44 PM »
I hope to make Arizona Part 2 of a 12 day trip next summer. I know some of the Yosemite/Grand Canyon lodgings for families book early so trying to plan ahead. Hope to be spending week 1 in SFO/Yosemite and spending Shabbos in Los Angeles. I will have several kids in tow but older ones to assist as well.

I was thinking that we would drive to Grand Canyon leaving LA on Sunday morning and sleeping in hotel by Grand Canyon Sunday night. We would try to make sunset and if we have more time do some of the viewpoints. What we don't have time for we can do first thing Monday. Anything else worth stopping at while I'm there (besides Imax)?

Monday late morning we would probably head out towards Sedona, taking the scenic route with maybe taking short hike end of day. Find some sort of VRBO rental home.

Tuesday maybe do Pink Jeep tour. What else? How much hiking can we do already in 100 degree weather with a bunch of kids?

Wednesday drive to PHX, do day activity (open for ideas), maybe get a good meal and probably take red eye out Wednesday night.  I know heat can be oppressive.

I would appreciate any suggestions, input or critique.

Thank you

1) Go earlier in the summer if possible. more hiking and jeeping possibilities
2) You're doing a lot of extra driving. I would hit all your stops by doing LAX-SFO-FAT/MMH/MPI - GCN-PHX
3) I think it's impossible to drive from LAX to GCN with a van full of kids and get there in time to enjoy sunset.
4) Sedona has gorgeous resorts