Author Topic: Safest and cheapest way to assure a Southwest ticket  (Read 1263 times)

Offline raccah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Safest and cheapest way to assure a Southwest ticket
« on: February 21, 2014, 05:16:19 PM »
So, I messed up a flight of mine, and I chose SFO instead of LAX, and now the price is too much to change. The nice UAL agent was willing to waive the change fee, but wanted 250 more dollars for the change in price. Anyway, I have tons of miles on SWA, so I thought I would grab a flight from SFO to LAX and all would be great.

However, since my flight to SFO can be delayed or I can miss it, God forbid, and who knows what, and these are not connecting flights, I thought I could book a full fare flight with points and then when I land cancel it and grab the 10K point flight - is this doable? Or will they really not "refund" my points?

Thanks!
David

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Safest and cheapest way to assure a Southwest ticket
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »
How long is the stopover? Are all the flights on Southwest? It shouldn't be a problem.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 05:25:46 PM »
My flight is with UAL to SFO and then I want to use a 10K carrier to LAX. I thought about SWA, but now I see that I can get the same cost from UAL. Do you think I can call them and have them attach the tickets for me??? Also, this way I do not need to clear security again, no baggage - just a carry on.

Offline Crazy tools

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 07:29:02 PM »
So, I messed up a flight of mine, and I chose SFO instead of LAX, and now the price is too much to change. The nice UAL agent was willing to waive the change fee, but wanted 250 more dollars for the change in price. Anyway, I have tons of miles on SWA, so I thought I would grab a flight from SFO to LAX and all would be great.

However, since my flight to SFO can be delayed or I can miss it, God forbid, and who knows what, and these are not connecting flights, I thought I could book a full fare flight with points and then when I land cancel it and grab the 10K point flight - is this doable? Or will they really not "refund" my points?

Thanks!
David
Bad idea.
The 10k points flight is most probably not going to be available right before the flight.

Just book the 10k point flight now, and you can cancel it until 10 min before the flight - even after check-in

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 10:25:52 PM »
So guys, if I book a UAL miles ticket and a SWA miles ticket can I cancel them both an hour before flying? If I book super save 10K ticket and wanna get away 10K ticket, can I get mu miles back if I cancel them or not?

Not clear where this is written. Sounded like from the United guy, that once I book the saver 10K ticket with miles, I can use it for a year, but they will not refund me my ticket if I miss the plane or take SWA. Not sure what SWA rules are?

Please help!

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 10:32:59 PM »
With sw you can cancel with full refund any miles ticket up to 10 min before flight.
^^^

Offline Crazy tools

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 02:29:27 AM »
With SW you can cancel any mileage ticket for a full refund, up to 10 min before the flight.
FTFY
Just to make it as little easier to understand