Author Topic: How to find a cheap ticket on UA  (Read 1923 times)

Offline md

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
How to find a cheap ticket on UA
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:41:14 AM »
I have an unused $2400 ticket with UA, they will only allow me to rebook a ticket ($250 fee) in my name. However I can purchase a ticket for myself & any leftover $ will be issued to me as a voucher for purchase of anyones tickets. I therefore want to buy the cheapest possible ticket from/to anywhere (not to use) so that I can get the voucher. Any ideas how to find the cheapest ticket? TIA

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: How to find a cheap ticket on UA
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:44:57 AM »
 If it was me Id look for the cheapest Full fare 1 way tkt , so that I could use the value of that tkt on another flight as well

dont know of any city pair off hand but try doing asearch on the UA Forum on www.flyertalk.com Im sure its been discussed at sometme on there.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:56:22 AM »
 Off the top of my head Id be looking at something out West LAX-LAS or LAX-SFO any place where Southwest flys also = $39-49 fares 1 way

Offline md

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:59:18 AM »
If it was me Id look for the cheapest Full fare 1 way tkt , so that I could use the value of that tkt on another flight as well

dont know of any city pair off hand but try doing asearch on the UA Forum on www.flyertalk.com Im sure its been discussed at sometme on there.
Great advise,thanks. If I cancel a full fare, is the credit issued in a voucher? If yes, can I combine to vouchers when booking tickets?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 11:30:07 AM »
Great advise,thanks. If I cancel a full fare, is the credit issued in a voucher? If yes, can I combine to vouchers when booking tickets?

whenever a person CXs a res the refund goes back to whatever form of payment was made at the time of purchase. (so if I use my Chase CO CC to purchasea tkt and later CX the tkt and I already CXed my Chase CO CC , the refund will still go back to that CC and I will receive a Statement from Chase showing a Credit in my favor, Id then have to call them and ask that a check be cut and sent to me)

as to if U can combine 2 certs I dont know I never ran into that but most Carriers have a 1 cert policy per PNR unless more then 1 cert was issued and it states they are combinable. Online its 1 per res so youd probably ahve to call up and that probably will incur some type of afee for having the Agent book it for you.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »
Book a refundable CLE-ORD one-way flight for $137+ on 11/17.
You may be able to get a voucher with that or at least you can use it in your name for a future flight.
Or just book LAX-SFO on 09/15 for $49+ nonrefundable and throw it away.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline md

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:05:12 PM »
Book a refundable CLE-ORD one-way flight for $137+ on 11/17.
You may be able to get a voucher with that or at least you can use it in your name for a future flight.
Or just book LAX-SFO on 09/15 for $49+ nonrefundable and throw it away.
Thanks Dan & Steve, you guys are great.