Author Topic: Get to israel with points/miles  (Read 4754 times)

Offline Danny99

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Get to israel with points/miles
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 08:11:48 PM »
I have 100k MR with Amex and 50k with united - additionally my wife has 50k with united. any ideas on how to go to israel in sept.???
Thanks,

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Get to israel with points/miles
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 02:08:23 AM »
I have 100k MR with Amex and 50k with united - additionally my wife has 50k with united. any ideas on how to go to israel in sept.???
Thanks,

Id say Unfortunately U are stuck with UA, Ok they dont fly to TLV yet (they will once the UA/CO merge is completed)

UA via its Star Alliance partners apx 7 do go into TLV is 75k for coach and 115k for biz, I said Unfortunately since UA has something called Star Blocking which most People do NOT properly understand.

What SB is this every Carrier in an Alliance will let its members cash in their miles for a tkt on another of the Alliances Carriers. Now every so often they straighten things out so if say 100 LHs members cashed in for 1000 UA tkts and 1000 UA members also cashed in for 1000 LH tkts (lets assume each 1000 were for US-Europe travel in coach) then these 2 Carriers wont owe each other even a Penny. What UA does is allow for tkting as long as they see theres no over weighted equation where they wil owe the other Carrier any $$$, once UAs computers spits out they are getting close to having to owe the other carrier $$ UA will shut off the ability to cash in on that other Carrier , till such time that enough of that other carriers members cash in for UA tkts to keep the seesaw balanced

since most people would rather not fly on UA, they have very limited cities they serve in Europe so the balance is usually against UA and thusly at time sit can be very hard to find availability on the other Carriers when using UA miles.

From all Ive read UA doesnt simply block out all the other carriers, but people think thats the case since it can be very hard to get anything on the other Carriers using UA miles.

If avaialble U can fly with US or CO non-stop from PHL or EWR, or connect in Europe the better chance is with LH (lufthansa) UA main partner

So 1st you need to join ANA so that you can use their site to check for flights, then you need to check both ANA and CO to see what if anything is available and then you need to call UA and ask them if the fklights you found are showing on their screen, if they arent showing then the balance is against UA with that carrier and till it changes they wont let any other tkts be gotten

now that I probabaly did a good job in confusing you ask away what U dont understand

also be very flex with the dates U want to fly, via what city and the length of the layover between flights. the more demanding you are theless chance of finding anything. a 10 hr layover and arriving onto TLV at say 3am is alot easier to find then the flight arriving at say noon