Author Topic: which graphics card do i upgrade to?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline 123ablack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
which graphics card do i upgrade to?
« on: June 22, 2017, 12:25:17 AM »
Hi, i was looking for a thread discussing this, could not locate. if such a thread exists please merge.

I have an XPS 8700 (Dell Code 210-AACE) and i am currently on a dual monitor setup. i would like to add a third monitor but my video card wouldn't support 3 monitors.

Here is my current Graphics Card info: AMD RadeonHD 7570 1GB GDDR5 (Dell Code: 490-BBCQ) which only has 2 ports (DVI and HDMI). which graphics card would be compatible with my computer. i would want one that  supports up to 4 monitors (with at least 1 HDMI) and has 2GB

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!   

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: which graphics card do i upgrade to?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 07:10:00 AM »
Just for using a third monitor it would be a waste to upgrade the graphics card, you can use the 2 ports on the graphics card as well as the on board graphics port.

Offline 123ablack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »
Just for using a third monitor it would be a waste to upgrade the graphics card, you can use the 2 ports on the graphics card as well as the on board graphics port.

Thanks for reapondin!
Actually, that's what I tried doing before and it didn't work out.

I read on some tech forums that I should be able to connect my third monitor to my onboard ports (in my case being HDMI and DP). I also read that I need to enable multi display in BIOS and I did that. Rebooted a couple of times and still no go.. the 2 Dell P2214H monitors (connected to the video card - one via DVI and the other via HDMI) continue to work fine while the third monitor (Dell U2415 Connected to Onboard HDMI or Display Port - tried both) does not get recognized by the system.

Interesting part is that when I boot the system when all 3 monitors are connected (2 to the graphic card and 1 to the onboard hdmi or dp), all screens would stay blank. I would see the power button being lit on the computer itself and on all the screens but the screens themselves would remain dark and blank.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »
When you try with all 3, they remain totally off, or somewhat lit and the cursor is there?

If you want to buy a new dedicated graphics card with 4 monitor support the most affordable is something like the 1050 Ti from Gigabyte https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Geforce-Windforce-Graphic-GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD/dp/B01M6Y671T

Offline 123ablack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:01:17 PM »
Now this is awkward.. I just changed cable on the third screen from HDMI/HDMI to DP/DP and now when I restart, only this screen with turn on with my entire desktop (which is normally on 2 screens) pushed in to this screen. My original 2 monitors that are connected to the graphics card won't turn on at all. Seems like it's either or.. graphics card monitors or onboard port monitors

Offline 123ablack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 09:05:42 PM »
And when I go in to the monitor settings, it doesn't even find the original 2 monitors connected to the graphic card. It only picks up the new third one which is connected to the onboard port and it names it "1. (Default Monitor)

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:11:56 PM »
Now this is awkward.. I just changed cable on the third screen from HDMI/HDMI to DP/DP and now when I restart, only this screen with turn on with my entire desktop (which is normally on 2 screens) pushed in to this screen. My original 2 monitors that are connected to the graphics card won't turn on at all. Seems like it's either or.. graphics card monitors or onboard port monitors
It is very hard for me to troubleshoot this without being there....but 1) have you enabled Advanced→ Onboard Device Configuration→ Intel Multi-Display? 2) Is your BIOS and video drivers (both the Intel and the AMD) up to date from Dell?

Offline 123ablack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 09:46:17 PM »
Haven't done that yet. Bios Date is 6/24/2013 Ver: 04.06.05

Gonna update bios but I can't seem to find the specs of my integrated video. At device Manger it would only show the AMD 7570 one. How do I know which integrated one I have so I can use the proper update?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 09:49:08 PM »
Haven't done that yet. Bios Date is 6/24/2013 Ver: 04.06.05

Gonna update bios but I can't seem to find the specs of my integrated video. At device Manger it would only show the AMD 7570 one. How do I know which integrated one I have so I can use the proper update?
Don't do manual updating. Use Dell's Detect Product to detect your product and then let it Detect Updates http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?app=drivers

Offline 123ablack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 09:52:43 PM »
Well that's the problem... dell would not detect my system nor would it detect my Service or Express Service code. I've already spent hours on the phone with various dell departments to no avail.

Seems like I have to do it manually. At dell support I entered XPS 8700 and it's giving me only one bios update option so I think I'm safe with that it also gives me only one Intel HD Graphic driver update option. Same with the AMD Radeon. Only one option. Not safe?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »
Well that's the problem... dell would not detect my system nor would it detect my Service or Express Service code. I've already spent hours on the phone with various dell departments to no avail.

Seems like I have to do it manually. At dell support I entered XPS 8700 and it's giving me only one bios update option so I think I'm safe with that it also gives me only one Intel HD Graphic driver update option. Same with the AMD Radeon. Only one option. Not safe?
It is a bit risky. I'm not sure how to go about it.