Author Topic: Signing up for multiple cards help  (Read 3043 times)

Offline DavidM

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Signing up for multiple cards help
« on: November 06, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »
When signing up for multiple cards, does your credit get shot because of all the sign ups (assuming sign up are NOT for multiple cards on multiple browsers)?
Also, when canceling a lot of cards, won't credit card issuers not approve you anymore because they see that that you sign up for bonuses and then cancel?
Is it true that if you sign up for business cards your credit does not get affected?

I am a beginner at this "game" :)

Offline joeb1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
Re: Signing up for multiple cards help
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:19:57 PM »
apparently.
there are many posts on all this info...search and ull find 99% of those qs will be answered

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 11:44:53 PM »
apparently.
there are many posts on all this info...search and ull find 99% of those qs will be answered
+1
When signing up for multiple cards, does your credit get shot because of all the sign ups (assuming sign up are NOT for multiple cards on multiple browsers)?
Also, when canceling a lot of cards, won't credit card issuers not approve you anymore because they see that that you sign up for bonuses and then cancel?
Is it true that if you sign up for business cards your credit does not get affected?

I am a beginner at this "game" :)

Welcome !

Online AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 03:15:15 AM »

Each application dings your credit score a few points. So, yes, it could have a negative effect on your credit score.

No. Not IME. There are many reasons people cancel credit cards (avoiding annual fee/change in spending patterns/better awards).

Not true.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 03:22:37 AM »
Each application dings your credit score a few points. So, yes, it could have a negative effect on your credit score.

Not each application, each hard pull/credit inquiry.

Not true.

Business credit lines aren't typically reported, so they don't affect your credit unless you're delinquent. The application will affect your score line a consumer app, if your report is pulled for the app, that'll ding your score for a short while.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 03:25:16 AM »
Not each application, each hard pull/credit inquiry.

True, but the OP said: "(assuming sign up are NOT for multiple cards on multiple browsers)." AFAIK, that's the only way to avoid a hard pull. Without that tactic, the general rule is 1 application = 1 pull.

Business credit lines aren't typically reported, so they don't affect your credit unless you're delinquent. The application will affect your score line a consumer app, if your report is pulled for the app, that'll ding your score for a short while.

My thoughts exactly.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline DavidM

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:07:18 PM »
Thank you all!
How long does it take for credit to recover after a hard pull?  Similar question, do people sign up for cards until they get rejected and then wait for their credit to improve to sign up for a slew of cards again?

Online AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:09:32 PM »
Thank you all!
How long does it take for credit to recover after a hard pull?  Similar question, do people sign up for cards until they get rejected and then wait for their credit to improve to sign up for a slew of cards again?

I'm not sure its an exact science, but inquiries apparently lose some of their potency after 6 and 12 months, and fall off entirely after 24 months.

Can't answer the second one for you. I guess that'd vary, but wouldn't be my tack.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 12:10:40 PM »
I'm not sure its an exact science, but inquiries apparently lose some of their potency after 6 and 12 months, and fall off entirely after 24 months.

Possibly sooner.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline DavidM

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 04:12:02 PM »
Ok.  I read how people signed up for hundreds of cards.  Is that over several years?  I just signed my wife and I for a Chase freedom account, and it is pretty easy to get the bonus (Spend $500 in 3 months, that is like 5 Starbucks coffees!)  I would like to sign up for more cards to rake in the miles and points but have no clue as to the approach; like how to do it without roasted our credit, or what to do to build it back...  What do you experienced fellas do/recommend?

Thank you.  Looking forward to teaching others  :)

Online AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 05:50:55 PM »
Ok.  I read how people signed up for hundreds of cards.  Is that over several years?  I just signed my wife and I for a Chase freedom account, and it is pretty easy to get the bonus (Spend $500 in 3 months, that is like 5 Starbucks coffees!)  I would like to sign up for more cards to rake in the miles and points but have no clue as to the approach; like how to do it without roasted our credit, or what to do to build it back...  What do you experienced fellas do/recommend?

Thank you.  Looking forward to teaching others  :)

To my knowledge, a single individual cannot successfully sign up for "hundreds" of cards in one year, so, yes, that'd be over a course of years.

As for applying for a number of cards, do research on triple browser method (or 3BM).