Author Topic: The wisdom (or lack thereof) of charging tuition  (Read 3391 times)

Offline MrsZev

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The wisdom (or lack thereof) of charging tuition
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 02:04:52 PM »
http://www.dansdeals.com/go/InkPlus

-50K signup points.
-0% APR for 6 months.
-Balance has no effect on your credit score.

Thanks, Dan! Unless we get an unexpectedly-generous tuition assistance ruling, we'll need 0% APR for longer than 6 mo and it doesn't look like we could transfer remaining from the Ink to the Slate (Chase-to-Chase).

We may be able to convince the school to waive the CC fee for 50/50 payments- one at summer, one in December, in which case I'd plan on churning the Ink in Dec. There's a whole host of new contingencies with that plan, however (now I'd need 2 Inks with high-enough limit to charge half our tuition, I already have an Ink Plus from last Dec's churn- could I churn it in a year?, the school may not waive the CC processing fee and 50/50 isn't one of their default payment options, etc.)

I started to do the math on the value of different points, though, to see if there's any way it comes out ahead to accept the CC processing fee for 9 equals. Thing is, we don't really have any specific travel plans/goals for the next year or two, so I'm kind of still only haphazardly collecting points, not really knowing which will best serve us long term. Hard to align a CPP/CPM in that circumstance.

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 02:07:20 PM »
Why can't you buy VR, send it to BB and have them write a check.
School gets full money, you don't have to worry about APR

Offline MrsZev

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 02:40:13 PM »
Why can't you buy VR, send it to BB and have them write a check.
School gets full money, you don't have to worry about APR

Pros:
- Possible double-dip on points (min spend/initial payment + VR to pay balance, while it lasts)
- ensures at least single points are earned for tuition (I'm enjoying Bluebird/VRs, but y'can't count on it lasting forever, and this ensures I'll get points for tuition, even if VRs go away).
- some flexibility in the payment schedule (pay more on 3 paycheck months, less on 2 paycheck months)
- frees up limits in other payment services (we also pay our rent, babysitter, cleaning help, grad school tuition, etc. via Bluebird & Amazon Payments, and don't want to open additional accounts to expand monthly limits.)