Author Topic: looking for PsyD or PhD program accepted in NY  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Entrepreneur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
looking for PsyD or PhD program accepted in NY
« on: May 10, 2013, 11:01:14 AM »
I am looking to get licensed in NY to have a psychologist practice.  Does anyone know of the easiest program/school that is accepted by NY to get licensed?  (don't worry, already have a masters in school psych and have several years experience.  Just can't open up a private practice outside of a school setting and I am not interested in going down the psychotherapist route)  There are schools that you can get licensed in lets say Arizona, but that may not necessarily transfer over to NY.

Thanks

Offline george

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: looking for PsyD or PhD program accepted in NY
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »
I am looking to get licensed in NY to have a psychologist practice.  Does anyone know of the easiest program/school that is accepted by NY to get licensed?  (don't worry, already have a masters in school psych and have several years experience.  Just can't open up a private practice outside of a school setting and I am not interested in going down the psychotherapist route)  There are schools that you can get licensed in lets say Arizona, but that may not necessarily transfer over to NY.

Thanks
AFAIK licensing has nothing to do with which school you went to. If you want to be licensed in NY then you would need to take the NY state licensing exam. Every state has their own. Somebody please CMIIW as I am not talking from direct experience.

Offline Entrepreneur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 01:21:17 PM »
AFAIK licensing has nothing to do with which school you went to. If you want to be licensed in NY then you would need to take the NY state licensing exam. Every state has their own. Somebody please CMIIW as I am not talking from direct experience.
Even if you pass the exam, you need to meet specific education requirements.

Offline george

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »
Even if you pass the exam, you need to meet specific education requirements.
and they only accept Psy.D. and PhD from schools in certain states and not others? Sounds like a highly strange policy. If the degree is earned from an accredited school, why do they care what state it is in?

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 04:34:58 PM »
and they only accept Psy.D. and PhD from schools in certain states and not others? Sounds like a highly strange policy. If the degree is earned from an accredited school, why do they care what state it is in?
What makes you think it's accredited. Sounds like a shady online Phoenix university matzav
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.