2014 - VacationLover's Sedona and the Grand Canyon TR
2015 - PBaruch's Dreams of Flight - Hummingbirds and Arizona
2016 - Pbaruch's Motorhome Adventures in Utah and Arizona
2016 - drewsky9's Arizona Trip Report
2016 - MahRabuMasecha's Vegas Zion Page Grand Canyon Sedona TR
2016 - ShlockDoc's Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming
2017 - Davidmal's Phoenix & Scottsdale for 5 Hours
2018 - Ikelunious99's Arizona Trip Report

Utah has it's own master thread and wiki at https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15858.0

Activities

Phoenix

Arizona Cardinals (NFL Football)
Arizona Coyotes (NHL Hockey)
Arizona Diamondbacks (MLB Baseball)
Phoenix Suns (NBA Basketball)

Camelback Mountain
Desert Botanical Garden
Encanto Park
Goldfield Ghost Town
Japanese Friendship Garden
Lost Dutchman State Park
Nordstrom Last Chance - one of the few in the world.
Octance Raceway- Extremely fast Go-Karting
Scottsdale Old Town

Arizona Science Center (Indoor)
Museum of Musical Instruments (Indoor)
Queen Creek Olive Mill (Olive farm and mill, with Olive 101 'factory' tour)
Arizona Boardwalk (entertainment complex, with aquarium, butterfly conservatory, etc. www.azboardwalk.com)
Children’s Museum of Phoenix (for kids under age 10, they claim to be top 3 Children's Museum in the country).

Sedona, AZ
Stunning red rock formations and scenery viewable throughout the small city with unique views along the many hiking trails (including Devil's bridge, West Fork Trail, and Sugar Loaf Loop)
Off road jeep tours (e.g. Pink Jeep Tours)
eclectic outdoor shopping
Slide rock state park: Natural water slide in creek (just north of Sedona)

Grand Canyon National Park (South Rim)
There are two trails from the south rim that go down into the canyon (and all the way to the canyon floor, which is a strenuous multi-day hike). You can experience a taste of it, by turning around at any point.
  • South Kaibab Trail - One of the top rated trails for the GC (trail descends into the canyon, uphill climb on return)
  • Bright Angel Trail - Also one of the top rated trails for GC (trail descends into the canyon, uphill climb on return)
There are also trails along the south rim (called Rim Trails) that don't descend into the canyon, and are relatively flat. These offer views of the canyon and are dotted with various scenic viewpoints. Some areas of the rim trail are paved others are not. These may be more suitable those with young children or those fear of hiking near the edge of the canyon cliffs. The National park shuttle buses also transport passengers to various points within the park, along the south rim.
A PDF map of grand canyon national park south rim is at https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/upload/sr-pocket-map.pdf
Grand Canyon National Park Lodges

Nearby attractions outside the National Park include:
  • Skywalk
  • Bearizona Wildlife Park - Williams, AZ

Page AZ
Lake Powell (popular lake for boating, with kayak, motor boat, pontoon boat, houseboat rentals, Jetski, boat tours, and swimming). Lake and surrounding canyon walls are uniquely scenic together (it's actually a huge artificial reservoir surrounded by canyon walls, resulting from the construction of the Glen Canyon Dam
Carl Hayden Visitor Center at the Glen Canyon Dam (Free museum about the Glen Canyon Dam)
Horseshoe bend (popular scenic overlook of a 180 degree bend in the Colorado river)
Antelope Canyon (beautiful slot canyons with stunning photography opportunity, controlled by Native Americans with entrance fees and guided tour, advance reservations are needed. Fees were recently increased to $60-$100/pp)

Tucson

Saguaro National Park

Kosher Restaurants

See the following for up to date info:
--http://www.kosherphoenix.org/index.php/kosher-food-in-phoenix/restaurants/
--https://www.ahavastorah.org/restaurants.html 

Phoenix

Cafe Chenar
LaBella Pizzeria and Restaurant
Manhattan Pizza & Subs
Samarkand Restaurant Glatt Kosher

Scottsdale

Fresh Mint
Kitchen 18
Milk+ Honey Espresso Bar & Eatery

Groceries

Imperial Market & Deli

Shuls

Ohr Hatorah Congregation- Located in Phoenix Map
Chabad Jewish Center of North Phoenix Map
Ahavas Torah:The Scottsdale Torah Center Map

Chabad of Flagstaff AZ (Kosher meals available), Minyanim in the summer and chol hamoed (1 hour south of the Grand Canyon National Park)

« Last edited by Yr18 on October 02, 2023, 08:46:50 AM »

Author Topic: Arizona Master Thread  (Read 379765 times)

Offline jack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Arizona Master Thread
« on: November 29, 2009, 10:11:05 AM »
Anyone have any tips on Arizona?  I think I want to stay in Tucson - anyone have any hotel recommendations?  Things to do?

Is there kosher food?

Any help would be great.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:58:29 PM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Arizona
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 10:41:57 AM »
My grandparents live there in the winter.  It's pretty and surrounded by mountains, and IIRC there are some nice trails in the foothills.  It's hot during the day and surprisingly cold at night.

Never been to any restaurants there, so if there are any kosher ones I'm guessing they're nothing to write home about.  A quick search came up with 5th St. Deli, but I know nothing about their reliability or anything else about them.

I know SPG has a Westin resort in Tucson.

Anyway, why Tucson over Phoenix/Grand Canyon?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 12:24:41 PM »

Anyway, why Tucson over Phoenix/Grand Canyon?

The GC this time of year can be Freezing and I woke up in Williams the next morn with snow drifts up to my you know what.

However theres no place like Sedona, its off the I-17 appx 40 mins south of Flagstaff, Red Rock Country and if a  person hasnt been there they are truly missing out on a great experience. sorry no SPG, there is a Hilton. even just for a day trip from PHX its worth it just leave early morn so you can get some day hikes in and do Pinks Jeep Tour to Broken Arrow. No place to eat so some nosh in the supermarket will have to do

Offline me

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 12:58:46 PM »
I went last year for a few days to phoenix. As far as I know there nothing really in Tucson, but there are many kosher places in Phoenix and its closer to the general attractions. I went to Sedona and it was awesome

Offline jack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »
you guys are great - thanks!

Offline rm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 07:05:42 PM »
I was in phoenix this past summer. In one day we drove up to Sedona and then to the Grand Canyon. And back. We did the Pink Jeeps too in Sedona. In phoenix, we ate a kosher fleishig place in Phoenix which also has a side kosher market. We actually picked up kosher food from just a regular supermarket.(Bread,cheese,franks ect.)

Offline jack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 11:57:26 AM »
Sedona in 50 degrees now. BBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I think I am going to have to stay in phoenix.  Any advise what to do?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 12:23:25 PM »

I think I am going to have to stay in phoenix.  Any advise what to do?

1- its alot colder at the GC

2- for me thats perfect temps for doing the day hikes, its good even if all you do is drive around and take in the Red Rocks from inside your car but what a waste not climbing Cathedral Rock, and you dont want it to be too warm when you do it

Offline me

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 09:22:48 PM »

When I went (last Feb.) it was snowing. But it was still beutiful!! (and worth the $150 jeep ride)

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 10:05:56 AM »
Dan, would you happen to have any inside info on the HP in Scottsdale? I heard you stayed there *a few* times. Is it a nice area? Tell us about it!

:)
-Eli

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 11:39:27 AM »
Dan, would you happen to have any inside info on the HP in Scottsdale? I heard you stayed there *a few* times. Is it a nice area? Tell us about it!

:)
LOL-more than a few times!!!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mos

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Arizona
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 01:22:24 PM »
I'm planning a week trip to Arizona for the begining of August. I would like to spend time in the grand canyon as well as phoenix. Tickets to Grand canyon airport and Phoenix airport are in the $400 range. I was looking for suggestions as to area airports, and or airlines that might be cheaper. I would also like to know about car rentals, hotels, and attractions.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 01:40:05 PM »
 June/July/Aug I usually make it out West a good few times, this year forget about it as you have found out Fares are thru the roof and not worth going. Although I havea Vegas trip planned for Sun costme $153 after a cert was applied, will be there for all of 7 hrs but will earn 6100 EQMs :)  the purpose of the trip

If U still go U should know PHX has the highest of all airports for Fees,Taxes and Surcharges on Rental cars where Im not surprised when those add up to be more then the cost of the car. Best thing is to find a local rental location and bus it to them or if not far cab it.

if U do go make sure to spend some time in Sedona its off the I-17 which is the hway you will take to get to the GC, also if you have tons of time forget about the GC by Flagstaff and go up to the Northern Rim instead in Utah

Nothing really close Airport wise Vegas is apx 6+ hrs away and ONT/PSP etc are not much better, unless you land and go straight to the GC but that still a very long schelp and alot of burning of gas

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 02:17:07 PM »
We made it from LAS to the Grand Canyon South Rim in 4.5 hours, definitely not a 6+ hour trip unless you're going far under the speed limit!
It's really not much further than PHX.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 04:17:34 PM »
We made it from LAS to the Grand Canyon South Rim in 4.5 hours, definitely not a 6+ hour trip unless you're going far under the speed limit!
It's really not much further than PHX.

PHX to Willams 1 place to turn to get to the GC is a 2+ hr drive. Pushing it Ive meade it from LAS to Sedona in alittle over 4 add it all up and with a person who hasmt been that way and if traveling with kids = having to make stops = an easy 6+ hr drive LAS-PHX also thats from when they already have teh car, land and need to 1st get the car tack on some more time

Now last time I was palying with heading to the LA/LAS area everything was north of $400 so no raeson to fly anywhere but PHX and save all that extra driving time and $$ for gas.

Or simply Id recommend driving down to Shenadaoh Park in Virigina great park a couple of nice waterfalls or up to Maine and Arcadia and leave the West Im sorry to say till airfares are more normal

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 11:38:10 PM »
Havasu Canyon is a must if you're a bit adventerous. Just type that into google and your mouth will drop when you see the images of the different waterfalls.

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Re: Arizona Master Thread
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 01:27:05 PM »
Any decent places to spend Shabbos near PHX?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 01:39:00 AM »
FYI Hertz is renting cars for OW into Arizona for $5/day up to 14 days. Beginning Aug 18
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 04:41:11 PM »
Any decent places to spend Shabbos near PHX?

There's a Groupon - $299 for friday and motzei shabbos.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-c-sedona-rouge?c=all&p=0
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline jack

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 12:49:14 AM »
Looking for info on food in Scottsdale recommended restaurants?  Any attractions/activities for the ultra observant ;-)!  Also, hotels was going to do pheonician.
Many thanks!