2014 - VacationLover's Sedona and the Grand Canyon TR
2015 - PBaruch's Dreams of Flight - Hummingbirds and Arizona
2016 - Pbaruch's Motorhome Adventures in Utah and Arizona
2016 - drewsky9's Arizona Trip Report
2016 - MahRabuMasecha's Vegas Zion Page Grand Canyon Sedona TR
2016 - ShlockDoc's Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming
2017 - Davidmal's Phoenix & Scottsdale for 5 Hours
2018 - Ikelunious99's Arizona Trip Report

Utah has it's own master thread and wiki at https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15858.0

Activities

Phoenix

Arizona Cardinals (NFL Football)
Arizona Coyotes (NHL Hockey)
Arizona Diamondbacks (MLB Baseball)
Phoenix Suns (NBA Basketball)

Camelback Mountain
Desert Botanical Garden
Encanto Park
Goldfield Ghost Town
Japanese Friendship Garden
Lost Dutchman State Park
Nordstrom Last Chance - one of the few in the world.
Octance Raceway- Extremely fast Go-Karting
Scottsdale Old Town

Arizona Science Center (Indoor)
Museum of Musical Instruments (Indoor)
Queen Creek Olive Mill (Olive farm and mill, with Olive 101 'factory' tour)
Arizona Boardwalk (entertainment complex, with aquarium, butterfly conservatory, etc. www.azboardwalk.com)
Children’s Museum of Phoenix (for kids under age 10, they claim to be top 3 Children's Museum in the country).

Sedona, AZ
Stunning red rock formations and scenery viewable throughout the small city with unique views along the many hiking trails (including Devil's bridge, West Fork Trail, and Sugar Loaf Loop)
Off road jeep tours (e.g. Pink Jeep Tours)
eclectic outdoor shopping
Slide rock state park: Natural water slide in creek (just north of Sedona)

Grand Canyon National Park (South Rim)
There are two trails from the south rim that go down into the canyon (and all the way to the canyon floor, which is a strenuous multi-day hike). You can experience a taste of it, by turning around at any point.
  • South Kaibab Trail - One of the top rated trails for the GC (trail descends into the canyon, uphill climb on return)
  • Bright Angel Trail - Also one of the top rated trails for GC (trail descends into the canyon, uphill climb on return)
There are also trails along the south rim (called Rim Trails) that don't descend into the canyon, and are relatively flat. These offer views of the canyon and are dotted with various scenic viewpoints. Some areas of the rim trail are paved others are not. These may be more suitable those with young children or those fear of hiking near the edge of the canyon cliffs. The National park shuttle buses also transport passengers to various points within the park, along the south rim.
A PDF map of grand canyon national park south rim is at https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/upload/sr-pocket-map.pdf
Grand Canyon National Park Lodges

Nearby attractions outside the National Park include:
  • Skywalk
  • Bearizona Wildlife Park - Williams, AZ

Page AZ
Lake Powell (popular lake for boating, with kayak, motor boat, pontoon boat, houseboat rentals, Jetski, boat tours, and swimming). Lake and surrounding canyon walls are uniquely scenic together (it's actually a huge artificial reservoir surrounded by canyon walls, resulting from the construction of the Glen Canyon Dam
Carl Hayden Visitor Center at the Glen Canyon Dam (Free museum about the Glen Canyon Dam)
Horseshoe bend (popular scenic overlook of a 180 degree bend in the Colorado river)
Antelope Canyon (beautiful slot canyons with stunning photography opportunity, controlled by Native Americans with entrance fees and guided tour, advance reservations are needed. Fees were recently increased to $60-$100/pp)

Tucson

Saguaro National Park

Kosher Restaurants

See the following for up to date info:
--http://www.kosherphoenix.org/index.php/kosher-food-in-phoenix/restaurants/
--https://www.ahavastorah.org/restaurants.html 

Phoenix

Cafe Chenar
LaBella Pizzeria and Restaurant
Manhattan Pizza & Subs
Samarkand Restaurant Glatt Kosher

Scottsdale

Fresh Mint
Kitchen 18
Milk+ Honey Espresso Bar & Eatery

Groceries

Imperial Market & Deli

Shuls

Ohr Hatorah Congregation- Located in Phoenix Map
Chabad Jewish Center of North Phoenix Map
Ahavas Torah:The Scottsdale Torah Center Map

Chabad of Flagstaff AZ (Kosher meals available), Minyanim in the summer and chol hamoed (1 hour south of the Grand Canyon National Park)

« Last edited by Yr18 on October 02, 2023, 08:46:50 AM »

Author Topic: Arizona Master Thread  (Read 379723 times)

Offline PBaruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Master Thread
« Reply #420 on: August 30, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »
Shabbas take out.....

Challahs... the works...

Where and what time do they close?

Landing in PHX at ~ 9:14am going to be in Scottsdale for Shabbas IMYH

http://www.thekitchen18.com/

We very much enjoyed this restaurant.  They have a Shabbos take out menu.
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #421 on: October 18, 2015, 01:40:19 PM »

We very much enjoyed this restaurant.  They have a Shabbos take out menu.

Going next week- any recommendations?

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 18, 2015, 03:39:03 PM »
Going next week- any recommendations?

I had a burger there and it was phenomenal.  When I commented on how good it was I was told that it was grass fed beef which made a big difference.  The kids had chicken strips with fries and liked it.  DW had two different kinds of wraps (chicken and meat) which she also liked.

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 18, 2015, 06:14:39 PM »
I had a burger there and it was phenomenal.  When I commented on how good it was I was told that it was grass fed beef which made a big difference.  The kids had chicken strips with fries and liked it.  DW had two different kinds of wraps (chicken and meat) which she also liked.
How new is this place? I don't recall it being open in the summer when I was there...

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 18, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »
How new is this place? I don't recall it being open in the summer when I was there...

I don't know how long it has been open but it was open for at least 3 years.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 18, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »
I don't know how long it has been open but it was open for at least 3 years.
Oh what a shame.... I would deffinetly have checked it out.... What hashgacha is it under, the vaad?

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 18, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »
Oh what a shame.... I would deffinetly have checked it out.... What hashgacha is it under, the vaad?

Chabad of Scottsdale.  I met the Chabad Rabbi who gives the hashgacha this summer.  He happened to be there during one of our visits.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 18, 2015, 08:30:46 PM »
Chabad of Scottsdale.  I met the Chabad Rabbi who gives the hashgacha this summer.  He happened to be there during one of our visits.
Is that considered to be on par with the vaad?

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 18, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
Is that considered to be on par with the vaad?

The Chabad is stricter because of Pas and Chalav Israel (although I definitely eat the Vaad).  There is also a dairy restaurant (can't remember the name) in Scottsdale now under the Vaad instead of Chabad because they wanted to add in Chalav Stam items.  Also an awesome Asian vegan restaurant called Fresh Mint under the Vaad and they delivered to our hotel through the Eat24 app (it felt like getting room service). ;)  You can search all these restaurants on Shamash.

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #429 on: October 19, 2015, 02:01:24 PM »
The Chabad is stricter because of Pas and Chalav Israel (although I definitely eat the Vaad).  There is also a dairy restaurant (can't remember the name) in Scottsdale now under the Vaad instead of Chabad because they wanted to add in Chalav Stam items.  Also an awesome Asian vegan restaurant called Fresh Mint under the Vaad and they delivered to our hotel through the Eat24 app (it felt like getting room service). ;)  You can search all these restaurants on Shamash.

Mozart Cafe, decent place which btw is right next door to Paprika. Both of which are a 5 minute Uber from the Hyatt. Or 20 minute scenic walk.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #430 on: December 15, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »
We've been to Scottsdale before for a short trip, a very nice SPG hotel. Visited Sedona at that time. There was food around. There was a shul 1.5 miles away (Rabbi Shoshan?). So my question is, if we want to go to that area again with the following, what is recommended? Need a shul, hopefully closer for Shabbos. Need food, restaurants (?), food for Shabbos, maybe Shabbos friendly hotel. Have two free Marriot category 4 and one free Marriot category 5 (I don't see anything that's really nice on those categories). Have AA mileage, some Avios as well. Any help on the above would be appreciated. This is for mid winter - end of Jan to beginning Feb, 6 days. Thanks
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 15, 2015, 12:47:56 PM »
We've been to Scottsdale before for a short trip, a very nice SPG hotel. Visited Sedona at that time. There was food around. There was a shul 1.5 miles away (Rabbi Shoshan?). So my question is, if we want to go to that area again with the following, what is recommended? Need a shul, hopefully closer for Shabbos. Need food, restaurants (?), food for Shabbos, maybe Shabbos friendly hotel. Have two free Marriot category 4 and one free Marriot category 5 (I don't see anything that's really nice on those categories). Have AA mileage, some Avios as well. Any help on the above would be appreciated. This is for mid winter - end of Jan to beginning Feb, 6 days. Thanks

I would suggest that you contact Chabad of Scottsdale - http://www.chabadofscottsdale.org/

There are a few hotels right near the shul and Kitchen 18 where you can order food for Shabbos.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #432 on: December 15, 2015, 01:47:53 PM »
I would suggest that you contact Chabad of Scottsdale - http://www.chabadofscottsdale.org/

There are a few hotels right near the shul and Kitchen 18 where you can order food for Shabbos.
Great. Thanks.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 24, 2015, 05:07:17 PM »
Finally went through all the posts as quickly as possible. Going to Scottsdale IYH end of January to beginning Feb to Kierland villas. Been there once before, used mileage (60,000 6 nights). They don't do upgrades in the villas but they're nice. Shabbos will have to walk to Scottsdale center to daven about mile - mile and a half? Seems like plenty of food around. Will try to do some of what I read through like Sedona (second time). It was awesome last time. Saw a couple of other things we'll try. Paid for AA tickets cause it wasn't worth the points (as per my dansdeals inquiry, thanks). Any updates on places, food, etc., please write. Thank you all for the advice. Great group!

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 25, 2015, 12:14:53 AM »
Finally went through all the posts as quickly as possible. Going to Scottsdale IYH end of January to beginning Feb to Kierland villas. Been there once before, used mileage (60,000 6 nights). They don't do upgrades in the villas but they're nice. Shabbos will have to walk to Scottsdale center to daven about mile - mile and a half? Seems like plenty of food around. Will try to do some of what I read through like Sedona (second time). It was awesome last time. Saw a couple of other things we'll try. Paid for AA tickets cause it wasn't worth the points (as per my dansdeals inquiry, thanks). Any updates on places, food, etc., please write. Thank you all for the advice. Great group!

I've stayed there and the villas are also nice because they have kitchenettes to help store and heat food.  My sons tried out the Waverider surfing machine at the main pool and had fun...Also Fresh Mint restaurant will deliver there and you can eat by the pool!

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 25, 2015, 10:48:27 AM »
I've stayed there and the villas are also nice because they have kitchenettes to help store and heat food.  My sons tried out the Waverider surfing machine at the main pool and had fun...Also Fresh Mint restaurant will deliver there and you can eat by the pool!
thx

Offline abe2

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 09, 2016, 11:09:35 PM »
Hi,

What are the best food places in Phoenix/Scottsdale? 

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 09, 2016, 11:25:31 PM »
Hi,

What are the best food places in Phoenix/Scottsdale?

We really enjoyed this restaurant in Scottsdale:

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 10, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »
Okay, leaving in a couple of weeks mid winter, arriving Wednesday evening returning Tuesday, Scottsdale. Besides Sedonna, which we plan on doing the jeep ride, any other recommendations for a couple with no children? Also, any updates on food besides kitchen 18 and segals? Milchig? Shabbos food for our villa? (We feel the 2 hr trip to Sedonna is enough, we've done the canyon before so don't plan on that this time). Any ideas would be appreciated.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 10, 2016, 04:22:28 PM »
Okay, leaving in a couple of weeks mid winter, arriving Wednesday evening returning Tuesday, Scottsdale. Besides Sedonna, which we plan on doing the jeep ride, any other recommendations for a couple with no children? Also, any updates on food besides kitchen 18 and segals? Milchig? Shabbos food for our villa? (We feel the 2 hr trip to Sedonna is enough, we've done the canyon before so don't plan on that this time). Any ideas would be appreciated.

There are many options in Arizona but it depends on how far you are willing to drive around.  This past summer we went to Sedona, Grand Canyon, Wupatki National Monument, Sunset Crater National Monument and  Petrified Forest National Park.  Last year we stopped by Meteor Crater.  Do a search for national monuments/parks in Arizona and you will find plenty of stuff to do.