2014 - VacationLover's Sedona and the Grand Canyon TR
2015 - PBaruch's Dreams of Flight - Hummingbirds and Arizona
2016 - Pbaruch's Motorhome Adventures in Utah and Arizona
2016 - drewsky9's Arizona Trip Report
2016 - MahRabuMasecha's Vegas Zion Page Grand Canyon Sedona TR
2016 - ShlockDoc's Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming
2017 - Davidmal's Phoenix & Scottsdale for 5 Hours
2018 - Ikelunious99's Arizona Trip Report

Utah has it's own master thread and wiki at https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15858.0

Activities

Phoenix

Arizona Cardinals (NFL Football)
Arizona Coyotes (NHL Hockey)
Arizona Diamondbacks (MLB Baseball)
Phoenix Suns (NBA Basketball)

Camelback Mountain
Desert Botanical Garden
Encanto Park
Goldfield Ghost Town
Japanese Friendship Garden
Lost Dutchman State Park
Nordstrom Last Chance - one of the few in the world.
Octance Raceway- Extremely fast Go-Karting
Scottsdale Old Town

Arizona Science Center (Indoor)
Museum of Musical Instruments (Indoor)
Queen Creek Olive Mill (Olive farm and mill, with Olive 101 'factory' tour)
Arizona Boardwalk (entertainment complex, with aquarium, butterfly conservatory, etc. www.azboardwalk.com)
Children’s Museum of Phoenix (for kids under age 10, they claim to be top 3 Children's Museum in the country).

Sedona, AZ
Stunning red rock formations and scenery viewable throughout the small city with unique views along the many hiking trails (including Devil's bridge, West Fork Trail, and Sugar Loaf Loop)
Off road jeep tours (e.g. Pink Jeep Tours)
eclectic outdoor shopping
Slide rock state park: Natural water slide in creek (just north of Sedona)

Grand Canyon National Park (South Rim)
There are two trails from the south rim that go down into the canyon (and all the way to the canyon floor, which is a strenuous multi-day hike). You can experience a taste of it, by turning around at any point.
  • South Kaibab Trail - One of the top rated trails for the GC (trail descends into the canyon, uphill climb on return)
  • Bright Angel Trail - Also one of the top rated trails for GC (trail descends into the canyon, uphill climb on return)
There are also trails along the south rim (called Rim Trails) that don't descend into the canyon, and are relatively flat. These offer views of the canyon and are dotted with various scenic viewpoints. Some areas of the rim trail are paved others are not. These may be more suitable those with young children or those fear of hiking near the edge of the canyon cliffs. The National park shuttle buses also transport passengers to various points within the park, along the south rim.
A PDF map of grand canyon national park south rim is at https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/upload/sr-pocket-map.pdf
Grand Canyon National Park Lodges

Nearby attractions outside the National Park include:
  • Skywalk
  • Bearizona Wildlife Park - Williams, AZ

Page AZ
Lake Powell (popular lake for boating, with kayak, motor boat, pontoon boat, houseboat rentals, Jetski, boat tours, and swimming). Lake and surrounding canyon walls are uniquely scenic together (it's actually a huge artificial reservoir surrounded by canyon walls, resulting from the construction of the Glen Canyon Dam
Carl Hayden Visitor Center at the Glen Canyon Dam (Free museum about the Glen Canyon Dam)
Horseshoe bend (popular scenic overlook of a 180 degree bend in the Colorado river)
Antelope Canyon (beautiful slot canyons with stunning photography opportunity, controlled by Native Americans with entrance fees and guided tour, advance reservations are needed. Fees were recently increased to $60-$100/pp)

Tucson

Saguaro National Park

Kosher Restaurants

See the following for up to date info:
--http://www.kosherphoenix.org/index.php/kosher-food-in-phoenix/restaurants/
--https://www.ahavastorah.org/restaurants.html 

Phoenix

Cafe Chenar
LaBella Pizzeria and Restaurant
Manhattan Pizza & Subs
Samarkand Restaurant Glatt Kosher

Scottsdale

Fresh Mint
Kitchen 18
Milk+ Honey Espresso Bar & Eatery

Groceries

Imperial Market & Deli

Shuls

Ohr Hatorah Congregation- Located in Phoenix Map
Chabad Jewish Center of North Phoenix Map
Ahavas Torah:The Scottsdale Torah Center Map

Chabad of Flagstaff AZ (Kosher meals available), Minyanim in the summer and chol hamoed (1 hour south of the Grand Canyon National Park)

« Last edited by Yr18 on October 02, 2023, 08:46:50 AM »

Author Topic: Arizona Master Thread  (Read 379713 times)

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
Re: Arizona Master Thread
« Reply #500 on: March 30, 2016, 04:35:22 PM »
Yep exactly ;)
I agree. Rent a car. If you have Costco membership try them. Even if you find a good price, after booking, keep trying. My price went down three times. And they were the cheapest.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline bigworld

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 31, 2016, 03:47:14 PM »
Any one ever stay in vrbo type of place in Scottsdale or Phoenix that they recommend?

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 31, 2016, 08:00:20 PM »
Any one ever stay in vrbo type of place in Scottsdale or Phoenix that they recommend?

Not VRBO but rented tons of timeshares, which to me are the best of both worlds of the room of an apartment and amenities of a hotel.

Offline bigworld

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 01, 2016, 12:34:07 AM »
Not VRBO but rented tons of timeshares, which to me are the best of both worlds of the room of an apartment and amenities of a hotel.
Was looking in particular for a place with a private pool-time share wont cut it.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 01, 2016, 06:25:59 PM »
Was looking in particular for a place with a private pool-time share wont cut it.

ah that makes sense...

Offline jedderai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 03, 2016, 03:14:24 AM »
Scottsdale TR

While living in Silver Spring I was able to take advantage of all the direct flights going out of BWI from southwest.  Having a CP was amazing. Unfortunately, for the time being I moved to NY after school which has very few direct flights from southwest.  Zika narrowed down my options for a vacation spot as well.  However, I was able to find availability on the one daily direct flight from EWR to PHX on my anniversary weekend.  This made my decision a lot easier and I booked a flight from Thursday afternoon to Sunday morning.

After all the advice from DDFers I booked us a room at the Phoenician and rented a car from Fox.

The Phoenician is a really nice resort with a great staff.  It is also very well located.  However, I would like to point out that there is a resort fee ($30) and fee to self park ($12).  Tomorrow morning I will be looking to waive the resort fee and will update on the outcome. 

On Thursday my flight arrived around 3:30pm and we went straight to the hotel to check-in.  After walking around the hotel we decided to go to last chance.  Definitely recommend going.  If you sift through enough of their garbage patiently you will find amazing deals.  After last chance we went to Segals for dinner.  Have to say I was not so impressed.  I would probably go the chinese route next time instead of the short ribs. Fried wontons were okay. After dinner we went back to hang out at the resort and went to sleep.

On Friday I ended up waking up at around 6am due to the time difference with the east coast.  I called the concierge to see what I could do around the hotel and she recommended that I go on a hike of camelback mountain that was guided and left around 645.  The hike was actually amazing.  I never went to Hawaii and I am not such a big hiker, but I really thought it was a great experience (it was a also great weather for a hike).  The views on the summit were beautiful and you were able to get a nice 360 degree view of the PHX/Scottsdale area.  After the hike we went to pick up food at Imperial for Shabbat.  From there we went to Fresh Mint.  Have to say I am not a big vegetarian food type of guy so Ill leave a review for on that for someone else.  They did make a good limeade though.  After lunch we went to the hotel to hang out by the pool.  The pool area was amazing. They have many pools.  They even had one area with volleyball which was fun.  The pool area also had a water park type area for little kids.  This was actually the first trip we took without our 2 yr old, but there were so many activities for little kids around the hotel (feeding fish by pond, bubbles by the lawn, etc)

Saturday was relaxing.  The rooms have nice size balconies which allowed for us to make our Shabbat meals outdoors.  In the morning we walked around the hotel's cactus garden which was actually a decent size and pretty cool.  At night there was a movie showing for kids by the pool with glow in the dark tubes to hang out in the pool.  After the movie we went to Labella Pizzeria.  The calzones and pizza were actually very good and highly recommended.

Looking forward to coming back with my little son so that he can enjoy.  Hopefully next time I find the time to stay a little longer so that I can go to Sedona and GC.  However, if your looking for a place to just chill, Scottsdale alone will be enough to have a great time (at least if staying at Phoenician).

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 03, 2016, 11:27:39 PM »
Scottsdale TR

While living in Silver Spring I was able to take advantage of all the direct flights going out of BWI from southwest.  Having a CP was amazing. Unfortunately, for the time being I moved to NY after school which has very few direct flights from southwest.  Zika narrowed down my options for a vacation spot as well.  However, I was able to find availability on the one daily direct flight from EWR to PHX on my anniversary weekend.  This made my decision a lot easier and I booked a flight from Thursday afternoon to Sunday morning.

After all the advice from DDFers I booked us a room at the Phoenician and rented a car from Fox.

The Phoenician is a really nice resort with a great staff.  It is also very well located.  However, I would like to point out that there is a resort fee ($30) and fee to self park ($12).  Tomorrow morning I will be looking to waive the resort fee and will update on the outcome. 

On Thursday my flight arrived around 3:30pm and we went straight to the hotel to check-in.  After walking around the hotel we decided to go to last chance.  Definitely recommend going.  If you sift through enough of their garbage patiently you will find amazing deals.  After last chance we went to Segals for dinner.  Have to say I was not so impressed.  I would probably go the chinese route next time instead of the short ribs. Fried wontons were okay. After dinner we went back to hang out at the resort and went to sleep.

On Friday I ended up waking up at around 6am due to the time difference with the east coast.  I called the concierge to see what I could do around the hotel and she recommended that I go on a hike of camelback mountain that was guided and left around 645.  The hike was actually amazing.  I never went to Hawaii and I am not such a big hiker, but I really thought it was a great experience (it was a also great weather for a hike).  The views on the summit were beautiful and you were able to get a nice 360 degree view of the PHX/Scottsdale area.  After the hike we went to pick up food at Imperial for Shabbat.  From there we went to Fresh Mint.  Have to say I am not a big vegetarian food type of guy so Ill leave a review for on that for someone else.  They did make a good limeade though.  After lunch we went to the hotel to hang out by the pool.  The pool area was amazing. They have many pools.  They even had one area with volleyball which was fun.  The pool area also had a water park type area for little kids.  This was actually the first trip we took without our 2 yr old, but there were so many activities for little kids around the hotel (feeding fish by pond, bubbles by the lawn, etc)

Saturday was relaxing.  The rooms have nice size balconies which allowed for us to make our Shabbat meals outdoors.  In the morning we walked around the hotel's cactus garden which was actually a decent size and pretty cool.  At night there was a movie showing for kids by the pool with glow in the dark tubes to hang out in the pool.  After the movie we went to Labella Pizzeria.  The calzones and pizza were actually very good and highly recommended.

Looking forward to coming back with my little son so that he can enjoy.  Hopefully next time I find the time to stay a little longer so that I can go to Sedona and GC.  However, if your looking for a place to just chill, Scottsdale alone will be enough to have a great time (at least if staying at Phoenician).

Sounds great and so glad it all worked out in the end!

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 03, 2016, 11:48:37 PM »
Scottsdale TR

Resort fee is easily waived there IME.

Offline jedderai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 04, 2016, 01:55:16 AM »
Thanks @Denverite.  And yes @tzifanya54 I was able to get the fee waived. 

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 04, 2016, 05:25:10 PM »
Thanks @Denverite.  And yes @tzifanya54 I was able to get the fee waived.
Good for you. I've stayed there a few times, and always found them very pleasant to deal with.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #510 on: April 05, 2016, 12:44:34 PM »
srsly, is it less than crazy to go to Arizona in end of August with kids, or is the 103 temp unbearable even if we are in lazy river/pool etc? don't see many other time periods/chances to go to grand canyon (too cold in January, and then there is school...), but will I regret staying in Scottsdale?

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 06, 2016, 08:17:21 AM »
srsly, is it less than crazy to go to Arizona in end of August with kids, or is the 103 temp unbearable even if we are in lazy river/pool etc? don't see many other time periods/chances to go to grand canyon (too cold in January, and then there is school...), but will I regret staying in Scottsdale?

They are set up to deal with the heat (misters by the pool, water everywhere, covers over parking spots, etc) but it really depends on you and the kids.  I personally couldn't deal with it, especially if you have any very young children (imagine that when the wind blows it's not refreshing but getting hit with a hairdryer) but you know your family and if you all can deal, you'll have a blast on the waterslides, lazy rivers, etc.  Just a thought, why not stay in Vegas, where you can get those same awesome pools, kosher restaurants, it's not quite as hot and you are still only a day trip from the Grand Canyon?

Offline caliheat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 06, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
I've lived for a few years and can tell you from experience, end of August gets HOT! 103 is the low.. I would say more 110-120 on average.
Although, once you hit 100+, it's all the same - HOT!!
Grand Canyon would be nice at that time of year.
If you are at the pool, weather feels much nicer and very doable.
Remember, tons of sun screen and water.
You can do other many other indoor activities as well - Museums, Indoor Shopping, Indoor Fun Zones etc.
Just make sure to park your car in a shaded area whenever possible, even if it's further from an entry.
Only rent a light colored vehicle, don't want a black car absorbing all that sun!
Will you regret it? it's definitely an experience spending time in the summer "oven". If you plan it out right, won't be too bad.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #513 on: April 07, 2016, 04:40:19 PM »
Just a thought, why not stay in Vegas, where you can get those same awesome pools, kosher restaurants, it's not quite as hot and you are still only a day trip from the Grand Canyon?
thx for I put everyone. Denverite, was thinking Zona has good kosher options too, plus a hotel in eruv near hotel is nice, plus more of a family feel than LV, and most importantly plus the fact that I can get a deal for a nice 1br suite at Kieranland westin with a lazy river, don't know
Whether I can get similar family chill experience in LV. Anyway it's high 90s there no?

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 07, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »
thx for I put everyone. Denverite, was thinking Zona has good kosher options too, plus a hotel in eruv near hotel is nice, plus more of a family feel than LV, and most importantly plus the fact that I can get a deal for a nice 1br suite at Kieranland westin with a lazy river, don't know
Whether I can get similar family chill experience in LV. Anyway it's high 90s there no?

I LOVE the Westin Kierland, have stayed there multiple times and we go to AZ almost every winter but there is a big difference between 90 degrees and 110! ;)  I also wouldn't stay on the strip in a Casino resort in Vegas but I've had a blast at timeshare places (just like the Kierland Villas).  It's not near the shuls in Vegas but check out Tahiti Village in Vegas and get a comparison on price.  My kids loved their sand beach at the pool to dig and play and they also have a nice lazy river and there is no casino on the property.  I'm not saying not to go but it might be worth exploring Vegas for getting pretty much everything your getting in AZ (except for being in the eruv on Shabbos and if that is a deal breaker for you then definitely just go to Phoenix) and it will be hot in Nevada but not unbearably hot.  Just my two cents but if you go to Phoenix and just stay in the pools you also have a blast.  On another note, the Restaurant Fresh Mint will deliver via the Eat 24 app and last time we stayed at the Westin Kierland, we used it and they delivered the food to us at the pool and my kids thought it was the coolest thing ever!

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 07, 2016, 08:12:21 PM »
Very doable. I did it with kids.

Offline cohen220

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 11, 2016, 01:09:50 AM »
I have a full day tomorrow in Arizona. Based out of Phoenix area. Keep in mind I am traveling with my wife and a two year old. I am open to drive somewhere far as long as it's appropriate for a two year old. Has anyone done the Grand Canyon with a two year old? any other ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken!

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 11, 2016, 09:55:51 AM »
I have a full day tomorrow in Arizona. Based out of Phoenix area. Keep in mind I am traveling with my wife and a two year old. I am open to drive somewhere far as long as it's appropriate for a two year old. Has anyone done the Grand Canyon with a two year old? any other ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
I did Sedona and GC last Chol Hamoed Pesach with a 2.5yo. It's a lot of driving, but if you space it out right it should be okay. I wouldn't do it in one day though.

Offline drewsky9

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 12, 2016, 04:09:43 PM »
Hi,
My wife and I are going to Arizona for 4 days in May. 
Landing in Phoenix on Sunday night and leaving late Thursday night.
As of now planning on staying in Phoenix on Sunday night.
Staying in Flagstaff on Monday night and Tuesday night.
Staying in Phoenix on Wednesday night.

Monday - Sedona
Tuesday - Grand Canyon
Wednesday - ??
Thursday - Phoenix

For Wednesday should we do another day at the Grand Canyon?  What about the Petrified Forest?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Online Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 25, 2016, 02:39:44 PM »