Author Topic: Lufthansa denied delayed bag compensation  (Read 291 times)

Offline Zfel

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Lufthansa denied delayed bag compensation
« on: May 21, 2024, 01:07:02 PM »
I was on a flight a few weeks ago that got severely delayed in Newark when we all got to Munich for our connection to Tel Aviv, they had held the flight and loaded the whole plane without their luggage. At Newark they even took away my carry-on and checked it. So you can imagine when I got to Israel I had nothing. We landed on Monday and I got my bags on Friday. I was encouraged to buy some toiletries and clothes and I will be compensated.
The website says to make sure the items are needed and that I have detailed receipts. Which I did, obviously the receipts are in Hebrew.
Here is there denial:

"Of course it understandable that you had to buy a new item to bridge the time until your baggage was delivered. Please bear in mind that you as a passenger are required to keep the associated costs as low as possible, if it is probable that we will deliver your baggage soon.
Additionally, we are required by law to ask you as a passenger to quantify the value of damage and to provide valid documentation, such as proof of purchase. Shared receipts are in different language Since you have not sent these to us, we cannot comply with your request for reimbursement. We ask for your understanding for this decision.
"

I responded by email and called them that, it's in the language of the country I was in and I can't get them to switch their POS machine to print a receipt in German or English.
It's been close to a week and all I hear is silence
What is my recourse???

Offline Zfel

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Lufthansa denied delayed bag compensation
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 08:05:20 PM »
Should I file a DOT complaint?

Offline Danlover111

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 12:01:11 AM »
Should I file a DOT complaint?
Yes

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 06:29:37 AM »
I was on a flight a few weeks ago that got severely delayed in Newark when we all got to Munich for our connection to Tel Aviv, they had held the flight and loaded the whole plane without their luggage. At Newark they even took away my carry-on and checked it. So you can imagine when I got to Israel I had nothing. We landed on Monday and I got my bags on Friday. I was encouraged to buy some toiletries and clothes and I will be compensated.
The website says to make sure the items are needed and that I have detailed receipts. Which I did, obviously the receipts are in Hebrew.
Here is there denial:

"Of course it understandable that you had to buy a new item to bridge the time until your baggage was delivered. Please bear in mind that you as a passenger are required to keep the associated costs as low as possible, if it is probable that we will deliver your baggage soon.
Additionally, we are required by law to ask you as a passenger to quantify the value of damage and to provide valid documentation, such as proof of purchase. Shared receipts are in different language Since you have not sent these to us, we cannot comply with your request for reimbursement. We ask for your understanding for this decision.
"

I responded by email and called them that, it's in the language of the country I was in and I can't get them to switch their POS machine to print a receipt in German or English.
It's been close to a week and all I hear is silence
What is my recourse???
The fact is that you are eligible to around $1700 in expenses as long as you have receipts and claimed from the airlines within 21 days (Montreal Convention).
Airlines are very stingy with it and usually won't pay out unless you have a lawyer or file a claim with an enforcement body. I would start filling with DOT or SOEP, both if the first fails to help. https://soep-online.de/en/your-conciliation-request/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 06:54:34 AM by mileagejunkie »

Online sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 07:26:28 AM »
I would reply and include an official translation that you made and sign it with a notary to look more official. Worth the shot.