Author Topic: enwhycee's IGU-IGR-AEP-GRU-SCL TR  (Read 5993 times)

Offline enwhycee

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
enwhycee's IGU-IGR-AEP-GRU-SCL TR
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:34:25 AM »
Went to the Admirals lounge in JFK via the Citi Prestige card. This would be the first of 6 lounges we would encounter on this trip, due to the Prestige/Priority Select combo. The lounge was fairly disappointing, especially since they pulled the hummus off the table 30 minutes before the official closing at 11pm. At least I got a pre-flight shower in. Once in line for the flight I noticed many passengers that 'seemed like' ddfrs. Sparked up a few convos and they indeed were. All nice people. I would imagine a dozen on my flight booked through DD.com

First flight was on LAN in Y JFK-LIM. Had a 4.5 hour layover in Lima, and ended up paying one of the Mercedes Benz Taxis to take us on a quick tour of the city center. Since it was early in the morning most business's were closed. Fortunately we got a chance to stop at the Sheraton for some great pisco sours before heading back to the airport.

Next flight was LAN LIM-IGU, we arrived around 6pm. Since we were staying at the Belmond located in the park, we took a taxi to the main gate for the national park for less than $10. Through industry connections, I got the travel agent rate of $250 a night. Then we got on the Belmond shuttle for another 10 minute ride to the hotel. Right when you pull up to the front of the hotel, you can see and hear the waterfall. Since it was dark, I didn't really 'see' it until the next day. From the Brazil side all you need is about 1-2 hours to see everything. We also did the heli tour and went to bird zoo, which was fun.

Stayed for 2 nights and had a great time at the Belmond. The actual rooms don't seem like 5 star, but the rest of the hotel was spectacular. Yes, I could see the falls from my room window, which was pretty awesome. Spent some time laying by the pool which was very nice. Also great buffet for dinner and breakfast.

After we checked out, took a taxi for about $40 usd across the border to Puerto Iguazu. Stayed 1 night at the Grand Crucero for about $120 usd. Obviously a downgrade from the Belmond, but perfect for the location and price. I would recommend.

We made the decision last minute to experience the Argentine side of the falls, and it was the best decisions of the trip. Was a bit bummed it was raining in the morning, but we entered the park around noon, and still got to see the Diablos throat falls from above (DO NOT MISS THIS) and hike most of the trails, as well as the boat experience, in which you get completely drenched (Very Fun). Spent about 4 hours till the closing of park. It's easy to spend an entire day there. Walked to the Sheraton from the park, and had a Quilmes and burger while enjoying amazing view ( all while still soaking wet from boat ride) ;D. Besides that view, the Belmond is better in every other category for those wondering. IMO of course.

IMO there is no doubt that the Argentinian side is the better experience in comparison to the Brazil side. My best advice would be not to fly all the way down there and not experience the Argentina side of falls. Brazil has the amazing views, but the experience is wrapped up in 1-2 hours. I started getting bored. Argentina side is a 4+ hour, very unique experience to be in and around the falls. Not just looking at them.

to be continued.......

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: enwhycee's IGU-IGR-AEP-GRU-SCL TR
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:17:43 AM »
Beautiful photos!

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:40:20 AM »
Great report, and +1 to the Argentina side, it's a must.

Offline Chapshnell

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 10:40:49 AM »
stunning photo, really amazing

Offline Marco Polo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:53:16 AM »
Great stuff. Can't wait to do a SA trip.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 12:21:40 PM »
Wow! Nice beginning to the TR. You jumped right in!

I think that, having stayed at the Sheraton and only visited the Belmond, if we hadn't gone to both sides we would have been a bit disappointed. Even with the Argentinian side having a lot more to do, we were still happy we went to the Brazilian side just for the great views (and to catch our flight to GIG).

Can't wait for the rest!

Offline GTR

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 12:31:03 PM »
Amazing stuff dude.  Can't wait to hear all about it!

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 02:07:14 PM »
keep it coming nice pictures .

Offline yitrap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 06:24:42 PM »
Ummm...

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 01:24:41 AM »
Wow. That rainbow photo is gorgeous.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 11:34:30 AM »
so far nice report keep it coming .

Offline enwhycee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 12:08:25 PM »
Wow. That rainbow photo is gorgeous.

Yeah I didn't have anything else that could beat that, so was tough to get motivated to finish lol. One day..

I'll try to be more consistent for SIN trip.

Offline Sacagawea

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 11:30:06 AM »
wow that looks amazing! i am planning a trip to brazil and i am thinking of flying to IGU. how many days would you say you need there?

Offline enwhycee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 12:58:59 PM »
wow that looks amazing! i am planning a trip to brazil and i am thinking of flying to IGU. how many days would you say you need there?

2 nights tops. You run through the Brazil side quick .

IGR could take an extra day.

Online Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 01:15:36 PM »
2 nights tops. You run through the Brazil side quick .

IGR could take an extra day.
IGR would require an extra $160 visa if you only have a US (although it's absolutely worth it )
if you sleep in the Sheraton you can even do it all on one day

Offline Sacagawea

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 01:28:14 PM »
ok thank you.

Offline Sacagawea

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 03:16:01 PM »
Went to the Admirals lounge in JFK via the Citi Prestige card. This would be the first of 6 lounges we would encounter on this trip, due to the Prestige/Priority Select combo. The lounge was fairly disappointing, especially since they pulled the hummus off the table 30 minutes before the official closing at 11pm. At least I got a pre-flight shower in. Once in line for the flight I noticed many passengers that 'seemed like' ddfrs. Sparked up a few convos and they indeed were. All nice people. I would imagine a dozen on my flight booked through DD.com

First flight was on LAN in Y JFK-LIM. Had a 4.5 hour layover in Lima, and ended up paying one of the Mercedes Benz Taxis to take us on a quick tour of the city center. Since it was early in the morning most business's were closed. Fortunately we got a chance to stop at the Sheraton for some great pisco sours before heading back to the airport.

Next flight was LAN LIM-IGU, we arrived around 6pm. Since we were staying at the Belmond located in the park, we took a taxi to the main gate for the national park for less than $10. Through industry connections, I got the travel agent rate of $250 a night. Then we got on the Belmond shuttle for another 10 minute ride to the hotel. Right when you pull up to the front of the hotel, you can see and hear the waterfall. Since it was dark, I didn't really 'see' it until the next day. From the Brazil side all you need is about 1-2 hours to see everything. We also did the heli tour and went to bird zoo, which was fun.

Stayed for 2 nights and had a great time at the Belmond. The actual rooms don't seem like 5 star, but the rest of the hotel was spectacular. Yes, I could see the falls from my room window, which was pretty awesome. Spent some time laying by the pool which was very nice. Also great buffet for dinner and breakfast.

After we checked out, took a taxi for about $40 usd across the border to Puerto Iguazu. Stayed 1 night at the Grand Crucero for about $120 usd. Obviously a downgrade from the Belmond, but perfect for the location and price. I would recommend.

We made the decision last minute to experience the Argentine side of the falls, and it was the best decisions of the trip. Was a bit bummed it was raining in the morning, but we entered the park around noon, and still got to see the Diablos throat falls from above (DO NOT MISS THIS) and hike most of the trails, as well as the boat experience, in which you get completely drenched (Very Fun). Spent about 4 hours till the closing of park. It's easy to spend an entire day there. Walked to the Sheraton from the park, and had a Quilmes and burger while enjoying amazing view ( all while still soaking wet from boat ride) ;D. Besides that view, the Belmond is better in every other category for those wondering. IMO of course.

IMO there is no doubt that the Argentinian side is the better experience in comparison to the Brazil side. My best advice would be not to fly all the way down there and not experience the Argentina side of falls. Brazil has the amazing views, but the experience is wrapped up in 1-2 hours. I started getting bored. Argentina side is a 4+ hour, very unique experience to be in and around the falls. Not just looking at them.

to be continued.......

hi, I am traveling to IGU from GRU flying in from New York. Do I need a visa to get into brazil?

Offline enwhycee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 05:09:11 PM »
Yes

Online Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 05:15:44 PM »
Yes
only if you only have a US passport

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 11:39:19 AM »
only if you only have a US passport
Not just the US. Canada, Australia and other countries need visas, too.