List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

Hotels:

Getting Around:

Notes:

Please Update the Wiki

Author Topic: Bora Bora Master Thread  (Read 117214 times)

Online ual902

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bora Bora Master Thread
« Reply #330 on: September 17, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »
1) JFK-->BOG - 17.5K AA miles
2) BOG-->IPC-->GYE (via SCL in both directions) - 30K Dividend Miles for J (coach was only 5K less, so a no-brainer)
3) IPC-->PPT-->IPC - 25K Avios
4) GYE-->JFK - 17.5K AA miles

I could've done the boring 75K in coach to get to PPT the "normal" way, but I figured it would be worth it for an extra 15K to be in flat beds for half the trip and see some awesome places along the way ;)

Thanks!

What are you doing for hotels\OWB in BOB?

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 17, 2014, 10:59:12 PM »
Love it. Great use of different currencies and maximizing their reward charts.
Agreed that is pretty creative. And it makes IPC not so in middle of nowhere which is nice.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 17, 2014, 11:00:15 PM »
Call up one of the good hotels there, they are always great source for tourist information. Did this on many past trips when not too much info was available.
+1 do that all the time. TripAdvisor is great too.

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 17, 2014, 11:47:33 PM »
What are you doing for hotels\OWB in BOB?

The only thing that is firm so far is 2 nights at IC Thalasso (where it books into an OWB) since availability is uber-scarce. The rest of the itinerary i'm less concerned about - it will be some mix of the different IC's and Hilton's around PPT/MOZ/BOB, but i haven't researched those yet.

Agreed that is pretty creative. And it makes IPC not so in middle of nowhere which is nice.

The whole thing that puts it together is the US intra-S.A. cost. Considering how much buzz the BOS<-->DUB for 50K Avios in J gets, it's amazing that nobody talks about this which is a far better deal. The former is 6,000 miles of travel in an angled flat seat for 50K Avios. The latter can be upwards of 10K miles flying in flat beds for 30K Dividend miles, and you have a ton more flexibility (since you're not constrained to only 1 city pair where this works). And US will let you open jaw the trip so you can do something like 60K AA + 30K US can get you from anywhere in North America to IPC with 2 stopovers anywhere in Northern South America in flat beds the whole way.

How about 90K miles for NYC to IPC with stopovers in Cuzco and Galapagos in J? Now that is maximizing award charts

Call up one of the good hotels there, they are always great source for tourist information. Did this on many past trips when not too much info was available.

Good idea, I shot an email to the IC, but I doubt this will work. I don't suspect they'll no anything about this. For starters, I doubt the IC or LM have many travelers who arive to their hotel via cargo freighter. But also because this isn't just something "off the beaten path". This is well off the unbeaten ones as well
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:53:04 PM by ML1219 »

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 17, 2014, 11:52:22 PM »
The only thing that is firm so far is 2 nights at IC Thalasso (where it books into an OWB) since availability is uber-scarce. The rest of the itinerary i'm less concerned about - it will be some mix of the different IC's and Hilton's around PPT/MOZ/BOB, but i haven't researched those yet.
How did you get the IC Thalasso? Was that using points? Assuming your talking about the BOB one? I tried booking that with points but had a hard time.

Online ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 17, 2014, 11:52:34 PM »

How many points per night for the OWB BOB? the OWB  is the biggest obstacle folks have when heading to BOB.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 150
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, MLife Gold, National Executive Elite, Radisson Gold, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, DansDeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite.
« Reply #336 on: September 17, 2014, 11:56:29 PM »
How did you get the IC Thalasso? Was that using points? Assuming your talking about the BOB one? I tried booking that with points but had a hard time.

You can't book it with free night certs from IHG?

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 17, 2014, 11:57:22 PM »

How many points per night for the OWB BOB? the OWB  is the biggest obstacle folks have when heading to BOB.

You are correct that it's hard to book rooms at the IC Thalasso - that's why it's the only thing I've already reserved. As soon as I saw openings, I snatched it up.

It's 50K points a night, and it's confirmed into an OWB since all but like 2 or 3 rooms on the property are OWBs

You need to do a calendar search of availability on IHG.com to find dates that are open. It's not easy, but if you do it far enough in advance or go during non-peak times, you should be able to find something

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 18, 2014, 12:00:10 AM »
You can't book it with free night certs from IHG?

You can, it's just hard because there's very few rooms at that hotel which are considered "standard rooms" for award inventory purposes, and because of the obvious appeal of being confirmed into OWBs, what little inventory there is usually gets snatched up fast.

I will get the 2 free nights from the latest Big Win promo, but i wasn't waiting around till that happened to lock in the IC

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 18, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
You can, it's just hard because there's very few rooms at that hotel which are considered "standard rooms" for award inventory purposes, and because of the obvious appeal of being confirmed into OWBs, what little inventory there is usually gets snatched up fast.

I will get the 2 free nights from the latest Big Win promo, but i wasn't waiting around till that happened to lock in the IC
I was told that only about 5 rooms in that hotel can be for awards at any time so you are on target.

Online ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 18, 2014, 02:14:44 PM »
When is BOB off peak season?

How bad is the weather in BOB during off peak?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #341 on: September 18, 2014, 02:15:11 PM »
When is BOB off peak season?

How bad is the weather in BOB during off peak?

GIYF.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #342 on: September 18, 2014, 02:19:01 PM »
1) JFK-->BOG - 17.5K AA miles
2) BOG-->IPC-->GYE (via SCL in both directions) - 30K Dividend Miles for J (coach was only 5K less, so a no-brainer)
3) IPC-->PPT-->IPC - 25K Avios
4) GYE-->JFK - 17.5K AA miles

I could've done the boring 75K in coach to get to PPT the "normal" way, but I figured it would be worth it for an extra 15K to be in flat beds for half the trip and see some awesome places along the way ;)

Thanks!

Had a hard time visualizing, but this helped:

Green = AA miles
Red = US miles
Blue = BA Avios
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 18, 2014, 02:23:19 PM »
Had a hard time visualizing, but this helped:

Green = AA miles
Red = US miles
Blue = BA Avios

LOVE IT, just added this to my bucket list ;D

Offline ML1219

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 18, 2014, 03:00:23 PM »
If you guys are impressed with that, imagine what it would've looked like if AA didn't eliminate the free stopovers at international gateway city

"Hi, I'd like to book a flight from Guayaquil to Kauai"  8)

LOVE IT, just added this to my bucket list ;D

Here's a tip that will help you from personal experience - if you're searching on BA.com and you're not getting any availability, don't automatically assume it doesn't exist. Do a dummy booking on LAN's website and see if it prices out to the lowest mileage level (the equivalent of saver for AA) - I can't promise it will be available to OW airlines, but it has been frequent enough that it's probably worth spending 5 minutes to PUTPAC AA and double-check. Especially so with the more obscure destinations like IPC, PPT, GPS etc.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:07:14 PM by ML1219 »