Author Topic: Am I Dreaming?? Can I be this lucky?? :)  (Read 9988 times)

Offline Fefferkorn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Am I Dreaming?? Can I be this lucky?? :)
« on: October 16, 2012, 02:54:31 AM »
So I had a $270 collection on my credit report. I did a lengthy amount of research as to how to go about removing the negative mark from my credit report.
I recently opened a letter from a new collection agency (that I haven't dealt with previously) which says the following:
October 2, 2012

RE: Con Edison
Principal Due: $270.84
$.00 has been paid since placement

Dear Fefferkorn:

Your delinquent account has been turned over to this collection agency.

You are hereby notified that I.C. System will forward the account information to the national credit reporting agencies in your creditors name if you fail to fulfill the terms of your credit obligations. Of course, you will have the right then, as you do now, to inspect your credit file in accordance with federal law. I.C. System will not submit the account information to the national credit repoting agencies until the expiration of the time period described in the notice below.

Tear off bottom portion of this letter and return it with your payment.

If you would like to make a payment arrangement, or settle your account for 50% of the balance, please call us at 866/389-2027. If you choose to settle your account for 50% of the balance, Con Edison will update your credit record that you paid the account in full.

We are a debt collector attempting to collect a debt and any imformation obtained will be used for that purpose.

Sincerely,

Beth Brown
Manager

NOTICE
Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt is valid. Etc..etc..

I Immediately logged into CreditKarma and, lo and behold, the negative report from the previous collection agency (VAN RU) is gone, GONE!
First of all, I would like to know if I can rely on CreditKarma for this, also I don't know if CreditKarma reflects all 3 credit bureaus... So can someone please tell me a reliable source where I can check my 3 credit reports from all 3 agencies for accurate information specifically about this issue to see if the negative report is REALLY gone?

Also, does anyone have advice as to how to follow this up quickly before the 30 days are up and make sure this does not get reported again? I'm not sure, based on the above mentioned letter, if the collection agency actually owns the debt or they are doing the job on behalf of ConEdison.. I don't really want to PUTPAC the CA as I hear it's not a good thing to do.
Anyone have any advice as to how to proceed?
I'm ready to pay 100% of the debt if I have the certainty that this won't get reported. If I can pay 50% or less, better  ;D (or is that some kind of trick from the CA? Weird that they just offer 50% off just like that without first hearing my response...)

Please please, let me hear you!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Am I Dreaming?? Can I be this lucky?? :)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:38:28 AM »
Citi monitor.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yosel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »
always negotioate with a collection agency, they are automaticly allowd to give u a 30% discount if u pay in full..

I have taken IC systems to court and won a $1000 award, because somthing was wrong with the actual letter, and therfore violating my civil rights.... and the haimisha attoney i used was Adam Fishbein (lubavitch guy) fishbeinadamj@gmail.com i would email him the letter

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
Only trust reports directly from the big three (TU, EQ & EX). This happens all the time when accounts get bounced around. They should have no problem giving it to you in writing that this will not be reported to the CRA's.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline zek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:33:26 AM »
reply to the letter with a letter stating that you dispute the debt and ask them to verify the debt. Then go to creditboards.com and do more research /educate yourself.

Offline Fefferkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:50:37 AM »
Citi monitor.
For all three bureaus?
Link?
and the haimisha attoney i used was Adam Fishbein (lubavitch guy) fishbeinadamj@gmail.com i would email him the letter
I don't have a problem emailing him but I want to settle this as quickly and effectively and cheaply as possible. Will seeking his advice cost me a lot?
Only trust reports directly from the big three (TU, EQ & EX). This happens all the time when accounts get bounced around. They should have no problem giving it to you in writing that this will not be reported to the CRA's.
How do I get those? Can I get those online or only by mail? Remember, I have until Nov 2...
reply to the letter with a letter stating that you dispute the debt and ask them to verify the debt. Then go to creditboards.com and do more research /educate yourself.
WRONG ANSWER!! You obviously didn't follow the links I linked to in the original post...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:01:13 PM »
Yes, for $1. GIYF.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline lyla

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »
Citi monitor.
Is citi monitor the same as citi identity monitor?

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 12:10:41 PM »
Is citi monitor the same as citi identity monitor?
yes
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline zek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:01:28 PM »
For all three bureaus?
Link?I don't have a problem emailing him but I want to settle this as quickly and effectively and cheaply as possible. Will seeking his advice cost me a lot?How do I get those? Can I get those online or only by mail? Remember, I have until Nov 2...WRONG ANSWER!! You obviously didn't follow the links I linked to in the original post...
If you still don't know how to obtain a credit report, you obviously haven't educated yourself.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »
If you still don't know how to obtain a credit report, you obviously haven't educated yourself.
+1, not in a rude way.

You need to search and read.  Also the 3 threads that you linked don't have much info besides for the basics.

Offline Fefferkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 02:02:48 PM »
+1, not in a rude way.

You need to search and read.
Granted. But time is of essence here. I have another 14 days...
Also the 3 threads that you linked don't have much info besides for the basics.
They have enough info to know that I'm not looking to embark on a long journey/fight against the CA. All I want is to effectively and quickly eliminate this issue from my life and make sure the case is closed on all ends and start churning again with no issues.

Offline Fefferkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 07:19:10 PM »
Only trust reports directly from the big three (TU, EQ & EX). This happens all the time when accounts get bounced around.
Can you please point me to where I can get these?
Thanks.

P.S.

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »
Can you please point me to where I can get these?
Thanks.

P.S.
annualcreditreport.com

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 08:32:37 PM »
Or each CRA on their respective site.
Just figure out the trick, each to their own.
Didn't try it with EQ though.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Fefferkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 10:26:29 PM »
annualcreditreport.com
Is it something I can log back into later if I sign up for it now?
Because I don't have a printer at the moment and it says "to view and print".. Don't want to do it now if it's a one time view..

Offline Fefferkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 10:27:03 PM »
Citi monitor.
Would you say Citi is better that annualcreditreport.com?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »
Would you say Citi is better that annualcreditreport.com?

Better? As in what?

ACR is free free. Citi ID costs $1.

Offline Fefferkorn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 10:30:36 PM »
Better? As in what?

ACR is free free. Citi ID costs $1.
Better as in more accurate information when it comes to making sure the negative mark is gone gone from the CR.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 10:32:26 PM »
Better as in more accurate information when it comes to making sure the negative mark is gone gone from the CR.

I'd imagine they're the same, but if you're concerned, do both.