Author Topic: Alaska Master Thread  (Read 194079 times)

Offline DealJew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
Re: Alaska Master Thread
« Reply #580 on: April 26, 2023, 03:03:12 PM »
Lake Clark can be done for ~$600pp out of the Kenai Peninsula.
Is there a link for this place?
PM me for airline compensation help. Your case is not lost!

Offline solls108

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 07, 2023, 03:47:54 PM »
Where is best Salmon fishing in Vancouver?

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #582 on: June 14, 2023, 06:00:59 PM »
Is a Tahoe recommended over a large sedan? Not exactly sure where I am going yet, but is it more fitting for the roads and highways to be in a Tahoe vs a car?

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #583 on: June 14, 2023, 11:51:47 PM »
Have a few questions

1) paying few hundred extra for tahoe or take a large sedan?

2) landing 1am friday, leaving 6am thursday, does it make most sense to stay in anchorage for the whole time if only going about two hours away on any given day? Or is there maybe a reason to stay over somewhere (that’s a two hour drive about) to get to somewhere else (without getting too from anchorage?

3) in terms of shabbos (which starts on Saturday) is there somewhere near the chabad? Seems points hotels are about a mile away, need a suite for baby and food (most strongly considering hyatt place) so is there somewhere that makes more sense to stay for shabbos?

4) are there planes that go to denali from anchorage? Or from max a couple hours out?

5) should I fly to fairbanks for a day trip? Worth the 45k avios?

6) recommended helicopter rides and boat company for glacier tours?

Thanks!!

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 15, 2023, 07:20:53 AM »
1) probably not necessary, but depends where you'll be going

2) probably best to stay in Anchorage, but depends what you want to do

3) the Chabad is about a mile from the rabbi's home.  The hotels are right near Chabad, but sometimes they daven Friday night by the rabbi's house.  I don't believe there are places to stay halfway, but maybe Airbnb.

4) yes, Talkeetna is 2 hours away

5) probably not, unless Fairbanks is really important to you

6) check alaska.org. Last I heard it was run by someone from the Jewish community
44/50, 46/63

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #585 on: June 15, 2023, 11:09:31 AM »
1) probably not necessary, but depends where you'll be going

2) probably best to stay in Anchorage, but depends what you want to do

3) the Chabad is about a mile from the rabbi's home.  The hotels are right near Chabad, but sometimes they daven Friday night by the rabbi's house.  I don't believe there are places to stay halfway, but maybe Airbnb.

4) yes, Talkeetna is 2 hours away

5) probably not, unless Fairbanks is really important to you

6) check alaska.org. Last I heard it was run by someone from the Jewish community

Thanks,
Regarding hotels and chabad, the ones with suites that have kitchens are not available and the ones that are close don’t have kitchens (basically a  proper place to prepare food.) so not sure, I’m guessing you’re saying that the Rabbi lives one mile away in the opposite direction of the hotel? I don’t think meals in either the chabad or at his house are an option if i have a baby cause of eruv?

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 15, 2023, 01:24:36 PM »
Thanks,
Regarding hotels and chabad, the ones with suites that have kitchens are not available and the ones that are close don’t have kitchens (basically a  proper place to prepare food.) so not sure, I’m guessing you’re saying that the Rabbi lives one mile away in the opposite direction of the hotel? I don’t think meals in either the chabad or at his house are an option if i have a baby cause of eruv?
IIRC, there are a couple hotels (including at least one points hotel) right near the Chabad shul, where they eat the Shabbos day meal.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 15, 2023, 01:32:35 PM »
Is there a contact for the chabad? (Don’t have google accessible)

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 25, 2023, 10:15:24 PM »
1) Anywhere you can go to see bears besides for lake clark and katmai (is that what its called) seems pretty far out of budget (unless there are options on points from chase?)

2) any particular helicopter rides or plane rides recommended? Looking to use chase points to cover costs and not looking for extremely expensive options. Has anyone done the planes and helicopters from chase travel things to do? Considering denali plane from talkeetna and maybe helicopter rde

3)anyone done the glacier tours cruise or the portage glacier cruise? Trying to figure out a good one. Also anyone done a cruise from seward? Looking for really scenic glaciers, whales, and calving.

4) any experience with wildlife reservations? I think there are a few, wondering if anyone has gone or has done a tour there and if its worth going.

thanks for all the feedback so far has been very helpful

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 06, 2023, 11:29:02 PM »
Anyone done both 26 glacier cruise and kenai fjords and have a recommendation one over the other?

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #590 on: July 06, 2023, 11:40:02 PM »
Anyone done both 26 glacier cruise and kenai fjords and have a recommendation one over the other?

PWS:
Pros: crazy smooth water (relative to Seward) more convenient (unless you're going to Seward anyway), two extremely active and close tidewater glaciers, way more glaciers in general, waterfalls, and closer, more distinct landscape.
Cons: not a whole lot of wildlife, faster boat so extremely windy in the bow.

Seward (Kenai Fjord trips):
Pros: tons of wildlife, more varied landscape, slower boat so the bow is often comfortable, ticks off a National Park box.
Cons: Weather is typically quite horrible, and seasickness could pretty much be guaranteed. Only one tidewater glacier, and not quite as active as PWS.

If wildlife is a priority, don't even bother with PWS.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 07, 2023, 04:18:08 PM »
If wildlife is a priority, don't even bother with PWS.

Active meaning glaciers calving?

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #592 on: July 07, 2023, 04:19:27 PM »
Active meaning glaciers calving?

Yes
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 07, 2023, 04:23:19 PM »
Yes
Also what’s the difference between “more varied landscape” and more “distinct landscape”
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 05:31:19 PM by Gvann »

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 07, 2023, 04:25:03 PM »
I also wanted to know, do you think a 4 hour cruise Kenai is too short? Cause wife is worried with a 2 year old a 6 hour is too long. But wondering if 4 hours is enough?

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 09, 2023, 01:58:55 PM »
Also wondering if anyone has been to janeau? Have good availability on avios for a day trip, worth going for one day? Whats to do there?

Offline teaneckyo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 11, 2023, 06:49:38 PM »
Hi - Last minute considering a cruise to Alaska - anyone know if there is fresh kosher food on any this August - without going through Kosherica or something similar?  Thanks

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 23, 2023, 08:44:12 PM »
Anyone have a good one week itinerary?

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 07, 2023, 06:58:29 PM »
Anyone have a good one week itinerary?

I want to get around to writing a trip report from this past august. One week and was amazing.

In short, one day whittier and 26 glacier cruise
One day seward and kenai cruise (length varies depending on your interests) we saw a whale on the shortest one so timing doesnt necessarily mean less wildlife, its all luck anyway. Once there you can do exit glacier small and really nice hike.
One day portage glacier (you could do that on the way to whittier but very tight because the 26 glacier cruise is long) there is like a 45 minute boat ride and hike where you can apparently touch it. Many places to stop along that road where you can see amazing water, wildlife if you’re lucky and depending on the time of year salmon
One day go to talkeetna and take a plane ride of denali.. life changing

Musk ox farm is fun but its only like an hour, you dont get to touch them, and not sure what winter schedule is

If there shabbos, stay in residence inn midtown. Perfect because its an apartment style room and its a 1 minute walk to chabad. If you have walking kids its great because there is no eruv.

There was one store that had bartenura but dont remember what its called but its across the street from the carrs supermarket
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 07:02:00 PM by Gvann »

Offline TravelMoshe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 23, 2024, 11:06:44 PM »
Chabad Rabbi is Rabbi Greenberg. His son in law, Rabbi Glitsenstein is also quite helpful. The main number there is (907) 279-1200.
Btw, Chabad has RV hookups available right in their courtyard.

One more unrelated note:
Please note for anyone using the Alaska Air $99 Companion Fare for their flight reservations. Although the website says that typical taxes & fees are "from $23", that is almost never the case. Minimally it will be closer to $50 and if flying to Alaska it will be closer to $75!