Topic Wiki

Most banks, including Chase and AMEX, pull from Experian in NY and NJ when you apply for a card. If they see too many pulls, they are more likely to decline your application. The goal is to have the bank look at a different credit report that doesn’t have as many pulls. This is basically done by putting a security block, or “freeze” your Experian (or other hard hit reports) account. That way, banks are blocked from seeing it.

That can be done here:
Equifax
Experian
TransUnion

Obviously, you will not get instant approval and will have to call recon and ask them nicely to pull from a different bureau. Some banks will decline to do so and will require you to give them the pin# you set up when you froze the credit report so they can pull it. When you do call up, make sure you have a good reason for having your report frozen. Tell them there is some incorrect info on your experian credit report and that you don't want to unfreeze it until it gets corrected. DO NOT say that there was a fraud alert so you froze it!!!! This will cause them to freeze your application.

CHASE:
Personal- many have reported success in freezing experian and having apps approved. There are recent reports of this not working anymore and customer service requiring the pin to unlock your report so this may require lots of HUCA. One DDFer reports 15 HUCAs (3/19/14) and no luck. It may be dead  :(
If you plan on doing a chase 2BM, you might want to call and get both approved in the same call as to avoid multiple pulls. Alternatively, you can just unfreeze it before a 2/3BM.
AsherO reports that he had them pull equifax and they pulled transunion 2 days later as well. The best way to avoid a double-pull, is to freeze both Experian + another bureau and have them pull the third.

Business- There is limited reported success getting chase business reps to pull anything other than experian. Only one DDFer reports success and even he admits it was a real pain and lot and lots of HUCA-ing.

AMEX:
Unfortunately, it doesn’t work at all for AMEX. They will require your pin so they can pull Experian.

CITI:
In NY, Citi pulls from either Equifax or Experian or both. So by freezing experian, you can get them to pull just equifax thus preventing the dreaded double pull. (Many Ddfers have reported that Citi will no longer pull from another report once the original pull has been made).

A few side notes:
Freezing your report will automatically opt you out from pre-approved offers. Churners like those so you might want to opt back in.
If you have accounts with a bank they can still do a soft pull on your frozen credit report.
If you open a new account, it will get reported to the frozen credit report. The report just won’t show a hard pull.       

« Last edited by Yehuda25 on March 25, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »

Author Topic: Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score  (Read 155582 times)

Offline SGF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
Re: Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score
« Reply #240 on: September 02, 2012, 02:27:39 PM »
So when you apped, did you get pending on all of the apps and had to call Chase and tell them to pull TU?
yup
they sent me a letter that my experian is frozen and i should call back with the pin, when i called i simply asked them to pull from TU

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 20, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »
IME, only works on personal cards now. On Ink Bold app, they didn't budge and said Experian only

Offline compddd

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 20, 2012, 05:11:30 PM »
Is it possible to make a 3BM work when you freeze your EX and have to call them to pull TU? Sounds like it would end up as 3 pulls

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #243 on: September 20, 2012, 05:11:39 PM »
IME, only works on personal cards now. On Ink Bold app, they didn't budge and said Experian only

Maybe you just got a bad rep? What makes you think there is a business v personal distinction?

Is it possible to make a 3BM work when you freeze your EX and have to call them to pull TU? Sounds like it would end up as 3 pulls

Yes with respect to 2BM.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 20, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »
So 2BM works when freezing but not 3BM?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #245 on: September 20, 2012, 05:18:10 PM »
Should have been clear. I know it works with 2BM, never tried 3.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 20, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
I'm going to freeze EX and try it with Chase, Citi, and BofA. I know it works with Chase and I know Citi will probably refuse, not sure on BofA though.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 20, 2012, 06:43:58 PM »
Should have been clear. I know it worked for me with 2BM, never tried 3.

FTFY. Freezing +2/3bm is YMMV, IME and as posted by others here.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 20, 2012, 06:46:24 PM »
See signature.

Also, everyone knows 2/3BM is YMMV, especially so when freezing, so it shoulda been clear that when I say it works, I mean it's possible.

If not, see AsherO's comment above and my signature.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 20, 2012, 06:49:05 PM »
See signature.

Also, everyone knows 2/3BM is YMMV, especially so when freezing, so it shoulda been clear that when I say it works, I mean it's possible.

If not, see AsherO's comment above and my signature.

That's more like it. Despite your sig's disclaimer, your response to compddd's second question made it seem like you were saying yes, it works for 2bm.

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 21, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »
Maybe you just got a bad rep? What makes you think there is a business v personal distinction?

I called 2 reps for biz accounts. I didn't try more. When I did personal, they said no problem for my wife or myself.

Offline vicky

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 16, 2012, 11:46:26 PM »
Hello,
a1.After freezing EQ, should we apply for Chase, Amex, Citi  same time?
a2.then ask Chase to pull from TU and give the pin to amex/citi
a3. will amex/citi result in two pulls?
a4.will amex/citi see the pull from chase in TU at this time?
OR
b1.freeze EQ and apply chase first, get it approved by telling them to pull TU
b2. then unfreeze EQ same day and apply for amex/citi. before i do this, should i freeze TU?

c1. if they pull from one CR, they won't check the report from other CR(even past pull)?

Please advise.

Thanks

You give them the pin.

You can, yes.

You can, yes.

Offline creditor

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 11, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »
::confused::
when freezing EX, will Chase automatically pull TU/EQ or I will have to wait until I talk to recon, for that ?
I would appreciate clear feedback on that one.
I'm just say'in©®

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 11, 2012, 06:07:51 PM »
::confused::
when freezing EX, will Chase automatically pull TU/EQ or I will have to wait until I talk to recon, for that ?
I would appreciate clear feedback on that one.

Chase will pull whatever they usually pull for you. If that's one of the reports you've frozen, you'll have to recon. if not, not.

Offline creditor

• View Profile
Re: Re: Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score
« Reply #254 on: November 11, 2012, 06:12:06 PM »
Chase will pull whatever they usually pull for you. If that's one of the reports you've frozen, you'll have to recon. if not, not.
hence my question. having to recon, means a manual pull by recon or they might  just autopull another beauro upon application?
I'm just say'in©®

Offline AJK

• View Profile
Re: Re: Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score
« Reply #255 on: November 11, 2012, 06:16:05 PM »
hence my question. having to recon, means a manual pull by recon or they might  just autopull another beauro upon application?

Hence your question?

You're question was "when freezing EX, will Chase automatically pull TU/EQ or I will have to wait until I talk to recon, for that ?"

The answer is you'll have to recon for them to pull it.

Now let's address your second question:

Freeze two reports and tell them to pull whichever you've left open.

Offline creditor

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score
« Reply #256 on: November 11, 2012, 06:26:35 PM »
Hence your question?

You're question was "when freezing EX, will Chase automatically pull TU/EQ or I will have to wait until I talk to recon, for that ?"

The answer is you'll have to recon for them to pull it.

Now let's address your second question:

Freeze two reports and tell them to pull whichever you've left open.
now you're more clear. you originally answers you'll have to recon which can sound that I'll have to recon in order to get it approved but not necessarily answering my first AND SECOND questions.
anyway, I heard what you're sayin. now please let other ones share their experiences
thanks cheaf
I'm just say'in©®

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 04, 2012, 09:53:20 PM »
I called 2 reps for biz accounts. I didn't try more. When I did personal, they said no problem for my wife or myself.

Just had the same experience. Chase business department would not budge. They rep said they were able to do it until very recently, but the credit bureaus cracked down on it. They no longer offer this option.

I was able, however, to do it on a consumer card today.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 10, 2012, 09:36:39 PM »
Can anyone confirm if freezing officially no longer works for Chase Business cards?

I called 3 times, and all 3 reps told me that they just recently implemented a new rule, that if your report is frozen, they may ONLY pull from the frozen report (i.e. the report they initially attempted to pull from), so you either need to unfreeze your report, or you need to provide them with the pin in order to process the application.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 11, 2012, 02:45:43 AM »
Can anyone confirm if freezing officially no longer works for Chase Business cards?

I called 3 times, and all 3 reps told me that they just recently implemented a new rule, that if your report is frozen, they may ONLY pull from the frozen report (i.e. the report they initially attempted to pull from), so you either need to unfreeze your report, or you need to provide them with the pin in order to process the application.

This is unfortunate news if it's true :(