Topic Wiki

BRG is a way of getting compensation for finding a cheaper rate then the one offered by the hotel website.  Compensation varies greatly by the hotel brand policy. It can be in the one following: first night free, gift cards, matched rate with an additional percent discount as well as bonus points.

Hotel brand/ site compensation policy
Please note: most will match the rate plus give compensation.
Choice hotel : $50 VISA gift card plus rate matched (US residents) OR first night free plus rate matched (non-US residents). It goes by the address you write on the reservation so if you Write down an Israel (or anywhere non U.S) address, you're good
Ihg: rate matched plus 5x points for the reservation
Best Western: rate matched plus 100$ BW travel card
Marriott: 25% off matched rate or 5,000 Marriott points
Hyatt: 20% off matched rate or 5,000 Hyatt points
Hilton: 25% off matched rate
Wyndham: rate matched plus 3,000 Wyndham points

How to find a brg claim
Search for the hotel and dates of your choice and then the fun begins.
Hotel price comparison web sites are great way of finding BRGs. Some of the following work very well:

TripAdvisor.com
Hotelscombined.com
Trivago.com
Wego.com

If you want some tutorial articles about how BRGs work, how to find them, how to match them, and all the details, go to http://brgdeals.blogspot.com/ and read the articles.

The site run by a guy named David, and he also finds BRGs and posts them there. So If you don't want to start making one yourself, just go to his site, search for the city you need and see if there are any current BRGs available. You can also be spontaneous and look at his most recent finds (he posts new ones almost daily), although you may have not planned a trip, but if you can get it free (or discounted) hey why not.

How to claim a brg
You do need to book the hotel first and then file a BRG claim.  Just search the hotels/ third party site for a best rate gaurantee policy and you should be able to find a link to a brg claim form. Be aware that room and conditions need to be a perfect match.
As they often find ways to wiggle out of this policy it's not advised to book a non refundable room unless you would have stayed there regardless.

Redeeming brgs
No  diff as to the form of compensation ( discount or free night) redeeming Is all the same. Your reservation will look like a standard reservation except it will be either discounted or show a 00.00 balance. Most hotel receptionists aren't familiar with brgs and automatically assume that it's a points stay.

Why I love choice brgs
Choice hotels include brands like quality inn, comfort inn, rodeway and of course the ascend collection. They are fairly easy when it comes to approving claims as long as you stick to the following:
- 1 claim per household per 30 days
- price match before taxes (ymmv on this one)
- your claim is submitted / approved 72 hours before your scheduled stay
However even within those policy's there are plenty of loop
Holes.

When Posting a brg please use the following Example format:

BRG claim for: Choice Hotels
Hotel Name: comfort suites
Hotel Add: 320 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL, US, 60601
Room Type: Queen Suite
Room Rate:197
Better rate found: Hotelscombined.com
Better Rate: 127
« Last edited by a mirrer on August 05, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »

Author Topic: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee  (Read 437787 times)

Offline bobby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee
« Reply #960 on: March 27, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »
Its pretty simple actually.  Especially if you follow dates, rates, room descriptions already proven to work for others.

That's ridiculous. IHG rejects whatever they want to. They'll say lower price doesn't include taxes when it does. They'll say it's not valid because IHG is now showing a lower price. And more to the point, the proof that you're wrong is that they'll often reject the same exact claim for one person and honor it for another.

Offline blue eyes

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 27, 2014, 04:42:34 PM »
That's ridiculous. IHG rejects whatever they want to. They'll say lower price doesn't include taxes when it does. They'll say it's not valid because IHG is now showing a lower price. And more to the point, the proof that you're wrong is that they'll often reject the same exact claim for one person and honor it for another.

As with everything ymmv however, if u follow exact dates room type description rates and ur cc on file is valid it should go through ( considering of course that the room is still avail )
I've never had prob with a tried and proven deal. Finding My own deals, that's another story though :)

Offline bobby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 27, 2014, 07:23:06 PM »
As with everything ymmv however, if u follow exact dates room type description rates and ur cc on file is valid it should go through ( considering of course that the room is still avail )
I've never had prob with a tried and proven deal. Finding My own deals, that's another story though :)

Are you talking about IHG or Choice? Bec. with IHG, I would say that the vast majority of my requests have been rejected for iligitemate reasons. Of course, I keep trying, and eventually they cave, but I find it hard to believe that anyone has a high success rate post the good-old-phone-call days.

Offline blue eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #963 on: March 27, 2014, 07:27:45 PM »
Are you talking about IHG or Choice? Bec. with IHG, I would say that the vast majority of my requests have been rejected for iligitemate reasons. Of course, I keep trying, and eventually they cave, but I find it hard to believe that anyone has a high success rate post the good-old-phone-call days.

Never got rejected with choice
But I was referring to ihg. Illegitimate reasons for u may be a deal breaker for them follow the guidelines carefully and u should have less issues
Stayed with ihg a couple times

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: March 27, 2014, 07:28:37 PM »
. with IHG, I would say that the vast majority of  requests have been rejected for iligitemate reasons
couldnt  agree more

Offline smaxber

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: March 27, 2014, 07:30:33 PM »
you book refundable? or nonrefundable?

Offline blue eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: March 27, 2014, 07:32:09 PM »
you book refundable? or nonrefundable?

Both
According to the method specified in the wiki to ensure I don't stay stuck

Offline smaxber

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: March 27, 2014, 07:35:42 PM »
Both
According to the method specified in the wiki to ensure I don't stay stuck
so majority which are you choosing?
ever find an inconsistency where refundable is cheaper but non refundable is more or the same as main site?

Offline blue eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 27, 2014, 07:42:47 PM »
so majority which are you choosing?
ever find an inconsistency where refundable is cheaper but non refundable is more or the same as main site?

It depends
Ihg has a policy that the cc on file needs to be valid when they approve claim especially for non refundable ... So I like to use gc. Choice I use a legit cc that's already closed. Same goes for marriot SPg etc

Offline smaxber

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 27, 2014, 07:43:47 PM »
It depends
Ihg has a policy that the cc on file needs to be valid when they approve claim especially for non refundable ... So I like to use gc. Choice I use a legit cc that's already closed. Same goes for marriot SPg etc

when do they charge you?

Offline blue eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 27, 2014, 08:11:26 PM »

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 27, 2014, 08:18:39 PM »
I used a Citi VAN for my IHG attempts. Now, they rejected it for other reasons, so I don't know if my payment method would have been a reason for concern, but while it was pending, the hotel itself actually called me to ask for a new payment method.

I also used a $1 Citi VAN on both my successful Choice attempts. No one asked any questions before the BRG was approved and now that the NYC one has a $3.50 fee and my card obviously can't take that charge, I wonder what will happen. Worst case, I give them a cc at the hotel.

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: March 27, 2014, 09:30:14 PM »
Crowne Plaza Athens works for all the dates ive checked so far over the next year.

I used Booking.com but I think Pricline also works.

The cancellation policy is a day off but I just got 2 reservations approved without a hitch and with IHG thats saying something :)

Offline shmebeble

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 27, 2014, 09:42:18 PM »
Crowne Plaza Athens works for all the dates ive checked so far over the next year.

I used Booking.com but I think Pricline also works.

The cancellation policy is a day off but I just got 2 reservations approved without a hitch and with IHG thats saying something :)
Where did you catch that deal?

Offline emak

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 28, 2014, 02:16:34 AM »
Am I the only one that gets nervous from all these BRG's? If you're going somewhere or whatever, Kol Hakavod. But please don't stam book BRG's and bring unwanted attention to people (ab)using their policy.

Offline bobby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: March 28, 2014, 09:15:41 AM »
Am I the only one that gets nervous from all these BRG's?

Think so. The BRGs a great program that will most certainly not last forever. Take advantage while you can.

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: March 29, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
Where did you catch that deal?
I searched and found it.
Am I the only one that gets nervous from all these BRG's? If you're going somewhere or whatever, Kol Hakavod. But please don't stam book BRG's and bring unwanted attention to people (ab)using their policy.
+1 I cant agree more.
Think so. The BRGs a great program that will most certainly not last forever. Take advantage while you can.
Emak's valid point was refering to people that book BRG's with no intent to use them.

Offline bobby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: March 29, 2014, 10:16:02 PM »
Emak's valid point was refering to people that book BRG's with no intent to use them.

If that's the case then I agree. Who books hotels and then doesn't sue them? Obviously, things come up, but I can't imagine people are spending the time to book hotels and most times don't use them.But the way I understood it was he was saying if you're planning a vacation and happen to get a free night somewhere, then that's okay, but if you just randomly pick up and go to hotels whenever you find a free one, there's something wrong with that. And that point I couldn't disagree with more.

Offline emak

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 29, 2014, 11:48:59 PM »
No, I'm fine with that too. I'm just saying that it sounds like some people do it if they hear about any opportunity, regardless of weather they're going to use it or not. Meaning, if something gets posted on DDMS as a free sample or something, I take it, no questions asked. But with BRG's I'm just saying that please only submit one if you are going to use it. That's it.

Offline blue eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: March 30, 2014, 12:12:13 AM »
No, I'm fine with that too. I'm just saying that it sounds like some people do it if they hear about any opportunity, regardless of weather they're going to use it or not. Meaning, if something gets posted on DDMS as a free sample or something, I take it, no questions asked. But with BRG's I'm just saying that please only submit one if you are going to use it. That's it.

As mentioned earlier with a brg I doubt anyone books with out the intentions to use the stay. Unless they are seriously bored. Cuz even a simple booking takes a minimum of 10 minutes so why waste that time for nothing.
I don't see anything wrong with booking brgs and planning getaways accordingly. The policy is there for a reason. Personally, if I know I can't make a brg I cancel it which in that case the hotel doesn't loose out on the room.