Topic Wiki

Kauai Overview/DansMeals:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/39185

Trip Reports:
Dan 2014
Dan 2009, Auntiemus, Benarroc, Westman812, Hudi, Yellow, Lechaim2life, DanFan2010, Jmansour, Something Fishy, Rivky, chuchem, dealvr, Amusch,
Tzadik Nistar, an613, @Yehuda, @Ygygold, Wizmanison 2017, CGR

Dan's concierge packet.

Related DDF Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread

Before you go:

How long should I go for?
You could spend 10 years on Kauai and not get your fill. That being said, the bare minimum to enjoy your stay is 4 days on the ground. A week is ideal.

It's possible to do a short trip by leaving early Sunday morning, getting there in the afternoon, and then leaving Thursday night and being back home for shabbos.

Do I need a guide book?
Very definitely. Sure you could find most info online, but nothing compares to a good, written-by-a-local, guide book. Kauai Revealed is by far the best option, and will possibly be the best $16 you spent on your trip.

What about Shabbos?
Some authorities hold that there's a dateline issue with Shabbos.
The local communities keep shabbos on Saturday.
Definitely ask your LOR before you go - some hold simply that Shabbos is on Saturday, some hold that you have to keep Shabbos on both Friday and Saturday, and some hold that you have to keep D'oreisas on Friday and full Shabbos on Saturday.

If you must keep 2 days, remember that there are many questions that could come up (such as when to light Shabbos candles, how to warm up food, etc.), so make sure to discuss it all with your LOR.

There have been books written about the Chabad opinion of keeping shabbos only on Saturday. Rabbi Aharon Dovid Gancz gives an absolutely fascinating pilpul on the topic, if you get a chance to attend one please record it (with permission) and upload the video online.

Getting there and getting around:

Air:
The main airport is in Lihue, and is designated LIH.
You could fly directly from the mainland to LIH from
DEN (UA)
LAX (AA, DL, HA, UA)
OAK (AS, HA)
SAN (AS)
SEA (AS)
SFO (UA)
SJC (AS)
PDX (AS)
PHX (US)
YVR (WestJet)

There are no direct flights from the East coast, so you will stop in one of these cities.
Alternately, you could fly directly to Honolulu (HNL) and continue to LIH from there.

Hawaiian, Go, and Island Air fly interisland to LIH from HNL and OGG. There are no direct flights between LIH and the Big Island (ITO/KOA).

You can also use 5K AA or, 6k UA, or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.

Car:
A car is necessary on Kauai. All major companies have branches, mostly at the airport. There are also some local companies.

National has Executive Aisle/Selection at the airport, but Hertz doesn't have Gold Choice. Avis also has a desk at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. Check out www.discounthawaiicarrental.com - they book from the major brands, and are worth a try.

There's nothing like a convertible on Kauai, but a 4WD is better (sometimes even necessary) for certain places such as Polihale Beach or Milolii Ridge Road. Taking a convertible for most of your stay and a 4WD for a day or two is a good idea.

Where to stay:

There are 3 major areas where to stay. The South side is drier so good weather is more or less guaranteed. The North side is far prettier, with sheer cliffs and a backdrop of lovely green mountains. However, the weather in winter could be rainy and it can be buggy as well.
The rain typically doesn't last long, and is usually accompanied by numerous rainbows, so it's usually not too bad. However, it's something you should take into account. The East side has the cities of Lihue and Kapa'a, alone with countless hotels and resorts. This area isn't as beautiful and the North or South side.

When choosing an area also consider how far it is to your chosen activities, not just the weather, For example, it takes about an hour from the Grand Hyatt to Waimea Canyon, but over two hours from the St. Regis.  On the other hand the St. Regis is much closer to north shore activities.

Here are some places that are discussed in this thread:

NameAreaMore InfoComments
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Grand Hyatt KauaiSouth sideWebsiteGenerally considered to be the top hotel on Kauai, and countless DDF'ers have stayed there. The weather is perfect year-round, it's right by Poipu beach, and you drive through an awesome tree tunnel to get there. There are countless pools and exotic birds all around.
St. Regis PrincevilleNorth sideWebsiteAnother beautiful hotel, this is an SPG category 7. The setting of the SRP is absolutely breathtaking, with the ocean crashing on the cliffs below and the waterfall-filled mountains in the background. The views from the rooms are unparalleled, but most rooms have no balconies.
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas North sideWebsiteSPG category 6.
Sheraton Kauai Resort South sideWebsiteSPG category 5.
"Get your own place"AnywhereWebsiteThere are countless condos, timeshares, or villas available to rent on the island. The advantages are that you get more for your money - a couple of bedrooms, living/dining rooms, and a full kitchen. There will usually be a pool, sometimes even a private one. Additionally, they're often cheaper than a hotel. There are many places to find them -
 HomeAway Kauai
VRBO Kauai
Airbnb Kauai, etc.

What to do:

Beaches:
There are countless beaches on Kauai, and all are public. Most offer amazing snorkeling. The East and South side beaches are safe for swimming / snorkeling year round, while some North and West beaches could be deadly in winter. Here are some popular ones, in no particular order:

NameAreaComments
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
PoipuSouth sideThis beach is right by the GHK. Full amenities (lifeguard, showers, etc.). Snorkeling is amazing here, especially in the morning. Sea turtles and the critically endangered Hawaiian monk seal are commonly seen here. Gorgeous sunsets.
Ke'eNorth sideThis beach is the gateway to the famous Kalalau Trail. The view from here is amazing, looking out over the majestic Na Pali cliffs. Great snorkeling, with a large fringing reef. This beach could be deadly winter, when 20-foot waves crash onto shore. However, at times it's perfectly calm. Use common sense. The beach is part of Hāʻena State Park
TunnelsNorth sideBeautiful crescent beach, with a lovely view of "Puff the Magic Dragon" mountain. Great snorkeling, and beautiful sunrises. May be dangerous in winter.
LumahaiNorth sideVery pretty beach, where they filmed South Pacific. Extremely dangerous winter.
PolihaleWest side17 solid miles of uninterrupted sand. Fairly remote, and accessible only via dirt and sand road, so 4WD is preferred. Unswimmable most of the year, but the area called Queens Pond is safe all year round. Since it's so huge, you could easily find a secluded spot. Great view of the south side of Na Pali, with amazing sunsets.
Queen's BathNorth sideThis is a rocky beach by the cliffs under Princeville. Very cool during the summer, when you could swim in a rock pool with the fish, but absolutely deadly during the winter (people die there all the time).
KalalauNorth sideOne of the most beautiful beaches in the entire world. Unfortunately, it's only accessible via one of the most difficult and most dangerous hikes in the world, the Kalalau Trail.
HonopūNorth sideAnother one of the top ten beaches in the world. The only way to get there is by swimming - from Kalalau beach :o!
Hanalei BayNorth sideA beautiful crescent beach with wonderful views. Mediocre snorkeling, but safe even in the winter. Very predictable waves, so this is the top spot for learning to surf or paddle. Breathtaking sunrises and sunsets.
SecretNorth sideRelatively secluded beach, and needs a bit of a hike to get there.
LydgateEast sideA fully protected beach, with pretty good snorkeling. Great for little kids, but is usually very busy.
NawiliwiliEast sideBoring beach, but the park of the the side is a nice place to stop for lunch and watch the kitesurfers.
Kapa'aEast sideAnother relatively boring beach, but a nice place to have lunch if you're in Kapa'a.

Hiking:
There are a tremendous amount of great hikes on Kauai. Check the Kauai Revealed book for detailed info on all of them, with maps, difficulty ratings, etc. These are just a few which are discussed in this thread:

NameAreaComments
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hike 1Area 1Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Hike 2Area 2Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Other activities:

ActivityComments
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Helicopter toursEasily the most expensive activity on Kauai, and easily the most amazing. You get to see otherwise inaccessible places - among others, you fly into Waimea Canyon, along the stunning Na Pali coast, and into the crater of the extinct Mount Waiʻaleʻale, now the wettest place on earth. It's an experience that could simply not be matched. Blue Hawaiian is the most popular and usually recommended. Jack Harter also flies amazing doors-off tours, which are wet, windy, and exhilirating :D.
Powered hang glidingThis is a unique flight lesson (counts a flying time for a pilot's license) in what's basically a motorized tricycle with wings. Supposed to be tremendous fun. Offered by Birds in Paradise.
Waimea CanyonLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Kalalau Valley overlookLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Hanalei Valley overlook
Kayaking
Biking
ATVing
Horseback riding
Ziplining
Cruises
4 Wheel Driving

Shopping:
  • Costco in Lihue has some kosher food, as well as the cheapest gas on the island
  • Wal-Mart, also in Lihue, also has some kosher food

« Last edited by cgr on February 24, 2022, 09:16:59 PM »

Author Topic: Kauai, HI Master Thread  (Read 820673 times)

Offline MLM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
Kauai, HI Master Thread
« Reply #460 on: August 28, 2012, 09:47:06 AM »
And more...

Was this ground level? Looks like the one I got

Offline DanFan2010

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Kauai, HI Master Thread
« Reply #461 on: August 28, 2012, 12:41:29 PM »
Hey Dan,

Thanks so much for all your tips and all your credit cards!!!
My wife and I came back from Kauai last week and had the most amazing time. Although it was only 4 full days, it was totally worth it.
I know there are a bunch of trip reports out there, but it helped me to see all of them so I figured I'd give back, and I'll put prices bc i always wanted to know them before we got there.

We started off flying direct EWR-HNL First Class on United. I know it wasnt a lie-flat, but it was amazing. You can stretch out the whole way and not touch the seat in front of you. Hard to go back  to coach after. Right now im in middle of writing to United to ask for some points back because I called the week before to confirm Kosher meals and they said yes. When we got to the plane they said they dont serve kosher on domestic flights(a 10 hour flight-I remember getting meals on flights to Miami like 10 years ago!)The stewardesses were really nice and opened up all the $15 snack boxes for us which was nice, and thank G-d my wife brought some tradition soups so not too bad. But just a warning for all you out there...$0.

We then hopped on a Hawaiian Air flight from HNL-LIH using 5,000 united miles. Even though its an international airport it kinda feels like youre back in 1975....$0.

Got to Kauai and picked up our mid-size SUV(Nissan Rogue) for 4 days for $200. 

Wanted to spend some time on the North Shore, so used 24,000 Starpoints to book 2 nights at the Westin Princeville Suites. Beautiful resort with like 5 different pools all over so youre bound to get one that was empty. We were super jet-lagged so we woke up at like 6 every day which was amazing. Davened, ate some breakfast(got $10 at the store for declining room service), and sat out from like 8-10:30 both mornings. At that time the weather was amazing to just sit out and relax in the infinity pools which were totally empty.

After the pool we went down to the Lihue area to just walk around and then went to Wal-mart to pick up some $5 knock off Tabi's which were great. We then decided to go kayaking and went to the one all the way down the Wailua River so we wouldnt have to paddle for an hour. While we waited for the kayak to be ready we walked around the Kamokila Hawaiian Village. Village was fun and kayaking to fern grotto and secret falls was great. Nice hike and pretty waterfalls...$35 each of us.

The next day we hung out at pool and then went into Hanalei which is a chilled surf town. Rented snorkels and snorkeled at Tunnels Beach. Nice coral and fish, but swimming with the sea turtles is awesome..$5 each of us

Next we started the 11-mile Kalalua trail. Well we only did 1.5 miles but it was still fun. Beautiful views of the Northern coast only accesible by boat, heli or feet. Really pretty, but steep and rocky. $0

After that we drove down to Poipu to stay and the crazy and ridiculous Grand Hyatt for the next 2 nights. Thanks to Dan I opened up the Hyatt card as a Diamond member and got the Garden Suite. Its like the Disney version of a hotel where everything looks perfect and everyones always smiling. We told them it was our anniversary(ok maybe we used the word honeymoon) and they gave us a $100 poolside cabana rental which was nice.$0

Next day hung out in our cabana which comes with a cooler filled with iced bottled water for the morning. In the afternoon we took 6 seater airplane tour of Kauai by Wings Over Kauai. First of all they're awesome. So nice, easy to talk to, good people. I sat up in the copilot's seat-that was fun. We were up for about 70 min with a great tour guide who knew a lot about the island(he must have read Kauai Revealed :-). Was pricey but totally worth it. $125 each.

We went straight from there up the 17 mile long Waimea Canyon Drive. Road is a bit windy but the views up top are amazing. Dont stop at Kalalua lookout though. Keep on driving till there is no more road-the views from there are much better.$0

The next morning we sadly had to fly out. Had a 12:40pm flight to HNL, but the HNL-EWR flight wasnt leaving till 7pm. So we took a $2.50 bus ride over to Pearl harbor/USS Arizona memorial. Its about a 15 min bus ride but make sure to have exact change. The memorial was really nice. You can prob spend about 2-3 hours going through the whole site, theres a submarine there and few other things besides the Arizona.
Then we flew home, and are now planning for the next vaca. Thanks again

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 28, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »
Awesome report
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline westman812

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 28, 2012, 02:09:29 PM »
Awesome report
+1 Also like the fact that his first post was "contributing" to the forum. Way to give back!

Love how the agents make up things. I had a similar issue with meals to/from Kauai and only got $25 dollars e-cert per person, so good luck with that.

Offline yankel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 21, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »
I stayed here in the beginning of september. I stayed for a total of six nights. Did everything last minute and it all worked out amazingly. I booked a suite using Hyatt points mostly transferred from chase. In the end I only ended up paying: 99k for 3 nights in a suite 33k each. Then I combined a free night award from  Hyatt card, which by the way wasn't a free suite night just a regular free night, but they confirmed suite upgrade prior. Then one extra night in a suite which we tacked on mid-stay because we were having such a good time, which they forgot to deduct from my account! So essentially a freebie. And finally one adiitional regular night with points (no suites were available so we had to change rooms) for 22k.

Total: 121 k plus one regular night award=5 nights in a suite + 1 regular room.

Had them time of our life.
Thanks Dan.

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 04, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »
I'm going to kauai in a week for 5 days and I'm in costco and see snorkeling kits for $40. Should I pick up a pair for the wife and I?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #466 on: January 04, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »
I'm going to kauai in a week for 5 days and I'm in costco and see snorkeling kits for $40. Should I pick up a pair for the wife and I?
You can buy them from Costco or Walmart there.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 04, 2013, 12:23:47 PM »
You can buy them from Costco or Walmart there.
O cool but maybe once I'm getting them ill just get them now. My q is it worth it to buy or should I find some place to rent (which would probably have better equipment).

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 04, 2013, 12:36:35 PM »
O cool but maybe once I'm getting them ill just get them now. My q is it worth it to buy or should I find some place to rent (which would probably have better equipment).

I think it's worth it to have your own. That way you can go whenever you'd like, stop whenever you want and not have to worry too much about them.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline cherylnlajolla

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 04, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »
I think it depends on if you know you like to snorkel - we rented them in Kauai and were glad we did - we had no interest in doing it again!

Also, it is one less thing to shlep.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 04, 2013, 12:43:23 PM »
I think it depends on if you know you like to snorkel - we rented them in Kauai and were glad we did - we had no interest in doing it again!

Also, it is one less thing to shlep.
How much would it cost to rent for five days?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:47:26 PM by Mocha »

Offline cherylnlajolla

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 04, 2013, 01:06:10 PM »
I don't remember the prices - but you can call them

http://www.bossfrog.com/kauai-locations.php

ask which type they recommend for you and the price

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #472 on: January 04, 2013, 01:14:54 PM »
I rented snorkel equipment few me and my wife at Snorkel Bob's.  Final cost was $89 for the week. The great thing was that they let us rent on Kauai and return on the Big Island at no extra charge.

Not very cheap but worth it in my opinion - you get top of the line gear and an expert fitting.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline robi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 04, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »
I rented snorkel equipment few me and my wife at Snorkel Bob's.  Final cost was $89 for the week. The great thing was that they let us rent on Kauai and return on the Big Island at no extra charge.

Not very cheap but worth it in my opinion - you get top of the line gear and an expert fitting.
i did as well, for me the clincher was prescription goggles
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 04, 2013, 02:36:40 PM »
i did as well, for me the clincher was prescription goggles
how do you get your exact prescription?

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Kauai, HI Master Thread
« Reply #475 on: January 04, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
how do you get your exact prescription?

I know they have some that are each a diff number like reading glasses type.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 04, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »
I know they have some that are each a diff number like reading glasses type.
correct, they have -1 -1.5 -2 etc..
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline avi h

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 07, 2013, 01:23:21 AM »
Ok just finished reading the revealed for this island.just wanted to know of any experience with the following; ATV, kayaking, and zipline. Is it worth spending a day on any of those and if yes which place would you recommend.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 07, 2013, 04:42:25 AM »
we went on a atv tour and really enjoyed it. Was a nice day... Took our 6 and 5 year old kid, they had a blast as well

Offline jmansour

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 14, 2013, 02:04:59 PM »
Is it worth getting a 4WD for double the money? im thinking if I need it or not.
We want to explore around the island, we are there for almost a week and paying around $220 for a small car and the jeep is coming in at around $420.
Would appreciate some help if anyone has any advice.