Topic Wiki

Kauai Overview/DansMeals:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/39185

Trip Reports:
Dan 2014
Dan 2009, Auntiemus, Benarroc, Westman812, Hudi, Yellow, Lechaim2life, DanFan2010, Jmansour, Something Fishy, Rivky, chuchem, dealvr, Amusch,
Tzadik Nistar, an613, @Yehuda, @Ygygold, Wizmanison 2017, CGR

Dan's concierge packet.

Related DDF Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread

Before you go:

How long should I go for?
You could spend 10 years on Kauai and not get your fill. That being said, the bare minimum to enjoy your stay is 4 days on the ground. A week is ideal.

It's possible to do a short trip by leaving early Sunday morning, getting there in the afternoon, and then leaving Thursday night and being back home for shabbos.

Do I need a guide book?
Very definitely. Sure you could find most info online, but nothing compares to a good, written-by-a-local, guide book. Kauai Revealed is by far the best option, and will possibly be the best $16 you spent on your trip.

What about Shabbos?
Some authorities hold that there's a dateline issue with Shabbos.
The local communities keep shabbos on Saturday.
Definitely ask your LOR before you go - some hold simply that Shabbos is on Saturday, some hold that you have to keep Shabbos on both Friday and Saturday, and some hold that you have to keep D'oreisas on Friday and full Shabbos on Saturday.

If you must keep 2 days, remember that there are many questions that could come up (such as when to light Shabbos candles, how to warm up food, etc.), so make sure to discuss it all with your LOR.

There have been books written about the Chabad opinion of keeping shabbos only on Saturday. Rabbi Aharon Dovid Gancz gives an absolutely fascinating pilpul on the topic, if you get a chance to attend one please record it (with permission) and upload the video online.

Getting there and getting around:

Air:
The main airport is in Lihue, and is designated LIH.
You could fly directly from the mainland to LIH from
DEN (UA)
LAX (AA, DL, HA, UA)
OAK (AS, HA)
SAN (AS)
SEA (AS)
SFO (UA)
SJC (AS)
PDX (AS)
PHX (US)
YVR (WestJet)

There are no direct flights from the East coast, so you will stop in one of these cities.
Alternately, you could fly directly to Honolulu (HNL) and continue to LIH from there.

Hawaiian, Go, and Island Air fly interisland to LIH from HNL and OGG. There are no direct flights between LIH and the Big Island (ITO/KOA).

You can also use 5K AA or, 6k UA, or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.

Car:
A car is necessary on Kauai. All major companies have branches, mostly at the airport. There are also some local companies.

National has Executive Aisle/Selection at the airport, but Hertz doesn't have Gold Choice. Avis also has a desk at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. Check out www.discounthawaiicarrental.com - they book from the major brands, and are worth a try.

There's nothing like a convertible on Kauai, but a 4WD is better (sometimes even necessary) for certain places such as Polihale Beach or Milolii Ridge Road. Taking a convertible for most of your stay and a 4WD for a day or two is a good idea.

Where to stay:

There are 3 major areas where to stay. The South side is drier so good weather is more or less guaranteed. The North side is far prettier, with sheer cliffs and a backdrop of lovely green mountains. However, the weather in winter could be rainy and it can be buggy as well.
The rain typically doesn't last long, and is usually accompanied by numerous rainbows, so it's usually not too bad. However, it's something you should take into account. The East side has the cities of Lihue and Kapa'a, alone with countless hotels and resorts. This area isn't as beautiful and the North or South side.

When choosing an area also consider how far it is to your chosen activities, not just the weather, For example, it takes about an hour from the Grand Hyatt to Waimea Canyon, but over two hours from the St. Regis.  On the other hand the St. Regis is much closer to north shore activities.

Here are some places that are discussed in this thread:

NameAreaMore InfoComments
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Grand Hyatt KauaiSouth sideWebsiteGenerally considered to be the top hotel on Kauai, and countless DDF'ers have stayed there. The weather is perfect year-round, it's right by Poipu beach, and you drive through an awesome tree tunnel to get there. There are countless pools and exotic birds all around.
St. Regis PrincevilleNorth sideWebsiteAnother beautiful hotel, this is an SPG category 7. The setting of the SRP is absolutely breathtaking, with the ocean crashing on the cliffs below and the waterfall-filled mountains in the background. The views from the rooms are unparalleled, but most rooms have no balconies.
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas North sideWebsiteSPG category 6.
Sheraton Kauai Resort South sideWebsiteSPG category 5.
"Get your own place"AnywhereWebsiteThere are countless condos, timeshares, or villas available to rent on the island. The advantages are that you get more for your money - a couple of bedrooms, living/dining rooms, and a full kitchen. There will usually be a pool, sometimes even a private one. Additionally, they're often cheaper than a hotel. There are many places to find them -
 HomeAway Kauai
VRBO Kauai
Airbnb Kauai, etc.

What to do:

Beaches:
There are countless beaches on Kauai, and all are public. Most offer amazing snorkeling. The East and South side beaches are safe for swimming / snorkeling year round, while some North and West beaches could be deadly in winter. Here are some popular ones, in no particular order:

NameAreaComments
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
PoipuSouth sideThis beach is right by the GHK. Full amenities (lifeguard, showers, etc.). Snorkeling is amazing here, especially in the morning. Sea turtles and the critically endangered Hawaiian monk seal are commonly seen here. Gorgeous sunsets.
Ke'eNorth sideThis beach is the gateway to the famous Kalalau Trail. The view from here is amazing, looking out over the majestic Na Pali cliffs. Great snorkeling, with a large fringing reef. This beach could be deadly winter, when 20-foot waves crash onto shore. However, at times it's perfectly calm. Use common sense. The beach is part of Hāʻena State Park
TunnelsNorth sideBeautiful crescent beach, with a lovely view of "Puff the Magic Dragon" mountain. Great snorkeling, and beautiful sunrises. May be dangerous in winter.
LumahaiNorth sideVery pretty beach, where they filmed South Pacific. Extremely dangerous winter.
PolihaleWest side17 solid miles of uninterrupted sand. Fairly remote, and accessible only via dirt and sand road, so 4WD is preferred. Unswimmable most of the year, but the area called Queens Pond is safe all year round. Since it's so huge, you could easily find a secluded spot. Great view of the south side of Na Pali, with amazing sunsets.
Queen's BathNorth sideThis is a rocky beach by the cliffs under Princeville. Very cool during the summer, when you could swim in a rock pool with the fish, but absolutely deadly during the winter (people die there all the time).
KalalauNorth sideOne of the most beautiful beaches in the entire world. Unfortunately, it's only accessible via one of the most difficult and most dangerous hikes in the world, the Kalalau Trail.
HonopūNorth sideAnother one of the top ten beaches in the world. The only way to get there is by swimming - from Kalalau beach :o!
Hanalei BayNorth sideA beautiful crescent beach with wonderful views. Mediocre snorkeling, but safe even in the winter. Very predictable waves, so this is the top spot for learning to surf or paddle. Breathtaking sunrises and sunsets.
SecretNorth sideRelatively secluded beach, and needs a bit of a hike to get there.
LydgateEast sideA fully protected beach, with pretty good snorkeling. Great for little kids, but is usually very busy.
NawiliwiliEast sideBoring beach, but the park of the the side is a nice place to stop for lunch and watch the kitesurfers.
Kapa'aEast sideAnother relatively boring beach, but a nice place to have lunch if you're in Kapa'a.

Hiking:
There are a tremendous amount of great hikes on Kauai. Check the Kauai Revealed book for detailed info on all of them, with maps, difficulty ratings, etc. These are just a few which are discussed in this thread:

NameAreaComments
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hike 1Area 1Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Hike 2Area 2Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Other activities:

ActivityComments
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Helicopter toursEasily the most expensive activity on Kauai, and easily the most amazing. You get to see otherwise inaccessible places - among others, you fly into Waimea Canyon, along the stunning Na Pali coast, and into the crater of the extinct Mount Waiʻaleʻale, now the wettest place on earth. It's an experience that could simply not be matched. Blue Hawaiian is the most popular and usually recommended. Jack Harter also flies amazing doors-off tours, which are wet, windy, and exhilirating :D.
Powered hang glidingThis is a unique flight lesson (counts a flying time for a pilot's license) in what's basically a motorized tricycle with wings. Supposed to be tremendous fun. Offered by Birds in Paradise.
Waimea CanyonLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Kalalau Valley overlookLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Hanalei Valley overlook
Kayaking
Biking
ATVing
Horseback riding
Ziplining
Cruises
4 Wheel Driving

Shopping:
  • Costco in Lihue has some kosher food, as well as the cheapest gas on the island
  • Wal-Mart, also in Lihue, also has some kosher food

« Last edited by cgr on February 24, 2022, 09:16:59 PM »

Author Topic: Kauai, HI Master Thread  (Read 820749 times)

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Re: Kauai, HI Master Thread
« Reply #1040 on: July 28, 2014, 06:17:07 PM »
will the hyatt concierge book excursions for you if you are not a guest there?

Why not book it yourself :o?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline arid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 28, 2014, 06:19:06 PM »
Why not book it yourself :o?
i thought ppl were buying discounted hyatt cards and paying for excursions with it? could be i was misreading the posts

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1042 on: July 28, 2014, 06:25:13 PM »
i thought ppl were buying discounted hyatt cards and paying for excursions with it? could be i was misreading the posts

I think that hasn't worked for years now.

Someone CMIIW.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1043 on: July 28, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »
I think that hasn't worked for years now.

Someone CMIIW.

Should work, but Costco stopped selling them years ago.
Actually I finished up my Costco supply at the GHK earlier this year.

Either way, I'm sure you would need to be staying at the hotel.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 28, 2014, 06:38:08 PM »
I'm only up to page 15. Man this is loooooooooonnggg :-)

Offline Dr Moose

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 28, 2014, 08:34:11 PM »
I'm only up to page 15. Man this is loooooooooonnggg :-)
almost half way, not bad the wiki seems to be very informative as well
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Tzadik Nistar

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 28, 2014, 10:58:10 PM »
Kauai Trip Report

Since joining DDF I knew that there is one place that I need to get to and that is Hawaii.

As the Delta glitch came up I went ahead and booked tickets for 1 week in January  JFK to LIH with a stopover in LAX for $105 per passenger  (as it was a Y class ticket the mileage we got for flying was more worth then the ticket price)
As the PH wasn’t available for our dates we looked into staying in the north shore but were afraid about rain and bad weather, but after Something Fishy assured me that when he went it only rained once we decided to go with the St. Regis and he was right, just the night we arrived rained but all the other days where nice and sunny.

Regarding food we took from pomegranate and it worked out well.

We arrived in LIH Sunday night we rented a convertible from Avis and headed right away to Wal-Mart to stock up and to get a toaster for our pomegranate meals.

We arrived in the hotel the check in was nice and easy, we booked a suite with a promo for 2 nights and then we booked a regular room on points for 2 nights and they let us stay in the suite for the full stay, the butler came in to help us unpack and to take care of our meals and food that need to go into the freezer,  she was amazed how neatly and clearly everything was packed and labeled (thanks to pomegranate ) she asked us if there is any event going on because they have a couple of Jews coming this week and they all called in about freezing food (delta – ddf affect)

At night it wasn’t possible to see anything from the window but the second I got up I opened up the window and wow was it spectacular I think it’s just worth to stay at the St. Regis just for the view from the room.

View from the room

The week that we were there, there were huge waves up to 20 feet so it wasn’t possible to go into the water but the waves were spectacular especially from the north shore, we were able to see from our window surfers surfing in these monster waves.

Monday
We went to Hanalei Lookout it is a really nice lookout.

We drove down north till the end of the road, those small roads and one way bridges are just spectacular, we went to Ke’e Beach then we came back for early dinner and went out to see sunset at Makua Beach,  we were from the only people there and it was quiet and beautiful.  We started walking down towards tunnels beach and in middle of the way set up our tent that we brought along as per Fishy’s recommendation.   
It was really beautiful driving back to the hotel at night driving those small north shore roads and one way bridges  in a convertible when it was pitch dark.

One way bridge

Tuesday
We went to the light house usually its nothing special but as it’s on a bluff it was beautiful to go see the high waves smashing into the bluff.
Afterwards we rented out a kayak to go to the secret falls after we started out our hike we met some people and they told us that it’s not worth it as it’s very wet and  muddy so I decided not to take it as I wasn't really dressed for that but the kayak itself was nice.

Wednesday
We went on the helicopter tour and as everyone else mentioned that this is the must do, we did it in the morning and it was a clear day so we got to see everything, but as it wasn't so rainy the waterfalls weren't that big and strong.

Afterwards we headed to Po’ipu through the tree tunnel, and then to Po’ipu Beach it was full of people.

Tree Tunnel

On the way back to our hotel we stopped at Wailua falls it was beautiful and easy to get to its on the road(one of the beautiful things on Kauai is that most places are pretty empty with lots of parking and you could just drive slowly take in the fresh air without anyone honking in back of you)
Went back to the hotel picked up some fruit on the way.

Thursday
In the morning we checked out and as the plan for the day was to do Waimea canyon and we had a Friday early morning flight so we decided to stay on the east shore for the night so we booked the Sheraton for 12k points.

We went up the Waimea Canyon stopped at every lookout and spent 4-5 hours there, it was a bit foggy but still beautiful, the views that we got at the Pu’u o Kila lookout is something that can’t even be described just amazing, then we came back down visited the kekaha beach it’s a big beach and there was about 100 people surfing there.

We went back to check in to the Sheraton, we were upgraded to a ocean view room the rooms are nothing special but the property and the beach are nice at the St. Regis at night there was no lights at the pool and the beach, but at the Sheraton they did have lighting and tiki torches at the beach so it was nice to get a walk in the evening.
Sunset at the hotels beach was spectacular as the nicest sunset in the winter could only be seen from the south – west shore and this was our only night on this side, it was really a spectacular experience and we enjoyed just strolling around on the property.

At night the hotel had a hula show that was right behind our balcony so we got a show for free (was pretty boring to me)

Friday morning we got up early checked out went to the spouting horn was really beautiful in the morning as the sun was coming up.

Spouting horn

We took a flight to HNL for Shabbos (the 20 min flight to HNL cost us 2 ½ times what the flight from NYC, we got free luggage with DD corporate code)
In HNL we stayed in the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach, we contacted the hotel beforehand and they assured us that we will be able to use the emergency stairwells and there were no motion sensors or anything in the stairwells.  They were really nice about it and told all the security guards that they should lookout for us and help us.  They opened our room door on Shabbos without any ID or anything.

We went to Chabad for davening and the meals it was about a 15 min walk, at Chabad it was really nice there was about 30-40 people most of the people got tickets on the delta glitch.

Sunday we made plans to go jet skiing and submarine tour but our reservations got canceled because of the high waves, we headed to Hanauma Bay to snorkel but as soon as we got there it started to rain and it rained like that for the rest of the day so we ended up doing nothing.

Hanauma Bay

Sunday evening we went back to the airport the Hawaiian air agent was able to put thru our luggage on delta till NYC.  Our itinerary was HNL-LIH-LAX-NYC.

Thanks Dan and all the DDF'rs that made my Hawaii trip a reality.

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 29, 2014, 12:24:50 AM »
Should work, but Costco stopped selling them years ago.
Actually I finished up my Costco supply at the GHK earlier this year.

Either way, I'm sure you would need to be staying at the hotel.

Dan i still wanna hear your cheshbon as to why Sheraton is not a good buy for 9600 SPG. is it really not a nice place or is it that you just cant imagine being anywhere but GHK?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1048 on: July 29, 2014, 12:27:43 AM »
You don't shlep to paradise and stay a mile away from one of the greatest resorts in the USA in a boring Sheraton.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mochada

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 29, 2014, 12:29:29 AM »
You don't shlep to paradise and stay a mile away from one of the greatest resorts in the USA in a boring Sheraton.

I can attest to this fact. Worth every penny...esp bumping into DDFers ( 8)) in the lounge

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: July 29, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
arrrggh i am really on a budget but couldn't pass up the $92 BC tickets. My inter-island flights will cost be double that.
Plus reading 70 pages of you guys talk about how olam haba looks like the GHK, i'm looking at all options, as i am brainwashed that i must be there.
Can someone confirm: according to betterbidding.com the GHK is the only 4.5* hotel that Hotwire or Priceline work with. On Hotwire it's going for $240 and priceline hasn't accepted my $201 bid. I can try a little higher tomorrow. But I really cant spend much more. If i used UR points, the would cost around $375/night at 1.5cpp.
The only option i have is going only for a night or 2. is it worth it even if i would have to change rooms?

Offline sarasherman

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: August 03, 2014, 11:43:35 PM »
Dan,

My husband and I are scheduled to honeymoon in Kauai from August 19-25. Due to deciding to visit Kauai on the fly we weren't able to save up enough pts and we only had enough to book a standard room for 6 nights (cash&pts option not available for those nights). Any tips on how to get an upgraded room and upgraded benefits while we're there? Anything specific I can say when we check in? I applied and got approved for the Chase Hyatt cc today and asked them to rush the card- does this help us somehow? Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 04, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »
Dan,

My husband and I are scheduled to honeymoon in Kauai from August 19-25. Due to deciding to visit Kauai on the fly we weren't able to save up enough pts and we only had enough to book a standard room for 6 nights (cash&pts option not available for those nights). Any tips on how to get an upgraded room and upgraded benefits while we're there? Anything specific I can say when we check in? I applied and got approved for the Chase Hyatt cc today and asked them to rush the card- does this help us somehow? Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Is your room cancelable? If so maybe see if you can book with a diamond members suite upgrade on their account. See this thread http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=12209.1800

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 04, 2014, 12:00:47 PM »
Is your room cancelable? If so maybe see if you can book with a diamond members suite upgrade on their account. See this thread http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=12209.1800
She spoke to Dan. Where do you enter the conversation?...

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 04, 2014, 12:38:47 PM »
She spoke to Dan. Where do you enter the conversation?...

I was debating leaving it for dan, but I figured since she didn't start a new thread it was worth helping out ;)

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 04, 2014, 02:43:07 PM »
Ok so we will definitely be doing ONE big hike.
Do we do the first half of the Kalalau Trail or the Waimea Canyon loop hike?
Both are about 10-12 miles round trip. although both are once-in-a-lifetime hikes, we dont wanna come back from vacation achy and sore...
which is nicer and which is easier?

Offline sarasherman

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 04, 2014, 05:09:46 PM »
I was debating leaving it for dan, but I figured since she didn't start a new thread it was worth helping out ;)

I'm new to the forum so thanks for helping out! (Where was I supposed to start new thread?) Thanks for the tip on trying to get someone's diamond upgrade- posted in that forum, hope it works out!

Offline Zkpncs48

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 05, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »
Does anyone in Lakewood have the Kauai revealed book that I can borrow/rent? I decided to go last minute and I'm leaving Sunday 8/05 so it won't get delivered in time if I order it. Thanks

Offline mochada

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 05, 2014, 01:58:49 PM »
Does anyone in Lakewood have the Kauai revealed book that I can borrow/rent? I decided to go last minute and I'm leaving Sunday 8/05 so it won't get delivered in time if I order it. Thanks

Do you have a smartphone? Download the app

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 05, 2014, 02:05:45 PM »
Amazon can get it to you tomorrow or Thursday, don't have Prime?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0983888760/?tag=cl03f-20