Author Topic: Sprint 4G: WiMAX and LTE and ???  (Read 4923 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Sprint 4G: WiMAX and LTE and ???
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:55:55 AM »
Can someone explain what Sprint's doing:

AFAIK, they were the 4G first to market with WiMAX, and now apparently are switching to LTE? If they already had 4G, why switch to an entirely new tech?

I know it has something to do with Clearwire and CDMA and blah blah...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Sprint 4G: WiMAX and LTE and ???
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 01:00:54 AM »
Because they're clueless and always have been.  They could've had Wimax running nationwide 6 years ago, but they dilly-dallied and VZW beat them even though Sprint had a massive lead as VZW decided from the beginning to wait for LTE to mature.

LTE is much more advanced than WiMax and Sprint will have a hard time getting manufacturers to keep making new phones for them, so LTE it is.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:05:29 AM »
So Sprint backed the wrong horse?

From what I've read, the jury is still out on the "which is more advanced, wimax or LTE" question."

It seems if they hadn't procrastinated so long, they could have turned Wimax into a formidable competitor to LTE.

But this seems to carry the day:

Sprint will have a hard time getting manufacturers to keep making new phones for them, so LTE it is.

What tremendous waste of money.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:08:39 AM »
So Sprint backed the wrong horse?

From what I've read, the jury is still out on the "which is more advanced, wimax or LTE" question."
VZW 4G LTE speeds kill Sprint WiMax speeds, so yes they backed the wrong horse.
Par for the course for the clueless folk in Overland Park.  I'd love to hit Hesse over the head when I'm there next week.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
VZW 4G LTE speeds kill Sprint WiMax speeds, so yes they backed the wrong horse.

AFIAK, the theoretical max for Wimax and LTE is 128mbit/sec and 100mbit/sec, respectively.

So it doesn't win in that realm. Are you talking real-world speed?

Par for the course for the clueless folk in Overland Park.  I'd love to hit Hesse over the head when I'm there next week.

...and you don't even have Sprint! Why all the hate?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:17:53 AM »
Are you talking real-world speed?
Yes.

...and you don't even have Sprint! Why all the hate?
I did for 10 years...don't get me started.  I wrote a thesis on turning around that company some 5 years ago for my MBA program, too many words wasted on them.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 01:21:38 AM »
But now they have the iPhone! :P

...without 4G.

Offline elizmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 02:32:44 AM »
Clearwire which owns and operates Sprint's WiMax - is a separate company in which Sprint is a majority stakeholder, they pumped in a few billion into clear in hopes that it would be a wireless broadband alternative. Clear basically failed in this, wimax was a new protocol that was created its IEEE 802.16 and it has been very buggy, the reason they did not launch 6 years ago was because there were so many kinks, even now they have major packet loss and the signal gets affected by weather conditions. Clear is losing money every day and sprint is not going to invest anymore in them.

Sprint moving over to LTE is actually not costing them a dime - they are getting free use of an LTE service in exchange for the soon to be phased out nextel spectrum. See here. http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=8508.msg100725#msg100725

To sum up, I have used both clear and verizon and each had their ups and downs, none are perfect. Wimax is not going to die since it is a protocol that will be used for other uses, in theory there can be a wireless router for your house using WiMax to give you a far reaching signal...
It is all from Hashem and he will continue to give!

Online Shmelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 10:39:46 PM »
Sitting next to a friend of mine last night, we ran simultaneous speed tests on our phones: Him on his S2 using Sprint LTE, me on my Galaxy Nexus using Verizon LTE. His DESTROYED mine every time we ran the tests. Literally double the download and upload speeds. Don't I pay a premium for Verizon's superior coverage? I've sworn by Verizon for 9 years, never been so disappointed.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 12:16:29 AM »
Sitting next to a friend of mine last night, we ran simultaneous speed tests on our phones: Him on his S2 using Sprint LTE, me on my Galaxy Nexus using Verizon LTE. His DESTROYED mine every time we ran the tests. Literally double the download and upload speeds. Don't I pay a premium for Verizon's superior coverage? I've sworn by Verizon for 9 years, never been so disappointed.
location, location, location.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 12:27:03 AM »
location, location, location.

+1

Did you try multiple locations? Did you both have full bars?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Sprint 4G: WiMAX and LTE and ???
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 07:26:49 AM »

While its a good feeling to feel like you have the best, is your phone really not fast enough?

And I agree.. location is a huge factor.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline ceejay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »
I'm not sure where Sprint will be  getting LTE from. They made a deal with Lightsquared to rent spectrum but Lightsquared is having major issues with govt approval.  http://www.fiercegovernmentit.com/story/lightsquared-gps-interference-cannot-be-solved-say-federal-agencies/2012-01-16

Online Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 10:08:01 AM »
I'll try other locations, good call.

Did you both have full bars?

Yes.

While its a good feeling to feel like you have the best, is your phone really not fast enough?

It was fast enough. Until I saw my friend's speed. Now its the slowest phone I've ever used.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »
What speeds did you both get?

Online Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 10:56:15 AM »
I was getting between 10 and 12 up and 5-7 down, he was getting 20/10.

I just did the same comparison with a colleague on his Photon. I got 16/9, he got 9/4. Some order is restored in my world.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 10:59:49 AM »
Location³

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 12:05:53 PM »
Location³

+1

Either way, VZW's claim of being the best network is just marketing hype IMHO.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 12:11:41 PM »
Not according to these guys...
Either way their LTE footprint is definitely bigger than the other guys.

Online Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 12:18:43 PM »
Whoa US Cellular in Chicago. I once made fun of a Chicagoan for trying to be cheap. I had no idea they were so big.