Author Topic: Music Video Thread  (Read 93927 times)

Offline chamdena

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Music Video Thread
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »
Great. Now we are speaking logic! You are absolutely right. However, Rosh hashanah is about "kabel malchusi ve'achar kach kabel gezoroisay". Simply recommit. Simply reestablish that you accept Gds wanting to relate to you. The rest is done later on. Now, if you ask me: how does it feel: gd almighty has a crush on you! You the sinner! You the mortal! You the human! Oh boy.... Will I be skipping and jumping for joy.
You see everything else FOLLOWS this! THIS IS THE CONTEXT for everything.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »
Great. Now we are speaking logic! You are absolutely right. However, Rosh hashanah is about "kabel malchusi ve'achar kach kabel gezoroisay". Simply recommit. Simply reestablish that you accept Gds wanting to relate to you. The rest is done later on. Now, I'd you all me: how does it feel: gd almighty has a crush on you! You the sinner! You the mortal! You the human! Oh boy.... Will I be skipping and jumping for joy.
You see everything else FOLLOWS this! THIS IS THE CONTEXT for everything.
::) We were talking about Selichos and Teshuvah...

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 29, 2013, 12:58:35 PM »
Correct. But slichos is prep for RH. First comes the essence of it. Then comes the "aseres hayomin SHEBEIN R"H VEY"K".

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2013, 01:12:36 PM »
Correct. But slichos is prep for RH. First comes the essence of it. Then comes the "aseres hayomin SHEBEIN R"H VEY"K".

How come we don't mention kabalas ol malchus shomayim in slichos? It's called slichos for goodness sake! It's about tshuva, not about malchus. That's not to exclude aseres yimei tshuva. We continue saying slichos during that time as well.

Out of curiosity, how would you classify your school of thought? Who do you associate yourself with as a Jew?

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2013, 01:33:37 PM »
I don't understand: do you like my point of view and wish it was right but feel trapped since its not what you were taught or learned? Or do you dislike it altogether?

I ask because if its the latter - fine! I have no need for you to like it. If its the former I MAY be of some use to you...

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 29, 2013, 02:05:55 PM »
I don't understand: do you like my point of view and wish it was right but feel trapped since its not what you were taught or learned? Or do you dislike it altogether?

I ask because if its the latter - fine! I have no need for you to like it. If its the former I MAY be of some use to you...

I hate to break this to you, but you sound like you're recruiting people to a cult. I feel very comfortable in rejecting your view, as well as that of those who dance happily during slichos. I would love to change your mind on that as well, but it's pretty clear to me that you're beyond help.

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 29, 2013, 02:09:36 PM »
I appreciate your sincerity :-)
To tell the truth: you know, there are some people who rarely sin... they are like a beautiful white sheet. So, every rare sin of theirs makes this big ugly stain. Naturally, they try to wash out the stain. And, I dont know for sure, but I imagine its an intense process. Then theres the people like me who are full full full of sins. Our sheet is almost entirely black. The process it would take to make the sheet white again... Would give me a nervous break down just thinking about it. So, what we do, is look at our sheet just to see if we can still see even a tiny white spot. You know, just a little something in us that is still aligned with Gds wish for us. When e find it... All there is is joy, gladnedd, and delight. These are the people at Yehudah Greens slichos.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 02:23:43 PM by chamdena »

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #227 on: August 29, 2013, 02:44:28 PM »
To tell the truth: you know, there are some people who rarely sin... they are like a beautiful white sheet. So, every rare sin of theirs makes this big ugly stain. Naturally, they try to wash out the stain. And, I dont know for sure, but I imagine its an intense process. Then theres the people like me who are full full full of sins. Our sheet is almost entirely black. The process it would take to make the sheet white again... Would give me a nervous break down just thinking about it. So, what we do, is look at our sheet just to see if we can still see even a tiny white spot. You know, just a little something in us that is still aligned with Gds wish for us. When e find it... All there is is joy, gladnedd, and delight. These are the people at Yehudah Greens slichos.

Or alternatively, you can get serious about life (read; serious, NOT depressed), learn Chassidus and learn how to deal with your Aveiros, and how to do a real Teshuvah.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 29, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »

I definitely like the idea of focusing on the tiny white spot, but the purpose of that focus shouldn't be to make you happy. It should be to motivate you to get the rest of the sheet cleaned up. If all you do is celebrate the little white spot, you're not working toward bettering yourself. Elul is not the time to be self-congratulatory for the good things you've done, it's a time to do more good things and work on erasing the bad things.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 29, 2013, 02:57:17 PM »
when you find a tiny white spot you should try your hardest to make it just a drop bigger and not be happy that you found the spot and leave it at that
if your not moving forward then your going in reverse

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 30, 2013, 06:16:22 PM »
After reading all of your posts, the ideas you express and the way you have replied, i noticed that you either don't understand where sky and 1+1 are coming from, or you don't care to address them directly.

Before addressing the inherent flaws in your weltanschauung i would like to explain something to you.

It seems that those arguing with you (and myself) believe that a jew cannot decide what is the proper path to serving G-d based on our own feeling whims or even rock solid logic.
  We choose to accept the guidance of our mesorah and rebbeim because we are acutely aware of our lack of true understanding. There is no room to discuss risk taking in this ideology (in the same way you wouldn't advise anyone to take a risk that you couldn't afford the consequences of a mistake). Nor is it appropriate to resort to name calling like "close minded" etc. as this is a chosen belief that that is made consciously and intelligently.

If you agree with this premise than tell us your source.

If you don't and/or have no source then we view your points as baseless. Although it is still apropos nonetheless to ask why your ideas are INCORRECT.

In regard to your statements about Rosh HaShana, a few points:

1) you have effectively done away with the entire point of rosh hashana, R'H is about responsibility and the ramifications of our actions, hence the name Yom HaDin (not Yom Harachamim) and the term yomim NORAIM. While the time for Vidui is after R"H and R"H is certainly a joyous YOM TOV but to remove the trepidation is antithetical to it's essence (Gila V'Raada).

2) G-d has created us imperfect but he has placed no imperative for sin within us, we have made bad choices and we therefor are deserving of punishment. I understand that it is exciting to view R'H as a fantastically happy day with no inherent danger, but it is also exciting to pretend you are a pirate!
  People who lose their ability to cope with tremendous difficulties and mental pressures often build an alternative reality that is easier to swallow. Your outlook is rather reminiscent of that. You seem to feel that if your sheet is too black you cannot really do teshuva so instead of even trying, let's pretend that "G-d doesn't really care! All he really wants is your love!" 
  Perhaps I can help you here, Even the greatest sinner (who's sheet is much blacker than yours) can achieve COMPLETE teshuva on these days. He must however follow the directions we have been given by the Rambam, Rabeinu Yona and others, he cannot make up his own. G-d wants to grant us complete forgiveness, but according to many sources will only do so if and when we recognize the depth of the errors of our ways and that we accept the din upon ourselves on R'H (yaaros devash, michtam m'eliyahu, afikai yam and many many many more). Certainly we cannot do so without a modicom of trepidation and fear.

3)in addition we are not talking about R'H, we are talking about slichos, how can you look at ANY of the words of slichos and possibly conclude that it is not all about teshuvah and inculcating a true regret within your heart!?

4) And finally, Let us presume that the idea of malchiyus is to A)realize how great G-d is, then B)to recognize how miniscule and flawed you are, and then C) to be filled with incredible love and happiness that G-d wants a relationship with YOU (VeAvisa Tehilla Mekrushai Chomer). But after that can any thinking person deny the logical follow-up of D) incredible regret at completely ignoring and grievously unforgivably  sinning against your beloved the entire past year!? Certainly in the midst of your religious extasy you should be feeling terribly sad as well and deciding to never do that ever again!
 Unless of course.... you have decided that G-d doesn't care that you can continue to treat G-d however you please and He will continue to love you in the very same fashion with no consequences... then you are espousing the idea that G-d is a "vatran" and we know that "kol haomer Hakadosh Boruch Vatran, YeVatru Chayav" (perhaps not an absolutely precise quote) and certainly on the day that life is apportioned we shouldn't call G-d a vatran!

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 30, 2013, 06:33:40 PM »
After reading all of your posts, the ideas you express and the way you have replied, i noticed that you either don't understand where sky and 1+1 are coming from, or you don't care to address them directly.

Before addressing the inherent flaws in your weltanschauung i would like to explain something to you.

It seems that those arguing with you (and myself) believe that a jew cannot decide what is the proper path to serving G-d based on our own feeling whims or even rock solid logic.
  We choose to accept the guidance of our mesorah and rebbeim because we are acutely aware of our lack of true understanding. There is no room to discuss risk taking in this ideology (in the same way you wouldn't advise anyone to take a risk that you couldn't afford the consequences of a mistake). Nor is it appropriate to resort to name calling like "close minded" etc. as this is a chosen belief that that is made consciously and intelligently.

If you agree with this premise than tell us your source.

If you don't and/or have no source then we view your points as baseless. Although it is still apropos nonetheless to ask why your ideas are INCORRECT.

In regard to your statements about Rosh HaShana, a few points:

1) you have effectively done away with the entire point of rosh hashana, R'H is about responsibility and the ramifications of our actions, hence the name Yom HaDin (not Yom Harachamim) and the term yomim NORAIM. While the time for Vidui is after R"H and R"H is certainly a joyous YOM TOV but to remove the trepidation is antithetical to it's essence (Gila V'Raada).

2) G-d has created us imperfect but he has placed no imperative for sin within us, we have made bad choices and we therefor are deserving of punishment. I understand that it is exciting to view R'H as a fantastically happy day with no inherent danger, but it is also exciting to pretend you are a pirate!
  People who lose their ability to cope with tremendous difficulties and mental pressures often build an alternative reality that is easier to swallow. Your outlook is rather reminiscent of that. You seem to feel that if your sheet is too black you cannot really do teshuva so instead of even trying, let's pretend that "G-d doesn't really care! All he really wants is your love!" 
  Perhaps I can help you here, Even the greatest sinner (who's sheet is much blacker than yours) can achieve COMPLETE teshuva on these days. He must however follow the directions we have been given by the Rambam, Rabeinu Yona and others, he cannot make up his own. G-d wants to grant us complete forgiveness, but according to many sources will only do so if and when we recognize the depth of the errors of our ways and that we accept the din upon ourselves on R'H (yaaros devash, michtam m'eliyahu, afikai yam and many many many more). Certainly we cannot do so without a modicom of trepidation and fear.

3)in addition we are not talking about R'H, we are talking about slichos, how can you look at ANY of the words of slichos and possibly conclude that it is not all about teshuvah and inculcating a true regret within your heart!?

4) And finally, Let us presume that the idea of malchiyus is to A)realize how great G-d is, then B)to recognize how miniscule and flawed you are, and then C) to be filled with incredible love and happiness that G-d wants a relationship with YOU (VeAvisa Tehilla Mekrushai Chomer). But after that can any thinking person deny the logical follow-up of D) incredible regret at completely ignoring and grievously unforgivably  sinning against your beloved the entire past year!? Certainly in the midst of your religious extasy you should be feeling terribly sad as well and deciding to never do that ever again!
 Unless of course.... you have decided that G-d doesn't care that you can continue to treat G-d however you please and He will continue to love you in the very same fashion with no consequences... then you are espousing the idea that G-d is a "vatran" and we know that "kol haomer Hakadosh Boruch Vatran, YeVatru Chayav" (perhaps not an absolutely precise quote) and certainly on the day that life is apportioned we shouldn't call G-d a vatran!
Well said
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #232 on: August 30, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »
Well said
+1 (was easier than quoting Steeeve's whole Drashah :) )
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:42:34 PM by Achas Veachas »

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 30, 2013, 06:37:27 PM »
"showing regret". To whom do you need to show it? Gd can see it even if you don't show it, and just because you show it doesn't mean you have out... You know? Maybe challenge yourself a bit...
All there is is joy, gladnedd, and delight.

״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 30, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »
+1 (was easier than quoting Steeeve's whole Drashah :) )
I actually gave a real drasha on this topic this past Wednesday!  :)

Offline SamKey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #235 on: September 01, 2013, 03:13:54 PM »
wow there hasn't been an embedded video in this whole page!

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #236 on: September 01, 2013, 03:17:11 PM »
Depending on how many messages you display per page, there may not be one on last page either....

Offline SamKey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #237 on: September 01, 2013, 03:27:24 PM »
Depending on how many messages you display per page, there may not be one on last page either....
I don't understand why anyone would have it set for less than the maximum

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #238 on: September 09, 2013, 11:27:56 AM »
2 people are standing before the king with soiled clothes, the first one speaks up and says "your majesty, I'm really sorry, I worked for the last month trying to get the stains out but all I managed was to clean this one small spot". The other one stands looking all smug and says "Ha! I didn't even bother, look there is a small white spot here". Question: Which one did the king listen too and forgive and which one was thrown out head first? (hint: the one who was thrown out was heard singing how at least he got to see the inside of the palace for 5 minutes...)

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 09, 2013, 11:45:06 AM »
2 people are standing before the king with soiled clothes, the first one speaks up and says "your majesty, I'm really sorry, I worked for the last month trying to get the stains out but all I managed was to clean this one small spot". The other one stands looking all smug and says "Ha! I didn't even bother, look there is a small white spot here". Question: Which one did the king listen too and forgive and which one was thrown out head first? (hint: the one who was thrown out was heard singing how at least he got to see the inside of the palace for 5 minutes...)
You must be a litvak
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD