Topic Wiki

Ill spell it out for the feeble.
You dont call up and ask if they take Visa gift cards for  a money order.
You dont call up and ask if they take Mastercard gc for a MO
You dont flippin call!

You go into a store and ask for an MO and she says ok its, XXX.XX say no p, take out your debit card and swipe. If the rep says no debits then apologize and leave. If she says lemme see that is that a gc say NO ITS A DEBIT. if she asks wheres your name you say (among many other options to think of) the permanent one is on the way and im using the temp one until i receive it. If you need to swipe more than once, its ok to have multiple debits (for those who are lacking in common sense). But be nonchalant dont be in your face about it to the rep. Reps want to feel they're in charge, its natural for a minimum paid employees...

I think this should give the basics on how to get a MO if you find a place.... this is not rocket science. But it seems like it is to some.... Where to cash out GCs for MO:

Where                                       Which gift card                                   Fee                                     max MO amount                                   

Service desk @ Wal-Mart                  MVD,  Visa from Meta bank,                                  70 cents                                           $1000
                                                  chase (phased out)                                                                                      $1000   

Rite Aid                                                                                                 $0.89                                          $500

"HaNesher HaGadol"                            One Vanilla                                 .52                                          $500 max     
meijer-69 cents up to $1000-most stores
NOTES:
MVD charges 50 cents per transaction so ask for MO of card amount- (fee+ 50 cents) eg @WM ask for 498.80 on MO (or cover $1.20 some other way)
« Last edited by bb1836 on June 04, 2015, 06:22:46 PM »

Author Topic: Money Orders (USPS RIP 11/3/17)  (Read 317599 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Money Orders
« Reply #660 on: November 18, 2014, 08:21:26 PM »
From the mo. Not sure why it was separated but they gave me the bottom half of the money order

That's the thing you'll need.

Call Western Union; they'll issue you a check, but it'll cost a pretty penny (something like $15-30 IIRC).

ETA:

1) If you are the purchaser and have your original money order or the receipt from the bottom of it, complete and sign the money order tracing-refund request on the back of the money order receipt or money order customer request form and send it, the money order or receipt and the $15 nonrefundable processing fee to the address on the form.

The money order receipt must accompany each request. If the purchaser's receipt is not enclosed, your request will be delayed and may be denied. This information is also located on the tracer form portion of the money order receipt.

Allow 30 days for refund processing.

https://thewesternunion.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52/~/money-order-refund
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Adam101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 18, 2014, 08:23:33 PM »
That's the thing you'll need.

Call Western Union; they'll issue you a check, but it'll cost a pretty penny (something like $15-30 IIRC).

ETA:

https://thewesternunion.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52/~/money-order-refund
You are right. It is a Western Union issued money order. I would have to fill out the back of the receipt send it in with $15non-refundable

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 18, 2014, 09:50:15 PM »
You are right. It is a Western Union issued money order. I would have to fill out the back of the receipt send it in with $15non-refundable
It works,  takes a few weeks.  Assuming the finder didn't cash it

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 10, 2015, 10:54:50 PM »
The power of being polite, yet insistent and (acting like) you know your facts:
I went to a close stop and shop to cash out some VGC as MO' ( i had called earlier to confirm that they took debit cards), and the CS girl said I needed to use bank cards, not VGC. I pushed back and eventually the floor manager and then (who I believe was) the store manager (on duty anyway) came over, and they said that it's western union policy to not take the cards. I strongly pushed back since I had just unloaded some at a different store (had a lower per MO limit - S&S has $500 limit) and I said i Know for a fact that is not true. I explained the point of pins on VGC. They had earlier tried to claim a S&S security issue or something (I knew I couldn't fight that if it was true), but as I was being polite, yet forceful, the manager decided to call corporate (not sure if corporate S&S or western union). I went to do shopping and came back 25 minutes later and the girl at the counter said I could in fact use the VGC, but would need to fill out my name and address info on some form they have for  security.  It was getting too close to shabbos, so I had to go but I thanked her very much and said I would be back on sat night or sunday. The power of (second hand) PUTPAC!!
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Online A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 10, 2015, 10:57:31 PM »
I went to a close stop and shop to cash out some VGC as MO' ( i had called earlier to confirm that they took debit cards), and the CS girl said I needed to use bank cards, not VGC. I pushed back and eventually the floor manager and then (who I believe was) the store manager (on duty anyway) came over, and they said that it's western union policy to not take the cards. I strongly pushed back since I had just unloaded some at a different store (had a lower per MO limit - S&S has $500 limit) and I said i Know for a fact that is not true. I explained the point of pins on VGC. They had earlier tried to claim a S&S security issue or something (I knew I couldn't fight that if it was true), but as I was being polite, yet forceful, the manager decided to call corporate (not sure if corporate S&S or western union). I went to do shopping and came back 25 minutes later and the girl at the counter said I could in fact use the VGC, but would need to fill out my name and address info on some form they have for  security.  It was getting too close to shabbos, so I had to go but I thanked her very much and said I would be back on sat night or sunday. The power of (second hand) PUTPAC!!

Western Union or MO?

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 10, 2015, 10:58:32 PM »

Western Union or MO?
MO provided by WU (with the WU logo on it).
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 17, 2015, 09:06:52 PM »
.....aaaaand fail.
Just went in to cash out some GC and asst manager said that store manager said no go.  They wouldnt give me more info other than to tell me to call corporate.  Apparently the one i dealt with last week was asst manager. Not im stuck with like 5K in VGC i need to unload. As I am planing on going to disney next year, I really prefer to use arrival+ in target. Oh well. I guess ill cash these out somehow between evolve and target.  My A&P store also balked on friday. Anyone have any locations theyd care to share or PM?
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 17, 2015, 09:19:22 PM »
Some will never understand no matter how hard you try.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Lou Bob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 17, 2015, 10:11:38 PM »
Some will never understand no matter how hard you try.
and we're not talking about cashiers or managers...  >:(
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 17, 2015, 10:24:10 PM »
.....aaaaand fail.
Just went in to cash out some GC and asst manager said that store manager said no go.  They wouldnt give me more info other than to tell me to call corporate.  Apparently the one i dealt with last week was asst manager. Not im stuck with like 5K in VGC i need to unload. As I am planing on going to disney next year, I really prefer to use arrival+ in target. Oh well. I guess ill cash these out somehow between evolve and target.  My A&P store also balked on friday. Anyone have any locations theyd care to share or PM?
Why?

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 17, 2015, 10:36:20 PM »
Why?
Book through undercover tourist and get refunded via the 2% back. Tix for 3 people is like 2100 which autos require 100k or so of spend
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 17, 2015, 10:38:38 PM »
Book through undercover tourist and get refunded via the 2% back. Tix for 3 people is like 2100 which autos require 100k or so of spend
Thanks for answering.  Now can you do it one more time with a bit more description so I can understand?

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 17, 2015, 10:44:29 PM »
Thanks for answering.  Now can you do it one more time with a bit more description so I can understand?
Autocorrect messed that up, but I buy Disney tix for 3 people through undercover tourist which is travel agency for arrival card and get refunded. The tix cost about 2100 or less so that would need 220000 points or 110000 spending.
Something may have been lost in the typing but your question came off as kind of rude.
I'm not doing major flying anytime soon so the 2 percent on arrival is worth more to me than the vgc at 5x from staples.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 17, 2015, 10:44:42 PM »
and we're not talking about cashiers or managers...  >:(
+1

Offline keemster26

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 20, 2015, 02:01:54 PM »
Since when does rite aid only accept cash for money order? I just went and she said that it doesn't allow debit anymore???

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: February 20, 2015, 03:15:13 PM »
Since when does rite aid only accept cash for money order? I just went and she said that it doesn't allow debit anymore???
Ever since YMMV
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 21, 2015, 05:27:41 PM »
Since when does rite aid only accept cash for money order? I just went and she said that it doesn't allow debit or CC anymore???
FTFY

Offline bermo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 26, 2015, 05:40:03 PM »
Anywhere in LA around 90036 area that I can get a money order with a debit card? And which type of debit card?

Offline bobthebuilder

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Motel 6 elite
« Reply #678 on: March 02, 2015, 10:32:39 PM »
I just went to 2 different wal marts.... system is hard coded not to except gc for MO. Are MO dead?

Offline Tom Brady

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Ritz Platinum
« Reply #679 on: March 02, 2015, 10:35:30 PM »
I just went to 2 different wal marts.... system is hard coded not to except gc for MO. Are MO dead?
Walmart was never the only place where you could buy money orders.