Author Topic: Max Rhoade - attorney who freed Frierdiker Rebbe from Germany-controlled Poland  (Read 1177 times)

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
When the Frierdiker Rebbe was stuck in Poland at the outbreak of WWII, the two main lawyers who worked to get him out, as described in Out of the Inferno by Rachel Altein, a truly fascinating book, were Samuel Kramer and Max Rhoade. Samuel Kramer was based in NY, while Max Rhoade was based in DC. Out of the Inferno has the following biographical sketch about Max Rhoade:

To our regret, our only source of biographical information about Mr. Rhoade are the issues of Who's Who in American Jewry of 1926, 1938-9, and 1955.
Mr. Rhoade was born in Poland, and was brough to the U.S.A. as a very young child. As is obvious from his decisive role in the rescue of the Rebbe, Mr. Rhoade was a prominent, influential attorney, who specialized in governmental and international law.
While still a student in George Washington University Law-School, and throughout the years reported in Who's Who of American Jewry, Mr. Rhoade served as a high-ranking officer in various national Zionist organizations, including the National Executive Committee Z.O.A.
Some time after the war, Mr. Rhoade moved to New York City, and entered the business world. We were told (but could not confirm) that he subsequently relocated to the Holy Land. His brilliant and successful efforts in the Rebbe's rescue attest to his warm Jewish heart and strong devotion to Jewish causes.

I thought it would be interesting to search for information about Max Rhoade and figured this is as good a place as any to share info.
Here is his 1940 Census record: https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/2442/images/M-T0627-01522-00326?ssrc=&backlabel=Return&pId=149786480
Potential obituary: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/104264316/obituary-for-max-rhoade-aged-66/
Potential grave: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/231885453/max-rhoade

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Amazing and sad. The most simple grave imaginable. He played a pivotal role in keeping Lubavitch chassidus alive. Looks like he had one step-daughter, but probably no kids of his own. I wonder if anyone has visited his grave ever. You have to read the book to understand the role he played. He had deep connections with Department of State and many other well-connected people and he leveraged those connections to get the Frierdiker Rebbe out of Poland and into the United States. He was also heavily involved in the strategizing.

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
According to 1930 Census, his father came to US in 1898 and he and his mother came in 1900. Not always exactly correct, but should give approximate range. Most people came in through Ellis Island, although some came in through Baltimore or Boston or other places.

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Father Joseph's WWII draft registration card: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKC4-FK8S
Birthplace is Prasnich, Poland. Not sure yet what city/town that really is.

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Obituary for Max's father (from The Evening Star, Washington, DC, Friday, June 24, 1955, pg. A-14 (from fultonhistory.com)):

Obituary for Max's mother (from The Sunday Star, Washington, DC, Sunday, October 13, 1957, pg. R-36 (from fultonhistory.com)):

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Here is the JRI-Poland index record for the marriage of Max Rhoade's parents and the birth of Max. Max's Hebrew name appears to have been Mordechai Zorach ben Yaakov Yosef. And his yahrtzeit was 7 Adar (or 8 Adar if he died after shkiah). A fitting yahrtzeit.

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
If anyone from Chabad sees this and has any interest in doing some sort of memorial for Max Rhoade, please let me know. I have been in touch with his family and I think they would appreciate it. Again, having read Rachel Altein's book, Out of the Inferno, I can't underestimate Max's role in the rescue of the Frierdiker Rebbe.

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
If anyone from Chabad sees this and has any interest in doing some sort of memorial for Max Rhoade, please let me know. I have been in touch with his family and I think they would appreciate it. Again, having read Rachel Altein's book, Out of the Inferno, I can't underestimate Max's role in the rescue of the Frierdiker Rebbe.
maybe contact Dovid Margolin.

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
maybe contact Dovid Margolin.
Or Dovid eliezrie

Offline Onefishtwofish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Or zaklikovsky