Author Topic: Disputing Late Payments with Creditor / Credit Bureau  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Plus1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Disputing Late Payments with Creditor / Credit Bureau
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:44:39 PM »
Does anyone have any advice for disputing ACCURATE negative information on a credit report?

I missed the letter in the mail 3 months ago, and forgot to pay a silly $35 credit card payment to Discover back in March.  They reported it to the 3 credit bureaus that I was 30 days late on a payment.  I have nearly perfect credit otherwise, and this caused a drop in my credit score.  I am looking to buy a house now, and this will negatively affect my mortgage rate and overall credit card rate etc.

What are my options to go about this?  I poked around the internet but there seems to be a lot of misinformation on the topic.  I know I can contact one of the "Credit Repair" companies, but I don't want to pay a lot of money for something I can just do myself.

Can someone advise what to do, or point me in the right direction?

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Disputing Late Payments with Creditor / Credit Bureau
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:10:16 AM »
Does anyone have any advice for disputing ACCURATE negative information on a credit report?

I missed the letter in the mail 3 months ago, and forgot to pay a silly $35 credit card payment to Discover back in March.  They reported it to the 3 credit bureaus that I was 30 days late on a payment.  I have nearly perfect credit otherwise, and this caused a drop in my credit score.  I am looking to buy a house now, and this will negatively affect my mortgage rate and overall credit card rate etc.

What are my options to go about this?  I poked around the internet but there seems to be a lot of misinformation on the topic.  I know I can contact one of the "Credit Repair" companies, but I don't want to pay a lot of money for something I can just do myself.

did you ask the creditor (discover) if, being a mistake, 1st time, yada yada, they would take back the late-payment report?

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:13:09 AM »

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/22720
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Plus1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »
Yes I asked Discover and they told me there is nothing they can do.  I called three different times with 3 different stories too. :(

And yes,I see that I can pay to fix this problem and I guess that is my only choice....

Offline deli52

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half
Dow Jones Industrial Average Tops 40000 for the First Time

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:11:52 AM »
Would disputing it and then applying for a mortgage during the dispute period work?

#justwondering