Topic Wiki

Trip Reports

Dan, AJK here and here , Chapshnell, UshDadude, sam28, YudiG, Tzfas, mochada, jagstangz, Neil, dpk4588, BKYW, tzifanya54, stever, mordechain, nafnaf12, SLMYRCB, Friars500

Flight Options (as of 04/18)

Cathay Pacific flies directly to/from JFK (777-300ER).         

Final date for this route, 02/23/20

Economy:
12.5K BA OW
17.5K AS OW
20K CX OW (30K RT)

Premium Economy:
25K BA OW
20K AS OW
24K CX OW (36K RT)

Business Class:
37.5K BA OW
25K AS OW
25K CX OW (50K RT)

First Class:
50K BA OW
35K AS OW
40K CX OW (70K RT)
Air Canada flies directly to/from EWR (787-800).
Economy:
12.5K SQ, UA, AC OW

Premium Economy:
20K AC OW

Business Class:
20K SQ OW
25K UA, AC OW

There is also a Delta flight direct to/from JFK in the summer months (prices vary as expected from Delta).   

DP01 (07/13): CX availability becomes better closer to the flight. (MEIR613)
DP02 (04/18): CX availability disappears 3-5 days out on BA and AS. (SLMYRCB)
DP03 (08/18): CX availability can only show up on BA or AS if there is more than 1 seat remaining, if it's only 1 seat, it will only be available on CX.com Use CX.com to see actual # of seats available. (@Yehuda)

Food - BC Kosher List

Cafe Forty One (dairy - cholov yisrael) formerly Shuk Eat/Play
5750 Oak Street
Vancouver, BC
V6M 2V9, Canada
Tel: 604-563-4141
Delivery Service via Skip The Dishes (Fairmont Pacific Rim is not within the deliverable area)
"Really great, everything tasty good value, best Caesar Salad ever, and order pizza in advance for good "camp" like homemade yummyness." (shiframeir)
"Nice selection of pastries in addition to their dairy menu. The pizzas and sandwiches are very good." (SLMYRCB)

Nava Creative Cusine (dairy/pareve - non cholov yisrael)
950 West 41st Avenue
Vancouver, BC
Tel: (604) 676-7579
Located at the JCC - right around corner from Cafe Forty One

Omnitsky's Kosher (meat)
5775 Oak Street,
Vancouver, BC
Tel: (604) 321-1818
Just across the street from Cafe Forty One

Sabra Bakery (meat)
3844 Oak Street
Vancouver, BC
Tel: (604) 733-4912
Two miles down Oak Street near the Sharei Tzedek Shul

Maple Grill (meat)
1967 W Broadway
Vancouver, BC
V6J 1Z3, Canada
Tel: (604) 568-4885

Mount Royal Bagels - North Vancouver
701 Queensbury Ave
North Vancouver, BC
V7L 3V9, Canada
Tel: (604) 904-1116

Real Canadian Superstore
Marine Drive
Has kosher products

Kosher Food Warehouse
612 Kingsway (rear)
Vancouver, BC
Tel: (604) 709-9889

Shabbos

Chabad Downtown - walkable from many hotels, no Eruv, Shacharis on Shabbos followed by Kiddush, Friday night Minyan last weekend each month.
TheKollel - in the community, yes Eruv, Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre only points hotel in the Eruv, Airbnb options, all Minyanim, free Shabbos meals. Some hotels downtown (outside the Eruv) are about an hour walk.
Eruv - https://goo.gl/maps/D2oLBC39GT72

Activities

Stanley park - trolley, rent bikes at Bayshore Bike/Spokes/lots of other places (Westin Bayshore provides 2 hours of free bikes), playground/water are, 9 o'clock gun
Aquarium in Stanley Park
Capilano suspension bridge - also tree walk and cliff walk
Capilano Salmon Hatchery
Lynn Canyon suspension bridge and hikes (Twin Falls, 30 Foot Pool) - free
Grouse Mountain - gondola up, can take chairlift even higher, then an elevator to top of windmill, view of Vancouver, ziplining, parasailing, lumberjack show, see grizzly bears, Grouse Grind - way to hike up the mountain instead
Granville island - market, street performers, kayaking, stand up paddleboat, false creek ferries, brewery tour, kids play area, rent a boat, can bike to here
Seaplane around Vancouver harbor or to Whistler -  http://www.harbour-air.com/index.php 
Whale watching
Victoria Island - ferry to the island/back, Butchart Gardens (expensive, underwhelming), Miniature World, Fisherman's Wharf, oldest Synagogue in Canada. Victoria seems to be very expensive, ferry $30, to bring a car $100, gardens $30.
Bowen Island
Seabus - cheap ferry across harbor and back
Deep Cove kayaking
UBC Garden - Greenheart TreeWalk (look for Groupon)
Zoo
Harbor boat tours - boatrent.ca, Harbor Cruises was terrible - dpk4588
Sea wall
Watch sea planes
Cypress Mountain
Seymour Mountain
Art Museum
Science center imax
Pacific Center Mall
See Olympic torch
"Tour Guys" free walking tour
Rivers to see salmon spawn (swim upstream)
Robson street
Denman street
Vancouver Convention Center - Olympics memorabilia
Kitsilano Beach
Kids Bowl Free
Takaya golf centre
Poets cove
Elizabeth gardens
Van dusen gardens - better than Elizabeth gardens
Canada Place - fly over canada ride experience
Brittania Mine Museum
Vancouver Lookout
Gastown - steam clock
Chinatown
Yaletown
http://scenicrush.com/ - exotic car drive up the Sea to sky highway
Dr SunYatSen Chinese Garden (Dan and a DDFer said not worth it)
Free Chinese Garden
Lighthouse park
Safari Eco Boat Tour and Seaplane flight  Sewellsmarina.com

On the way to Whistler: (see Whistler Master Thread)
Sea to sky highway
Sea to sky gondola in Squamish, can hike up and take gondola down
River rafting in Squamish
Shannon Falls
Brandywine Falls
Panorama Ridge Hike in Lake Garibaldi in between Squamish and Whistler

« Last edited by pointer on February 16, 2020, 11:32:24 PM »

Author Topic: Vancouver Master Thread  (Read 274687 times)

Offline Suz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vancouver Master Thread
« Reply #1100 on: August 27, 2018, 04:41:30 PM »
Lol, because everyone keeps saying that this year is the worst. But that is my point, people just need to be aware of the possibility and make an informed decision. If you look at the Whistler webcams or the Sea to Sky webcams, just 96 hours after I left, it looks like it mostly cleared up and a week before I got there it was nice also.

It’s picture perfect beautiful today!  :D

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: August 27, 2018, 08:30:14 PM »
Lol, because everyone keeps saying that this year is the worst. But that is my point, people just need to be aware of the possibility and make an informed decision. If you look at the Whistler webcams or the Sea to Sky webcams, just 96 hours after I left, it looks like it mostly cleared up and a week before I got there it was nice also.
Wow the webcams are awesome today. I want to go back :P

Offline Suz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Vancouver Master Thread,
« Reply #1102 on: August 27, 2018, 11:08:18 PM »
Wow the webcams are awesome today. I want to go back :P

Yes, you would have loved it today.  Perfect! 
Give Vancouver another try.  :)

Offline Friars500

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 28, 2018, 11:30:02 AM »
Well Forest Fires or not - this was our trip - and it was nice.  I had just heard so many nice things about the beauty it was very tough with the poor visibility.  Had a large group of 10, ages ranged from 68 - 2, so for those with babies or children (or seniors) this is a very doable itinerary.  For those who want a little more intense hiking, do the High Note hike in Whistler or the Panorama Ridge Hike in Lake Garibaldi in between Whistler and Squamish.

We thoroughly enjoyed Maple Grill, Ominitsky for sandwiches and Cafe 41 for everything we ate there (surprisingly very good pizza).  We brought along our own food for shabbos (supplemented by Ominitsky) and I had grilled hamburgers for dinner on our Victoria day because it's late.   

Also, for those on Cathay Pacific, YVR car rentals do close at their designated times and even if they promise to stay open, may actually not.  Read the reviews of YVR car rental places, I have never seen worse reviews of a Budget franchise and my FIL was hit with a "cut in the tire" bs line.  Alamo, would not stay open past their time for me and Avis although promising they would, left anyway (yes, they did make it up to me with a significant discount on the rental).

Friday

UBC Botanical Gardens with Treetop walk
Aquarium + Stanley Park (Walk to Totem Poles from aquarium and then just around a little). *Tip, if you park right near the aquarium and then walk to the Totem Poles, it's only a 12 minute walk.  However, the edge of the parking lot, which you need to drive to anyway to get out of the aquarium parking lot, is usually empty and only a five minute walk to the poles.

Shabbos

Walked around Queen Elizabeth Park.

Sunday

Grouse Mountain (Gondola up, view of Vancouver, several shows including a really good lumberjack show and birds demonstration, nature walk, chairlift to an even higher peak)
Suggested timing to get all in (Summer 2018 Schedule) -
Arrive at Grouse around 10 take Gondola up
10:45 - Owl Interpretive Session (25 minutes)
11:15 - Lumberjack Show (40 minutes) (cute and funny)
12:15 - Ranger Talk about the Wildlife refuge and 2 Bears they have there (kind of boring)- quick snack time (not lunch)/ or Chairlift up
1:00 - Guided Eco Walk (45 Minutes)
Eat lunch in the Pollinator Gardens - general free time
3:15 - Birds in motion demonstration (really good)
4:00 - finish up anything that caught our fancy and head down gondola

Capilano Salmon Hatchery - Kids enjoyed.

Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge and Hikes (this one is free compared to Capilano Suspension Bridge).

Maple Grill for dinner - very good food, but overwhelmed by amount of tourist (reservation did not help).

Monday

Victoria Island - Boat Ferry to Island, Miniature World, Walk around Downtown Victoria, Drive by Canada's oldest shul).
Butchart Gardens - a truly beautiful and magnificent Botanical Garden (and not redundant to UBC).  Ferry back to Vancouver, ate dinner on ferry (grilled burgers we had brought).

Tuesday

Squamish Area - Drove via Highway 99, also known as the Sea to Sky Highway to Sea to Sky Gondola area. Their parking lot also leads to Shanon Falls, which we did first. Then we took Gondola up and walked the suspension bridge. From there we did the Ridge Loop very short hike.  Then group did the Panorama Lookout Hike. After that, some of the group did the Wonderland Lake hike, while others rested in the main area which included a play area for the baby.

After Sea to Sky area, we drove back towards Vancouver but stopped at the Britannia Mine, which was enjoyable for both adults and children.

Cafe 41 Dinner (we took out).

Wednesday

Whistler - note Whistler is further north than Squamish. It probably makes sense to stay over night between Squamish and Whistler, rather than drive back to Vancouver and then come back another day.

Whistler Village walk around
Gondola up. Suspension Bridge and several hikes (there is snow in pockets of the mountain (even is summer) so go have a snowball fight!).  Peak to Peak (several hikes option on other peak, Blackcomb).
After we went down, Bike ridding around Village.

Thursday

Granville Island - kids water park (free) and interesting shops to walk around. Nice, small indoor kids zone.  Also a place to buy from these stores souvenirs for trip.

Also, be sure to check out the Granville Island Brewery. They do tours (10 bucks) or just tastings for rather cheap.

Cafe 41 for lunch and across the street to Ominitsky's to pick up sandwiches for plane ride back.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 28, 2018, 01:30:05 PM »
I haven't read the whole thing, but I thought Cafe 41 was TERRIBLE, including the pizza. Wow, such an opposite experience. Haha. This must be like Red Heifer in Cancun - people having completely opposite experiences.

Offline Friars500

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 28, 2018, 01:36:50 PM »
I haven't read the whole thing, but I thought Cafe 41 was TERRIBLE, including the pizza. Wow, such an opposite experience. Haha. This must be like Red Heifer in Cancun - people having completely opposite experiences.

To be clear, Cafe 41 had a thick dough pizza and saltier taste in the dough and cheese. Both of which are plusses to my group. If someone is a thin crust, sweet tasting type, then they will likely hate it.

Soup and sandwiches were good. Mac and cheese ok. Salmon was ok but small portion. Salad tasted like leaves and vegetables should and was a big portion.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:40:25 PM by Friars500 »

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #1106 on: August 28, 2018, 01:56:49 PM »
To be clear, Cafe 41 had a thick dough pizza and saltier taste in the dough and cheese. Both of which are plusses to my group. If someone is a thin crust, sweet tasting type, then they will likely hate it.

Soup and sandwiches were good. Mac and cheese ok. Salmon was ok but small portion. Salad tasted like leaves and vegetables should and was a big portion.
we LOVED cafe 41, thought pizza was really a "camp" pizza for those that remember, not a classic pizza store pizza.  For next time, dont go to maple grill sunday night, go to cafe 41 which was rarely full for dinner. maple for weeknights :)

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 29, 2018, 11:07:17 AM »

Finished the TR - nice job! Can't believe you drove back and forth to Sea-to-Sea and then back to Whistler, but I understand the appeal of staying in the same place the whole trip.

TR to come, but the smoothie had 0 flavor, the mac n cheese had also barely any flavor, the cheese wasn't melted on the pizza, although yes, otherwise it wasn't the dish that made me say "terrible". The fries were the only good food. Enjoyed Nava much better.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:22:46 PM by @Yehuda »

Offline wonderlust

• View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 30, 2018, 04:38:28 PM »
Finished the TR - nice job! Can't believe you drove back and forth to Sea-to-Sea and then back to Whistler, but I understand the appeal of staying in the same place the whole trip.

TR to come, but the smoothie had 0 flavor, the mac n cheese had also barely any flavor, the cheese wasn't melted on the pizza, although yes, otherwise it wasn't the dish that made me say "terrible". The fries were the only good food. Enjoyed Nava much better.

TR coming hopefully next week, and i happened to have enjoyed the restaurant but I want to make a point that so often is overlooked on this forum/dansdeals website: when you go out of town, the Kosher food options are not being provided by large businesses but small mom& pop shops that are typically some families only parnasa and they are prob bearly getting by even if they are “successful”. When ppl start bashing eateries because they weren’t a fan they should take pause and realize this is someone’s reputation and livelihood your affecting. I’m not saying you have to say it was good and you loved it but language like terrible/disgusting and horrible service I think should be toned down.

Offline wonderlust

• View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 30, 2018, 04:39:39 PM »
TR coming hopefully next week, and i happened to have enjoyed the restaurant but I want to make a point that so often is overlooked on this forum/dansdeals website: when you go out of town, the Kosher food options are not being provided by large businesses but small mom& pop shops that are typically some families only parnasa and they are prob bearly getting by even if they are “successful”. When ppl start bashing eateries because they weren’t a fan they should take pause and realize this is someone’s reputation and livelihood your affecting. I’m not saying you have to say it was good and you loved it but language like terrible/disgusting and horrible service I think should be toned down.
And for the record I am not in the restaurant business, am a big foody and have 100 Kosher places in my 5 mike radius so this was not a plug of any sort

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: August 30, 2018, 04:59:51 PM »
As someone who grew up in a smaller NJ community with a few restaurants and married an out of town girl from a place with 2 restaurants, I disagree with the idea that they get a pass for having bad food/service. How did my local pizza and chinese store serve great food even though it's a small community? Maybe I could have used nicer words like "we didn't like the food". But I was more willing to speak the way I did because it's not like there's only 1 option. Vancouver has a lot of Kosher options for an "out of town place", including having 2 dairy options next door to each other! One was simply much better than the other. I am not a foodie, nor am I a NYer trying to be mean and not understanding of an OOT restaurant. I just don't see how someone can recommend this place over the other. (Unless it really is like Red Heifer - completely different experiences every time you go in.)

I also don't get your other point, restaurants are people's parnassas even in NYC.

Offline wonderlust

• View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: August 30, 2018, 06:28:30 PM »
As someone who grew up in a smaller NJ community with a few restaurants and married an out of town girl from a place with 2 restaurants, I disagree with the idea that they get a pass for having bad food/service. How did my local pizza and chinese store serve great food even though it's a small community? Maybe I could have used nicer words like "we didn't like the food". But I was more willing to speak the way I did because it's not like there's only 1 option. Vancouver has a lot of Kosher options for an "out of town place", including having 2 dairy options next door to each other! One was simply much better than the other. I am not a foodie, nor am I a NYer trying to be mean and not understanding of an OOT restaurant. I just don't see how someone can recommend this place over the other. (Unless it really is like Red Heifer - completely different experiences every time you go in.)

I also don't get your other point, restaurants are people's parnassas even in NYC.

I didn’t mean to single you out I was saying more as a general concept that ppl should realize that since this a public travel forum your words will impact others decision and since a lot of these establishments rely on tourist for their income (and yes Vancouver has many food options but still a small local community) ppl shouldn’t just flippantly knock a place.. As for nyc I don’t think a place like reserves cut will give a damn if you say their food isn’t good because you have hundreds of other reviews online to contest you but not so in a random place. I think there is also a distinction between some places that take advantage of being the only option and therefore serve crap and give you attitude/charge a fortune vs some lady or Israeli guy that just doesn’t make a good falafel..

For the record I’m personally not a fan of Manalipan/Elizabeth Chinese but clearly there are a difference of opinions (my point exactly)😀

Offline tzifanya54

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 03, 2018, 05:13:45 PM »
Happen to not be a fan of their pizza but e/t else was spot on, IME 2 years ago and end of August this year.

Offline Friars500

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 03, 2018, 10:45:54 PM »
Happen to not be a fan of their pizza but e/t else was spot on, IME 2 years ago and end of August this year.

Welcome back - sorry I missed you - our planes probably flew right by each other!!

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 03, 2018, 11:59:33 PM »
Welcome back - sorry I missed you - our planes probably flew right by each other!!
Lol.

Offline Berry6

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 12, 2018, 07:21:44 PM »
To whoever recommendEd Sabra grill, their shwarma was underwhelming. Bakery was a strength. Try the Nanaimo bar if you go.

Offline DTM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 22, 2018, 09:54:35 PM »
Is there a Chabad or similar availability of Shabbos meals?

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 22, 2018, 10:36:50 PM »
Is there a Chabad or similar availability of Shabbos meals?
Chabad downtown has sit down day kidush with cholent and challah rolls.

Offline DTM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 23, 2018, 02:09:20 PM »
Chabad downtown has sit down day kidush with cholent and challah rolls.
Thanks, what can be done for Shabbos dinner Friday night?

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 23, 2018, 02:13:13 PM »
Thanks, what can be done for Shabbos dinner Friday night?
I’ve always just brought food from sabra or omnitskys. They sell everything you need and food is quite good.