Author Topic: Hotel, points versus dollars  (Read 998 times)

Offline raccah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Hotel, points versus dollars
« on: December 23, 2013, 05:52:45 AM »
I will need a hotel in the LAX area in the coming months and I was wondering, does it pay to use 7K SPG or UR points for another hotel versus 122 dollars for the room?

8K with an Ink would cost me (WORST case) 8*7 = 56 dollars versus the 122 or 150? But does 8K get you a hotel room near the airport? Hyaat and Hilton both seems to want much more.

Thanks!

Offline raccah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Hotel, points versus dollars
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »
WOW, OK, I guess I needed to do this on my own, perfectly acceptable - please tell me if my math or info is incorrect, or if I am missing another hotel transfer option for either UR or Amex (I ignored AA or UA for now). Also, I ignored how I got these miles - no matter to me - I am valuing the cost, not the "free points":

1) Best Western - the hotel costs 120 and the cost would be 24K points! LOL! That was a pass, as this is a Amex point transfer and the best MS I could get with my Amex card is 2x, which brings the cost of 24K points to a whopping: 24K/2 = 12K/500 = 24 * 5 = 120 bux, pass.

2) Comfort Inn - the hotel costs 95 dollars and that costs me 28K points to get 100 dollars in GC. Turn that around and it is more expensive than paying in cash and forget the MS effort to boot!

3) Hilton - the hotel costs 179, and 30K points. 20K points transfers to 30K, so the cost is 20K Amex points, which comes at a cost of 100 dollars, which is not a bad trade - but not so great either. There is the option to use VA to transfer to Hilton (2 transfers), but that takes too long for me right now. If I did try that it would come to 15K which comes to a cost of 75 dollars - not bad for a nice hotel.

4) SPG through SPG card - 7K points. The cost of acquiring 7K points with SPG is 7K/500 = 14 * 4 = 56. The best deal by far so far. The hotel goes for 170 dollars and at 7K nets out to 2.5 cents a point. Not great and maybe a waste of these points - but a solid option.

5) SPG (using Amex points) is a non starter as the transfer is not great right now.

6) Marriot with Chase - 25K points, at 5x that is 5K points. 5K / 200 = 25 * 7 = 175, not worth it.

7) Hyatt with chase is 12K. Now we are getting closer. 12K/5 = 2400/200 = 12 * 7 = 84. 84 dollars for a very nice hotel valued at 189, not bad. Best chase option so far.

8 ) IHG with chase is 30K - pass for a 110 dollar hotel

So, to recap, I either use Hyatt at 12K for a nice hotel or SPG at 7K for an equally nice hotel. Points cost wise, the SPG is the cheapest, but these are hallowed points to many, as the conversion is far better for higher end vacations. So, I will go with 12K UR points and it is still cheaper than the room.

Now, did I miss any cool conversion options (like the Amex to VA to Hilton)? Is my math/logic farkrumpt (twisted)?

Thanks!

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 03:41:55 PM »
I don't follow the math there ^ and no matter how many times ilherman explains it to me, I keep forgetting how point values work.

2 examples:
Elliot Hotel in GIB costs $165 or can be booked through Chase UR mall for 16K UR.
AC Hotel in SVQ costs $64 or 10K UR transferred to Marriott.

Does this math make sense?
GIB - UR are valued at 1.6 so .016*16000=$256
SVQ - UR are valued at 1.6 so .016*10000=$160

Therefore, in both cases, it makes more sense to pay outright for the hotel than to use points, right?
Unless, of course, the goal was just to get a free night, no matter the cost.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 03:45:49 PM »
Most people get rid of their points in that case. Meanwhile you'd still get more out of them using them for travel usually. If it were me I'd pay outright.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 03:51:40 PM »
Most people get rid of their points in that case. Meanwhile you'd still get more out of them using them for travel usually. If it were me I'd pay outright.
Gotcha. Haven't really thought about it for my hotel stays. Have just assumed that points are worth it. Maybe I should recalculate all my hotel stays.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:37:52 PM by @Yehuda »