Author Topic: Best credit card to earn miles - flying to Israel summer 2015  (Read 9555 times)

Offline leeorsmom

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Please give me advice on how to earn air miles to fly to Israel. Also interested in best airlines from New York to Israel for next summer (2015) and deals on renting apartments for summer in Jerusalem.
Thank you

Offline HDS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Best credit card to earn miles - flying to Israel summer 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »
Please give me advice on how to earn air miles to fly to Israel. Also interested in best airlines from New York to Israel for next summer (2015) and deals on renting apartments for summer in Jerusalem.
Thank you

Hi, welcome to the forums.

It will be in your best interest to use the search feature and do some research on the forums yourself first. There are several threads - and posts by Dan on the main site- which specifically deal with award travel to Israel.

Very briefly, at this point one of your best bets for collecting lots of points fairly quickly will be via sign-up bonuses, and/or via an Ink card (or three) from Chase, and using a 5-point/$ category of spending.

Please use the search feature on the forums or the main site to learn the details of this method. The points transfer 1:1 to several useful airlines for Israel, but the most straightforward is probably United.

I can't reiterate enough how beneficial it will be to you and the efficiency of your points-gathering to spend some time researching on the forums, rather than asking to be spoon-fed.

Offline bubble347

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:02:47 PM »
Welcome to the forums. There are threads for everything just apply a little elbow grease and you will find them. People around here are more than happy to help but not so eager to spoon-feed. You can try this for starters from the main site http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/23168
Watch this inspiring video.

Offline bubble347

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:03:43 PM »
Woops! Jinx I guess :)
Watch this inspiring video.

Offline freddy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 02:19:40 PM »

It will be in your best interest to use the search feature and do some research on the forums yourself first. There are several threads - and posts by Dan on the main site- which specifically deal with award travel to Israel.

Very briefly, at this point one of your best bets for collecting lots of points fairly quickly will be via sign-up bonuses, and/or via an Ink card (or three) from Chase, and using a 5-point/$ category of spending.

Please use the search feature on the forums or the main site to learn the details of this method. The points transfer 1:1 to several useful airlines for Israel, but the most straightforward is probably United.

I can't reiterate enough how beneficial it will be to you and the efficiency of your points-gathering to spend some time researching on the forums, rather than asking to be spoon-fed.
Bad advice firstbuild credit as authorized user, student cc, or store cc,theres no way you'l get aproved for ink without excellent credit
"Judge me by the enemies I make"

Offline Novo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase A/A, Amex F/R, Citi A/A. Hertz DNR.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 02:21:35 PM »
Bad advice firstbuild credit as authorized user, student cc, or store cc,theres no way you'l get aproved for ink without excellent credit
Dude, did you check this guys CR?
I try my best :-\
Quote from: Centro
If you wanna go fast, go alone
If you wanna go far, go together

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »

Seems like lately new members don't have the search feature.  :)

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
Seems like lately new members don't have the search feature.  :)
You need a certain number of posts / new threads started to get "expert" features, including search.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline freddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 02:47:23 PM »
Dude, did you check this guys CR?
Didn't sound like he's an experianced credit user. But let's ask him. ::)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 02:47:43 PM »
You need a certain number of posts / new threads started to get "expert" features, including search.
Its called elite status.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 02:49:01 PM »
Its called elite status.
That's the word I was looking for - thanks!
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline HDS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 03:58:41 PM »
Didn't sound like he's an experienced credit user. But let's ask him. ::)

FTFY

I guess we don't know the person's creditworthiness, that's true, but we don't know they are necessarily a complete beginner either.

I think you'd agree that, regardless of their path to creditworthiness (if they need one) that my suggestion maps out a reasonable direction in which to head?

Offline freddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 04:03:24 PM »
FTFY

I guess we don't know the person's creditworthiness, that's true, but we don't know they are necessarily a complete beginner either.

I think you'd agree that, regardless of their path to creditworthiness (if they need one) that my suggestion maps out a reasonable direction in which to head?
That's true. I just didn't want him to apply for cards that he might have no chance getting approved for not knowing that it will set him back 3 months. (all the inquries)

Offline HDS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 04:08:34 PM »
That's true. I just didn't want him to apply for cards that he might have no chance getting approved for not knowing that it will set him back 3 months. (all the inquries)

Unless they REALLY have 0 credit at all, a little HUCA goes a long way.

I'd imagine that most adults nowadays have a reasonable credit history. Obviously, if it is messed up, that's something else entirely.

Offline freddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »
Unless they REALLY have 0 credit at all, a little HUCA goes a long way.

I'd imagine that most adults nowadays have a reasonable credit history. Obviously, if it is messed up, that's something else entirely.
I myself have only been an authorized user about 10 months and had two credit cards for only 2/3 months. But then again I'm only 19.

Offline leeorsmom

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 10:46:20 AM »
Thank you for the responses. I have been doing my research. I have excellent credit - in 800's and I have the chase freedom so I was thinking of signing up for the chase ink in branch for 70k bonus points - though the sapphire appears to give rewards in my normal shopping categories.
1. Should I get sapphire at same time in branch or online - since I have to go to branch for ink 70k will they check my credit twice - I want to avoid that (saw post about three cards, 3 browsers)
2. I was also looking at amex starwood card and I saw chase has a comparable card, but I thought I saw starwood points can transfer to el al
3.If I close old accounts please explain what transferring credit means in order to avoid negetive changes in credit score.
4. How many cards can I close - benifit to keeping open or closed

Thank you so much for your help and guidance.

Offline Novo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase A/A, Amex F/R, Citi A/A. Hertz DNR.
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 10:53:43 AM »
Thank you for the responses. I have been doing my research. I have excellent credit - in 800's and I have the chase freedom so I was thinking of signing up for the chase ink in branch for 70k bonus points - though the sapphire appears to give rewards in my normal shopping categories.
1. Should I get sapphire at same time in branch or online - since I have to go to branch for ink 70k will they check my credit twice - I want to avoid that (saw post about three cards, 3 browsers)
2. I was also looking at amex starwood card and I saw chase has a comparable card, but I thought I saw starwood points can transfer to el al
3.If I close old accounts please explain what transferring credit means in order to avoid negetive changes in credit score.

Answer to number 1. Applying for SP and Ink will result on 2 credit pulls. If you decide on business cards, you can get the IP and IB in a 2BM and ask them to match it to the 70k offer. The offer in branch doesn't have the first years AF waived vs. getting it online and asking to be matched where you will get 70k + 1st year free
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/48238
I try my best :-\
Quote from: Centro
If you wanna go fast, go alone
If you wanna go far, go together

Offline HDS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 11:26:38 AM »

1. You are better off not applying in branch, so that you can avoid the annual fee for the first year.

2. I don't think you will be able to put enough spending on this card (or whatever you saw from Chase) in order to help you get to Israel (your stated goal). SPG is a good card to have, for sure, but I don't think you should look at it as part of your Israel strategy. I do not think it can transfer to El Al, but someone else could weigh in on this to confirm.

3. & 4. Generally, old account benefit you in a number of ways. They make your credit history older, which is good for your credit score, and they generally make your usage ratio lower, since you have credit on them that you probably aren't using all that much. It is a good idea to use older cards every once in a while to keep active spending on them, but assuming there are no onerous fees on the credit cards, there might not be a reason to close them. If there are fees, or you want to close a card for some other reason, it makes sense to transfer the CL to another card with the same bank, to preserve your available credit, which benefits the usage ratio component of your credit score.

Also, if you find that you are running into a lot of declined applications, and the Recon agents are saying things like "you already have xx cards with us" or "we've already extended you xx,xxx credit, that's all we can do" then it makes sense to offer to transfer some credit from another card with the same bank in order to get the new application approved.

Offline leeorsmom

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »
How many points do I need to earn on Chase ink card to get 1 ticket to Israel and can I transfer points from all chase cards onto one card? Or is it better to go with combo of amex gold and amex starwood - how many points = ticket to Israel and can I transfer points between those?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Offline HDS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 11:41:20 AM »
How many points do I need to earn on Chase ink card to get 1 ticket to Israel and can I transfer points from all chase cards onto one card? Or is it better to go with combo of amex gold and amex starwood - how many points = ticket to Israel and can I transfer points between those?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Back to the research, I'm sorry. :) All these answers are available, and there are MANY potential different options for the points which you should explore.