Author Topic: Car rental advice  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Yellow

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Car rental advice
« on: April 24, 2011, 02:37:52 AM »
I need to rent a car from 4/28- 5/1 (over a weekend) leaving and returning the car EWR.

My questions are:
Whats the cheapest way to get a car (i dont care about size or anything) while using a corporate code? I am underage and would like to have the fees waved and IIRC, the corporate code waives the fees. (I would do priceline but i dunno if i can use a corp. code via priceline...)
Also, will being an amex plat member help get me a discount? Hertz #1 gold?

Additionally, which card includes better insurance on the card: Amex plat or SPG?

Thanks in advance

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Car rental advice
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »
Hertz gold can get you discount, however Amex Plat is prob a better one. Plus you can't stack corps and yes you will need a corporate to waive underage (try chabad it was the cheapest when I checked last) another optio is USAA, discussed elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 02:53:06 AM by elikay »

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 02:52:28 AM »
Hertz gold can get you discount, however Amex Plat is prob a better one. Plus you canr stack corps and yes you will need a corporate to waive underage (try chabad it was the cheapest when I checked last) another optio is USA, discussed elsewhere.
Thank you
How do i use my plat to get discounts?

Offline elig770

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 03:06:38 AM »
Amex Platinum is Hertz CDP# 21176, though I'm pretty sure it doesn't wave the under age fee for being under 25. USAA (CDP#77694) will give lower the age to 18 and possibly be an even better rate than the Amex Platinum CDP, but you won't get the "4-hour no-charge grace period" if you don't use the Amex Platinum CDP (and you can only use 1 CDP). There's also PC# 144314 that lowers the rental age to 20 and can be stacked on with a CDP.

With Priceline, while naming your price you put in your age, and if your offer gets accepted there is no additional fees for underage.

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 03:09:16 AM »

With Priceline, while naming your price you put in your age, and if your offer gets accepted there is no additional fees for underage.
Thanks a ton for the info!
Can i use corp codes with priceline (i assume not?)
I always thought that the price you get with priceline does not include underage fees this is good to know

Offline elig770

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 03:12:44 AM »
IDK about using a corp with Priceline. I don't think you can add it in to the reservation, but it might be possible to add it in when picking up the car. But with Priceline you don't know which rental company you'll get...

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 03:52:14 AM »
Hertz in EWR is pretty expensive on your dates, you might want to pick u either in Union NJ or Montclair NJ.

Offline dealer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 06:08:07 AM »
avis awd z652297 out of rutherford nj (ru3) and return in ewr usually gives me a great rate and underage waived

Offline Monsey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 08:04:18 AM »
avis awd z652297 out of rutherford nj (ru3) and return in ewr usually gives me a great rate and underage waived
Whos corporate is that?

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 08:14:29 AM »
On the priceline site it clerly says that it does not include underage

Offline elig770

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 08:37:07 AM »
I was talking about "name your own price" on Priceline
Minimum Age Requirements

Priceline.com offers car rentals to drivers between the ages of 21 and 24 years old in select locations. Rentals for drivers between the ages of 18 and 20 are available in New York only. Enter the details of your trip and we'll tell you if we can fulfill your request.

Rental companies charge renters under the age of 25 Young Renter Fees. These fees typically start at $20 per day and can be as much as $50 per day for high cost locations or more desirable car types. For example, a rental car that normally costs $30 per day could cost an underage driver at least $50 per day.

With priceline.com, you should include these additional fees in your offer price. If your request is accepted, you will not be charged any additional Young Renter Fees at the rental counter.

Please note: All drivers will be required to present a valid driver's license in order to pick up a vehicle and each driver's age will be verified at the rental counter. If the driver's age was misrepresented during the offer process, the driver will be subject to underage fees at the rental counter.

If we are not able to fulfill your request and you still need a rental, click here to see other options from our partners who rent to drivers under the age of 25. To prevent surprises, be sure to inquire about the Young Renter Fees that will be charged to you at the rental counter.

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 10:13:42 PM »
So far hotwire was about 1/2 the price of all the other sites i've tried, but of course they don't tell you which company you got, so i dunno if when i applied the hertz corporate code that i supplied them with is gonna help get around the underage fee.... because i might not even get hertz. grrr