Author Topic: 100k MR, should I transfer to DL before I sell?  (Read 3070 times)

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
100k MR, should I transfer to DL before I sell?
« on: July 21, 2011, 05:56:45 PM »
Hi everyone!

Is it worthwhile to transfer my 100k MR to DL, I get the 50% bonus plus Silver Medallion Status (right?). I would get a bit less money for the 150k Delta than 100k MR, is there a Maaleh to having Silver if I do not travel much nowadays? If I fly in a year and get upped to First Class, is that worth the Safek over Vadai losing $100 now? What other benefits do I get? (I live in Israel and do not need to shlep 2 suitcases if I am flying myself, no plans to fly anyways with the whole mishacha)

Thanks.
siyag lachachma :-)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: 100k MR, should I transfer to DL before I sell?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:43:53 AM »
Hi everyone!

Is it worthwhile to transfer my 100k MR to DL, I get the 50% bonus plus Silver Medallion Status (right?). I would get a bit less money for the 150k Delta than 100k MR, is there a Maaleh to having Silver if I do not travel much nowadays? If I fly in a year and get upped to First Class, is that worth the Safek over Vadai losing $100 now? What other benefits do I get? (I live in Israel and do not need to shlep 2 suitcases if I am flying myself, no plans to fly anyways with the whole mishacha)

Thanks.

I'd say hold your Amex as 100k Amex is arguably a better value than 150k DL. You might also want to consider transferring the 100k to CO before Amex MRs no longer transfer to CO come October of this year.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:46:35 AM »
I'd say hold your Amex as 100k Amex is arguably a better value than 150k DL. You might also want to consider transferring the 100k to CO before Amex MRs no longer transfer to CO come October of this year.

Would that be better than transferring the 100k to BA via the 50% bonus considering the possibility of using them on AA with no fuel surcharge?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:56:47 AM »
Would that be better than transferring the 100k to BA via the 50% bonus considering the possibility of using them on AA with no fuel surcharge?

AA domestic SAAver only AFAIK (definitely not trans-Atlantic)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:02:26 AM by AsherO »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 10:19:33 AM »
AA domestic SAAver only AFAIK (definitely not trans-Atlantic)

Even still - do you think its worth it to xfer before 7/31 to get the match?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:22:05 AM »
Even still - do you think its worth it to xfer before 7/31 to get the match?

Depends on how you plan on using them. With AA domestic coach at most you get like 2.5cpm in value ($625 ticket for 25k), you get better values intl/biz tickets IMHO. (and I don't specifically mean BA, I mean MR to any airline)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:32:11 AM »
Depends on how you plan on using them. With AA domestic coach at most you get like 2.5cpm in value ($625 ticket for 25k), you get better values intl/biz tickets IMHO. (and I don't specifically mean BA, I mean MR to any airline)

I don't mean to hijack (and maybe I'll just make a new thread), but if you had no concrete plans one way or the other (especially if you had no immediate plans to travel internation), would it be better to keep the 100k MR or xfer to 150k BA?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 10:48:27 AM »
I don't mean to hijack (and maybe I'll just make a new thread), but if you had no concrete plans one way or the other (especially if you had no immediate plans to travel internation), would it be better to keep the 100k MR or xfer to 150k BA?

I think you're asking the same question as his, and I think DL and BA can be had for 33% less (50% bonus) specifically because they are worth less. Secondly, having Amex points (as opposed to points in a specific program) offers the flexibility of transferring to any of their partners, which is arguably worth more than the 50% bump, specifically for people in your (and the OPs) situation (where you don't quite know how you're going to want to redeem these points).

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »
I think you're asking the same question as his, and I think DL and BA can be had for 33% less (50% bonus) specifically because they are worth less. Secondly, having Amex points (as opposed to points in a specific program) offers the flexibility of transferring to any of their partners, which is arguably worth more than the 50% bump, specifically for people in your (and the OPs) situation (where you don't quite know how you're going to want to redeem these points).

Yea, I guess that makes sense. But I guess your calculus would change if I had plans to fly internationally (but I guess even then, you'd caution xferring to BA because of the fuel surcharges...)