AJK's (very long) TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg150317#msg150317

Tzfas's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg271358#msg271358

Yehoshua's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=53999.msg1209038#msg1209038

Other TRs:
Yitzy93,
Moishy36, deals, chuchem, milechazzer, LAXtraveler, fdg9, ChAiM'l, rots5, Ergel, steve L, sy guy, waterpri, MC dvol
CGR

Map of Jewish Paris
Kosher Paris Map
Kosher List-July 2015 or Here.

RESTAURANTS (the best of)

There are hundreds of kosher restaurants in Paris.  The locals generally don't eat the meat under Beis Din as they don't require Glatt meat.  But they will eat everything else under Beis din.

Search for restaurants by cuisine and hashgocha here.

NameLocationMetroTypeHechsherNotes
Darjeeling17thArgentine-1MeatRottenberg
Sar Eden19thOurcq-5BakeryRottenbergOrganic bakery
Charles Traiteur19thOurcq-5BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur20thSaint-Mandé-1BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur11thRue-Des-Boulets-9BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur16thVictor-Hugo-2BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur Halavi17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din Chalavi
Korcarz4thSaint-paul-1BakeryBeth-DinIn the Marais
Ardely’s19thOurcq-5Milk ChocolateKatz
Damyel19thOurcq-5Parve ChocolateRottenberg
L’As Du Fallafel4thSaint-paul-1FallafelBeth-Dinin the Marais
L’Inte Cafe12thMiromesnil-9,13DairyBeth-Din15 minute walk from the Park Hyatt
Kosher pizza4thSaint-paul-1PizzaRottenberg
Le Shine17thPorte Maillot-1ChineseLubavitchnear the Arc
Soumsoum11thVoltaire- 9MeatLubavitchGreat Israeli restaurent, there is a second one in the 8th
Doron ba Laïla19thGare Saint-Lazare 3-12-13-14MeatRottenbergNice meat restaurant
Tibs19thOurcq-5DairyKatz
Thai One2ndSentier-3MeatRottenberg
Le XXV16thTrocadéro-9-6BakeryRottenberg Chalavi
Le XXV8thTernes-2BakeryRottenberg Chalavi

Activities:
-Segway Tour. Please do not PM Ergel with requests for coupon codes. The codes are long dead
-Seine River Tour
-Eiffel Tour (Metro: Trocadero -6,9)
-Versailles Palace and Gardens. Never wait on line to buy tickets. 1. Use museum pass 2. Buy in advance 3. There are vending machines near the bathrooms (you have to poke around to find them) without lines. (if you go during a really busy time and the line seems endlessly long, go to the gardens first and return to the palace in the afternoon when lines are shorter). To get an audio guide, you usually proceed across the Royal Courtyard after passing security. If the lines for the audio guides are long, turn left in the Courtyard, to the Apartments of the daughter's of Louis XV’s. There you'll find another counter where you can get audio guides, with no lines at all. You can then exit the apartments and continue along the tour, bypassing the longer line.
-Louvre Art Museum (Closed Tuesday) (Metro: Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre -1,7) Shushan/Purim artifacts that can be seen at the Louvre, per the book Purim and the Persian Empire.
-D'Orsay Art Museum (Closed Monday) (Metro: Solférino -12)
-Musée de l'Orangerie des Tuileries (closed Tuesday) small museum featuring Monet's lilies (Metro Concorde: -1,8,12)
-Centre Georges Pompidou modern art museum open 11-9. closed tuedays (Metro: Rambuteau -11)
-Tuileries Gardens. (Metro: Tuileries -1)
-Paris sewer museum Smells really bad but an interesting look at the sewer system
-Champs Elysees shopping (Metro: Champs-Élysées - Clemenceau -1,13)
-Arc de Triomphe (Metro: Charles de Gaulle - Étoile -1,2,6)
-Operan National De Paris opera house. tours daily 11:30 and 2:30. Admission included in Museum Pass, tour extra
-Montmartre (Great neighborhood to walk around with boutiques, artists, and great views, and a funicular that kids will love) (Metro: abbesses -12, Anvers -2)
-The Great Synagogue (La Victoria) is beautiful but the main shul is only open on Shabbos mornings for Shacharis, but definitely worthwhile if you're there over Shabbos (Metro: Notre-Dame-de-Lorette -12)

Hotels:
-Park Hyatt Paris (Hyatt cat 7) is an outstanding value for your points. They used to give a phenomenal kosher breakfast but now it's barely even worth requesting.  Still rooms are a decent size for Paris, the Spa facilities are very nice, and the intoxicating smell used throughout the hotel for forever be linked with the romance of Paris. Ideally located between the Opera and Tuileries metro stations.
The Park Hyatt has free parking, though driving and parking elsewhere in Paris is very difficult.
The Park Hyatt has also complimentary bikes for guests.
There is a backdoor for entry on shabbos.

-The InterContinental Paris - Le Grand is not far from the Park Hyatt. It cost 70k IHG points per night or you can use IHG free nights. It is a good alternitive if the PH is not available or if you don't have/don't want to spend 30k Hyatt points per night.

-The Westin (SPG cat 6) is not as luxurious at the Park Hyatt but is located nearby and does the trick if you only have Starpoints and not Chase or Hyatt points.

Shabbos meals:
-Chabad of Champs Elysees has great shabbos meals and you're sure to bump into other tourists there as well to share tips.
It is a 30 minute walk to the Park Hyatt, but the walk is quite lovely via the Tuileries Gardens and the Champs Elysees.
Reservations are required: http://www.chabadchampselysees.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/888847/jewish/Shabbat-at-Chabad-Champs-Elyses.htm
-if you don't/can't eat at Chabad, they suggest getting takeout from Ben & Cook located in the 8th. Hashgacha: rabbinate Lubavitch De France 33 1 45 61 03 95. 35 Euro for 2 challas, 2 dips, meatballs with noodles or veggies for 2. they close at 3pm on Fridays (in the summer). call for more info
- Friday night meals at Grand Synagogue http://www.tiny.cc/chabbat

There is no eruv in Paris. Consider taking the metro to shul with your talis bag along with return tickets for motzei shabbos.

Transport from CDG:
-If you are going to the Opera area you can take the RoissyBus (pronounced Wahsee-Boos as you will get blank stares if you ask for the Royzee-Bus) which goes there nonstop. You can pay by credit card in the RoissyBus waiting station or on the bus.  The cost is €10.  It is a 5 minute walk to the Park Hyatt.

-There are also train options from CDG: the subway is located in terminal 2E/2F, to get to paris its ligne B (Blue) it should take approximately 30minutes to get to Gare Du Nord
it cost 9€10 each way per person

- Mendy Taxi: 0(1133) 6 50 99 82 93 http://mendystransport.com/en/
- Shimon taxi: 0(1133)6 98 27 16 08  Tamidshuttle@gmail.com

- Uber, Bolt are the best option to get to paris cheapest and fastest

Metro:
The subway is fast, efficient, and cheap. A book of 10 tickets is 13,30€ for adults and 6,65€ for kids.
The subway closes between 12:30 and 2am.

Map:
Streetwise Paris cannot emphasize enough, this is really a must. Of course, if you have GMaps and data you don't need this map unless you really like paper.

Guidebooks
Rick Steves' Paris 2013
Fodor's Paris 2013 (Full-color Travel Guide)

Other Tips
-If you plan on visiting several of the items covered by the Museum Pass - make sure to check it out and price out your options.  Many times it is worth it to get a one-day or multi-day Museum Pass to save some money and more importantly, time (see link for more details: http://en.parismuseumpass.com/)
-Double check days when museums/sites are closed as many do close on different days of the week.
« Last edited by yitzy93 on November 27, 2023, 04:50:39 PM »

Author Topic: Paris Master Thread  (Read 944117 times)

Offline LAXtraveler

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Re: Paris Master Thread
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2011, 11:37:40 AM »
We used a Museum Pass and went to many different things with it. It also does save substantial time and many of the main sites around Paris.

while i dont necessarily agree with you tour book, i do however believe its a must see

I don't understand this?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2011, 11:40:46 AM »
thanks i forsure read that b4 i posted just wasnt sure if those were the only 2 places u went to with the pass.
We arrived Thursday I think and left Monday afternoon.

They don't sell a 1 day pass, so we had to buy a 2 day pass, but we only used it Sunday at Versailles the whole day and at the Lourve for 20 minutes to get that iconic picture of and with the Mona Lisa.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2011, 05:46:09 PM »
I don't understand this?
i dont think its the one palace to see in all of europe, but i believe its still a must see. sorry if that wasnt clear

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2011, 12:50:29 AM »
i dont think its the one palace to see in all of europe, but i believe its still a must see. sorry if that wasnt clear

No worries. What palace would you place higher then Versailles (just out of curiosity)? I don't know what I would put on the top of the list.

Offline fdg9

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2011, 09:33:36 AM »
Do I need a converter if I am coming from US? Meaning, will every hotel in Paris have converters and adapters for my use if I bring my laptop and cell?

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2011, 10:47:23 AM »
Do I need a converter if I am coming from US? Meaning, will every hotel in Paris have converters and adapters for my use if I bring my laptop and cell?

Bring just in case. Our hotel only had a US type outlet in the bathroom for my shaver. Otherwise, I used converters.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »
PH Paris has converters in the room and extras for the asking.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline fdg9

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2011, 12:03:45 PM »
unfortanately the PH is sold out so I am staying at the Le Meridien Etoile...

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2011, 12:56:15 PM »
unfortanately the PH is sold out so I am staying at the Le Meridien Etoile...

When are you going that its sold out? Are you diamond?

Offline fdg9

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »
In a week. I am diamond.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2011, 03:56:01 PM »
We will be in Paris for 3 nights in the near future. There are tons of restaurants (I know only a few Glatt) and don't know where to begin.
I am taking recommendations for the 3 best restaurants in each catagory: 1. Meat (Glatt) 2. Dairy 3. Sushi :) 

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2011, 04:58:58 PM »
darjeeling
french sushi? cant you wait to get back to your local brooklyn pizzeria?

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 13, 2011, 05:06:24 PM »
Check out my TR I have a bunch of restaurants I reviewed: http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=6165.msg69637#msg69637.

We didn't go to sushi so I can't comment on that.

Darjeeling, Pitzman's (pizza) and Inte Caffe were a few of my favorites.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2011, 07:54:24 PM »
@ Moish: There seem to many Sushi places so I figured one of them has to be decent.:)
Than again, once you are not in Japan what's the diff between France and the US?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 13, 2011, 07:57:55 PM »
Than again, once you are not in Japan what's the diff between France and the US?

You're comparing french cuisine to fastfood?

(and even I'm saying that, as a francophobe)
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 13, 2011, 08:21:45 PM »
No, Moish made a statement that I might as well have sushi when I get back home since France is not known for its sushi. I responded that it isn't a US food either. There's not diff bet having gefilta fish in India or Pakistan!! :)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 13, 2011, 08:40:22 PM »
There's not diff bet having gefilta fish in India or Pakistan!! :)

Sure there is, in India they top it with curry.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline fdg9

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 14, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »
I am back from Paris.
Thanks to all who gave me info; it really helped. Here is my 2 cents…
I have lots to say, so I will just add brief points. I will happily embellish specific things if asked.
Air:
BA JFK-LHR-CDG, First Class
1.   1st class to LHR was great, both in terms of comfort and food
a.   Since meat dinner was served soon after takeoff of 6hr flight, we had to choose whether to have meat dinner of dairy breakfast served 5 hrs later. I took meat;  wife took diary; both were very good.
2.   Concord Lounge in LHR was great. They gave me private room to daven schachris. I also asked for meal in lounge because I had not eaten since dinner. Within 30 minutes attendant brought me 2 complete meat meals. We also got the 15 minute free massages.
3.   Club First LHR-CDG: served us a meal on 45 minute flight, but meal was frozen solid like a brick. No big deal because of meal in lounge…
BA CDG-LHR-JFK, First Class
1.   The amount of time we saved in lines by going first throughout trip was AMAZING!
2.   Once again, meal served on CDG-LHR flight was frozen solid like brick. Flight attendant said it was because of the dry ice the meals are kept in.
3.   CDG-JFK flight was fine. Meals were great, the best I had on my entire trip to Paris (no joke)
4.   Seat was not working so I drowned my sorrows in the all-you-can drink JW blue label…
a.   Contacted BA about seat problem. They offered me 2 $250 vouchers, but I will try to turn it into miles)
Hotel:
Le Meridien Etoile
1.   Not great. I know, I know about the PH, but it was sold out for points, even though I am diamond.
2.   Location not good at all. Hotel dated. Will not stay there again.
Sights:
1.   We hit most of the major museums and sites with Museum Pass (great value and line buster, except Versailles which still had a priority pass line of 1.5 hours). The only place we went to avoid is the Baccarat Museum which is a sham and should be avoided at all costs. Everything else was as expected and great.
2.   Except when we were out past 1AM, when the Metro closes, we used the Metro all the time (Metro Pass, which we used about 100 times) and it was easy and organized. Now I understand why Parisians are in such great shape…

Food:
1.   Pitzman: Ate there twice. Rustic Pizza. Very good. Avoid any side dishes or fries and stick with the pizza.
2.   L’as Du Falafel: Best I ever had. Period.
3.   Korcarz: Lemon Meringue was great! Nothing else made an impression.
4.   Darjeeling: Grub. Kavanna restaurant (Indian) in UK is the best restaurant I ever ate in, along with Tierra Sur in Oxnard, CA. Darjeeling was not good. We tried almost every appetizer and a few mains. We were not impressed at all. The food in Shalom Bombay and Dakshin II in NY is MUCH better. We also had the only 2 Indian style desserts and were very disappointed. Btw, I too noticed that the maître ‘d has an attitude problem…
5.   La Marina: Food sucked bad, but dessert was very good.
6.   Tibs 17: Good food, desserts no so good, except crème brulee which was good.
7.   We must have spent $125 on soda during trip, as everybody charges around 3 euro inside a restaurant per drink…
8.   Unfortunately, we could not find a French cuisine meat restaurant that met our kosher standards (YKMV)…
I guess that’s it in a nutshell…

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »
Great review!!!

Shame about the PH, we enjoyed it a lot.

Your food reviews are very close to what we thought.
Pitzman-exactly what I thought.
Korcarz-exactly what I thought.
L’as Du Falafel and Darkeeling we missed.
Tierra Sur in Oxnard is awesome.
La Marina-Exactly, just go for the Farandole IMO.  Probably the best thing is to eat at Tib's 19 and then go next door for some Farandole.  And don't miss either of the great chocolate shops right next door either!

Offline fdg9

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 14, 2011, 03:56:50 PM »
After eating at La Marina, and enjoying the Farandole, we said the same about eating at Tibs and going for dessert to La Marina. In fact, we would have done so, except we had already eaten at Tibs 17 and wanted to try something different.
We did also in fact buy 20 pounds of chocolate at the two stores. I didn't post it because we have yet to try any. I should say as a warning, that we got the chocolate and praline shmear taken from our carry-on bags at LHR (went through CDG no problem). They put in the “Mailandfly" bin, so I should have them mailed to me for about $10…