Author Topic: Petition to fire avis employees whom refused to rent car to israeli  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Petition to fire avis employees whom refused to rent car to israeli
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 07:42:52 PM »
Avis already apologized.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 07:47:47 PM »
Avis already apologized.
Link? All I saw was where they say that it was justified.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:56:24 PM »
Link? All I saw was where they say that it was justified.
Here. From their Facebook page. The commenters aren't satisfied with the response.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline htg123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 11:22:34 PM »
bit babyish to continue fighting this war...they've realized they've screwed up. let's move on

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 11:24:02 PM »
yes lets move on by breaking their sales system and giving free rentals to all....like in the past

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 11:27:24 PM »
bit babyish to continue fighting this war...they've realized they've screwed up. let's move on
Nope. Those employees should be fired. Why should they be able to discriminate without penalty? at the very least a suspension, or free rentals for a year for the affected customer IMHO, not a weak sauce excuse.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 01:32:06 AM »
Nope. Those employees should be fired. Why should they be able to discriminate without penalty? at the very least a suspension, or free rentals for a year for the affected customer IMHO, not a weak sauce excuse.
How do you know it was discrimination? Maybe that employee just didn't understand the policy. Do you really think that if the employee was a muslim from Egypt they would have let him rent and were preventing him just because he is Jewish?

Lets stop playing the anti-semitism card so often...

They screwed up, they apologized,  move on....

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 01:41:08 AM »
How do you know it was discrimination? Maybe that employee just didn't understand the policy. Do you really think that if the employee was a muslim from Egypt they would have let him rent and were preventing him just because he is Jewish?

Lets stop playing the anti-semitism card so often...

They screwed up, they apologized,  move on....

He rented there before, had avis membership and they treated him like absolute garbage.
It's not like they cared about corporate policy, read the story it reeks of hardcore antisemitism. Your ignorance is sad, you sound like one of the apologists that doesn't want to get the racist neo-nazis upset.

No excuse is sufficient for these racist antisemitic dogs.
Visibly Jewish

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 08:17:53 AM »
He rented there before, had avis membership and they treated him like absolute garbage.
It's not like they cared about corporate policy, read the story it reeks of hardcore antisemitism. Your ignorance is sad, you sound like one of the apologists that doesn't want to get the racist neo-nazis upset.

No excuse is sufficient for these racist antisemitic dogs.
So what about when I'm given the runaround by Avis Jerusalem?  Oh right,  then it's anti Chareidi.  And what about when my chiloni cousin is given the runaround by Avis in Tel Aviv, is that discrimination against short people? Or maybe it is all just really bad customer service. I am NOT an apologist, but I just dislike when people throw around the racism or anti-semitism card anytime something bad happens to them.

Did you see the graphic going around complaining about the lack of media coverage for Ezra Schwartz versus the coverage for an Arab youth?  I'd like to see a corrected version, now that the Patriots honored him, but instead all I hear is complaints that they didn't specifically mention Israel. 

Even if the employee did treat him differently for being a Jew, does that mean that they should be fired? Do you honestly mean to tell me that you have never treated an African American or a Muslim different because of their race and religion?  As Jews, we often have severe stereotypes about other religions and ethnicities, but panic the second anyone does the same to us.

And finally, we like to cry about how we are treated so poorly due to antisemitism.  Compared to the African American and Muslim communities, we do pretty well.  When the Arabs misrepresent something, we scream and yell at them.  Go look through the Jewish websites , there's plenty of bigotry and misrepresentation done by us and we tolerate that just fine

I'm not saying there aren't hate crimes done to us because we are Jewish, just that not every time aJew mistreated is it because he is Jewish.  I live in Lakewood, and people are starting to buy properties in all of the neighboring towns. The neighbouring towns are trying to stop you from moving there everyone is screaming anti-semitism. I think it is very simple that they don't want their town to become congested and taken over by our community who likes to do things our way and who often follow Jewish law before American law.  If I were a non-jew living in Toms River, I would not want my quiet town to become the hustle and bustle and politics and hock that Lakewood has become.  Oh, and imagine if a African American community was trying to move into and take over Lakewood? Would we sit back quietly, or make a big fuss?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:31:01 AM by MarkS »

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 09:16:42 AM »
So what about when I'm given the runaround by Avis Jerusalem?  Oh right,  then it's anti Chareidi.  And what about when my chiloni cousin is given the runaround by Avis in Tel Aviv, is that discrimination against short people? Or maybe it is all just really bad customer service. I am NOT an apologist, but I just dislike when people throw around the racism or anti-semitism card anytime something bad happens to them.

Did you see the graphic going around complaining about the lack of media coverage for Ezra Schwartz versus the coverage for an Arab youth?  I'd like to see a corrected version, now that the Patriots honored him, but instead all I hear is complaints that they didn't specifically mention Israel. 

Even if the employee did treat him differently for being a Jew, does that mean that they should be fired? Do you honestly mean to tell me that you have never treated an African American or a Muslim different because of their race and religion?  As Jews, we often have severe stereotypes about other religions and ethnicities, but panic the second anyone does the same to us.

And finally, we like to cry about how we are treated so poorly due to antisemitism.  Compared to the African American and Muslim communities, we do pretty well.  When the Arabs misrepresent something, we scream and yell at them.  Go look through the Jewish websites , there's plenty of bigotry and misrepresentation done by us and we tolerate that just fine

I'm not saying there aren't hate crimes done to us because we are Jewish, just that not every time aJew mistreated is it because he is Jewish.  I live in Lakewood, and people are starting to buy properties in all of the neighboring towns. The neighbouring towns are trying to stop you from moving there everyone is screaming anti-semitism. I think it is very simple that they don't want their town to become congested and taken over by our community who likes to do things our way and who often follow Jewish law before American law.  If I were a non-jew living in Toms River, I would not want my quiet town to become the hustle and bustle and politics and hock that Lakewood has become.  Oh, and imagine if a African American community was trying to move into and take over Lakewood? Would we sit back quietly, or make a big fuss?
You mean like this?
http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2015/11/photos-open-house-in-toms-river-gets-ugly-police-called.html
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 09:18:01 AM »

This is a classic case of antisemitism, when you don't get served BECAUSE of your race, and no other reason. When you claim someone is anti-charedi you have to prove how they treated you differently. Over here it's very clear how they treat Israelis differently than other Jews. They made up corporate policies that didn't exist, and then stood by them, even after getting a manager involved, who absolutely should not let bogus policies used to discriminate. Instead the manager stood by those bogus policies, and then claimed he was disturbing. Total BS.

Absolutely no relevance to this story. I don't pass around that type of garbage either.

Even if the employee did treat him differently for being a Jew, does that mean that they should be fired?
Hell yeh I do. Being a class A racist gets you fired from any position in the US these days. I think the manager should definitely get fired, not sure about the employee. It wasn't just being treated "differently". It's about customers being treated "wrongly" with absolute disregard to corporate policy.
Also puts the company in a very liable position, the company could lose a lot more money in a lawsuit than what the employee is worth.

Do you honestly mean to tell me that you have never treated an African American or a Muslim different because of their race and religion?  As Jews, we often have severe stereotypes about other religions and ethnicities, but panic the second anyone does the same to us.

No. And if I was in a customer facing position and I did something racist, I should be fired for the first offense. Next?

I think you could pin the Jewish outcry on a few things.

1.  Our history, we know many non-Jews hate us, and will murder us given the right circumstances.
2.  The worlds complete ignorance of antisemitism if it doesn't involve the killing of a Jew. I don't know a Jewish soul that doesn't experience overt antisemitism every once in a while. But you don't hear about these stories. You won't hear that people yelled Dirty Jew at me just for walking down the street. And that happened to me plenty of times. Employees singling us out, treating everyone one way and treating us differently is a common experience, even when we don't have special requests. You'll hear about other minorities every time someone looks at them the wrong way, getting special treatment to make sure they can be included in jobs (check how the NYFD recruiting has evolved), but you'll never see news stories about common antisemitism besides those written by Jews. Jews are outraged at this Avis story because we've all been in the same shoes a thousand times and no one cares.

I don't share the world view that everyone is racist.
But I do think that certain antisemitic actions can make the average guy think that neighboring towns are full of racists. Explain to me how banning sukkahs is not antisemitic? Once you see that the city council is flowing with antisemites, who do you think they are representing? The town at large, who are likely telling them to do anything possible, racist or not, to get Jews out of town.

I know some Jews have annoyed people living in these town, but here's a thought-
Have you ever heard the Lakewpod township publicly talk about Mexicans or any other class of people, discussing strategies how to get rid of them? Of course not, any politician would be burned at the stake for even suggesting policies like that. In toms river you'll hear them discuss the "Jewish problem" at every meeting and website. That would t happen against any other minority no matter how "wronged" the town feels.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:21:30 AM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 12:40:21 PM »
I can't say I read this whole thread, but trust me these people aren't getting fired. If you read the apology carefully, they're basically apologising for their people not being well versed in the rules of foreign IDs. What they're basically saying is that their rules require an additional ID such as a passport when renting with a foreign license. The 2 mistakes that they are apologising for are that A. These rules aren't enforced B. Perhaps they should've asked this guy for his passport before turning him down.

At least that's the way I see it.
No one's getting fired or demoted for this one.