Author Topic: Recommendations for comfortable masks  (Read 5355 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for comfortable masks
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2021, 11:21:43 AM »
Saw someone wearing a neck strap that pulled back the bottom of the ear loops (behind the ears) backwards towards eachother. I’m not sure if this was for a better deal at the bottom or also for additional comfort.

Searching Amazon for mask neckstrap, these seem to be a thing for relieving ear strain.

It was also a pretty cool looking mask, looked like three horizontal panels where the middle panel seemed like it was layered over the top and bottom panel.

Something like this mask: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Reusable-Washable-Adjustable-Lightweight/dp/B08LB2GBSS
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 11:25:04 AM by AsherO »
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2021, 02:49:38 PM »
Masks for preschool kids

This post is for those who have decided to seek comfortable masks for 2-5 year olds.  This is the Comfortable Masks thread; if you have comments on why such young children should not wear masks, please post on the Masks thread.

Aaron Collins, a mechanical engineer who has worked as an aerosol scientist, has converted his bathroom into an aerosol lab where he tests the effective filtration of different masks for adults and children and posts his findings on youtube, twitter (@masknerd), and in spreadsheets. 

I’ve copied his recommendations for masks that have good filtration, good fit on the face, and are comfortable for the 5 and under crowd, with sites he’s found that sell them.  I took these from his spreadsheet today, but he updates it as needed, so see that for the latest, as well as for masks for 6-12 year olds.

Below is his recent 20 minute video, Kids masks for 12 & under – A primer for parents with additional advice.

The Bio Toddler Mask – 2-5 yo
https://kollecteusa.com/products/kf94-toddler-kids-mask-youandkids

HappyLife Gooday Kids Mask x-small – 3.5-6 yo
https://kollecteusa.com/collections/happylife/products/happy-lifegood-day-kf94-premium-face-mask-kidswhite-2?variant=40698214187157
https://www.everydayemall.com/collections/ppe/products/cute-cartoon-design-kf94-mask-for-kids-made-in-korea-white-kf94-1pcs

Wellbefore Kids KN95 Petite x-small, 2-4 yo
https://wellbefore.com/collections/kids/products/kids-kn95-fda-5-layers-individually-wrapped?variant=19968676626561

Posh KF94 Kids Mask, 4-9 yo
https://behealthyusa.net/collections/posh
https://www.everydayemall.com/collections/ppe/products/posh-kf94-mask-for-kids-made-in-korea

Blue Tiger Kids Mask, 4-9 yo
https://behealthyusa.net/collections/blue-industry-1/products/blue-kf94-kf80-tiger-3d-masks-small-kid-size?variant=36887004512420
https://www.everydayemall.com/collections/ppe/products/blue-kf94-tiger-mask-for-kids-made-in-korea

Bluna Kids Mask, 4-9 yo
https://behealthyusa.net/collections/bluna-1/products/facefit-kf94-white-small-kids
https://kollecteusa.com/collections/blunakf94/products/bluna-kf94-kids

BOTN Kids Mask, 5-9 yo
https://behealthyusa.net/products/botn-kf94-small-white

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 09:12:12 AM »
What's the stud on the front of some of the masks?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half
Dow Jones Industrial Average Tops 40000 for the First Time

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 09:17:21 AM »
Any masks with big ear loops? Target used to have a decent one, but seems that it's been discontinued.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 09:33:59 AM »
Most probably to camouflage the fact that it's a mesh.
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2021, 09:42:08 AM »
He inserts this valve for his testing.  IIUC part of his test is to wear the mask himself and breathe, and test the pressure change inside the mask, which gives an estimate of how much resistance the mask gives, ie, how easy it is to breathe through it.  He's been testing masks for a year, and his earliest video seems to be showing his bathroom lab, but I haven't watched it.  https://www.youtube.com/user/coll0412/videos

If you go to youtube, just below his video is a link to the spreadsheet, where he indicates for each mask what type it is (eg, KN95, bifold style), whether it has adjustable earloops, the filtration efficiency, pressure drop (ie, breathability), and measurements (height, width, and length of segments, since wider masks will be better for larger faces).  He also has photos of his 5.5 yo son wearing each mask, and links to the online stores that sell them.  Also, comments below the video, which he actually responds to.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2021, 09:52:15 AM »
Any masks with big ear loops? Target used to have a decent one, but seems that it's been discontinued.
There are masks with adjustable ear loops, and masks that avoid ear loops and instead have a band that goes around the head.  masknerd (Aaron Collins) has some videos and spreadsheets on adult masks that he's tested, and he indicates which have headbands.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2021, 10:16:03 AM »

Just a word about his comments on kn95 being unregulated and any small seller on Amazon can sell fakes:

If you mention filtration, N95, kn95, particulate, respirator, or any such word in your listing, no matter what the product is, Amazon will shut it down. You will then need to provide evidence including test reports and certifications that it meets the standards mentioned, and even then most accounts will not be approved.

To sum up, if you see a kn95 listing on Amazon that mentions kn95 in the listing, you can be sure that it is tested and certified. If it looks like a kn95 mask and is using every other word to describe it without kn95, they likely have no evidence of testing or certification.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2021, 10:29:50 AM »
To sum up, if you see a kn95 listing on Amazon that mentions kn95 in the listing, you can be sure that it is tested and certified.
Who is it tested and certified by?

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2021, 10:59:31 AM »
Who is it tested and certified by?

I am not personally familiar with all the terms and agencies, but Amazon requires tests by labs that meet certain regulatory standards, and if you try pass off a random Chinese test report that doesn't meet them, it won't pass.

My point is not *who* is testing it, but that Amazon won't allow "fakes". If you are particular about which agency certifies it, then yes, Amazon should not be your source.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2021, 11:09:23 AM »
I am not personally familiar with all the terms and agencies, but Amazon requires tests by labs that meet certain regulatory standards, and if you try pass off a random Chinese test report that doesn't meet them, it won't pass.

My point is not *who* is testing it, but that Amazon won't allow "fakes". If you are particular about which agency certifies it, then yes, Amazon should not be your source.
I get your point and probably Amazon is trying to remove fakes but they are still there and will keep popping up.
Can you say WHAC-A-MOLE?  :)

Many on Amazon say nothing about being certified. There are also many that say CDC approved so it might be best to stick with them unless you don't trust the CDC on this also.  ;)

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2021, 11:33:26 AM »
I get your point and probably Amazon is trying to remove fakes but they are still there and will keep popping up.

Many on Amazon say nothing about being certified. There are also many that say CDC approved so it might be best to stick with them unless you don't trust the CDC on this also.  ;)

Please provide an example. Any listing that uses the term CDC, FDA, or any of the regulated terms such as N95 or KN95 will automatically be shut down, and it is really tough to get it back up even if you have a legit product. In fact, malicious sellers do this to competitors to shut down their listings. That's why I'm saying, if you see a listing that uses every other word besides those terms, you can be almost certain it is a fake.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2021, 12:28:33 PM »

Can you say algorithm?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2021, 11:31:25 AM »
I recently tried a bunch of N95's and these were my two favorites:

Harley L-188 N95 Folding Mask - NIOSH Approved
Makrite SEKURA N95 - NIOSH Approved

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2021, 04:02:39 PM »
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-we-need-to-upgrade-our-face-masks-and-where-to-get-them/
Yes, great article!  Just saw that myself.
Although I had expected you to complain about the final section that says masks are less effective on persons ;) with beards.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2021, 04:04:23 PM »
Yes, great article!  Just saw that myself.
Although I had expected you to complain about the final section that says masks are less effective on persons ;) with beards.

Why would I complain? It's pretty obvious.

Au contraire!  It just makes masking pointless, so no need to bother. I will stick to my invisible mask ("The Emperor's New Clothes" style).

ETA: Since masks are most effective in preventing TRANSMISSION rather than CONTRACTION of virus aerosols, the beard probably doesn't matter that much.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 04:11:35 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2021, 04:47:35 PM »
Why would I complain? It's pretty obvious.

Au contraire!  It just makes masking pointless, so no need to bother. I will stick to my invisible mask ("The Emperor's New Clothes" style).

ETA: Since masks are most effective in preventing TRANSMISSION rather than CONTRACTION of virus aerosols, the beard probably doesn't matter that much.
Not clear to me.  You don't wear a mask because you don't care anyway about the possibility that you might transmit an infection to others?

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2022, 02:42:01 PM »
Since most of the mask requirements are about optics, they should also make ones that don't restrict air that much, yet show the appearance of full mask compliance. And that was your $1,000,000 business idea for the day.
https://Fakemaskusa.com
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.