Author Topic: Dude Ranch  (Read 2016 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Dude Ranch
« on: May 19, 2015, 07:19:25 PM »
I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to add a TR to this forum. For the time being I'm looking for anyone who has gone to a dude ranch, specifically in Montana or Wyoming.

Anyone?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline voldemort

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Dude Ranch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 07:30:08 PM »

Offline Aj3042

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 11:18:08 PM »
I was at one in Texas but only for their day plan-i didn't stay over. The best ranches are so expensive it's crazy-2k a week is a normal rate.

Offline Aerial Dag

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 07:16:58 AM »
I went to triple creek ranch in Montana two years ago. Feel free to ask any questions here or via pm

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »
I went to triple creek ranch in Montana two years ago. Feel free to ask any questions here or via pm
Nice that's always listed as "one of the best in America" right?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:49:09 AM »
I'd like to know how the day to day was and if most activities were extra. And anything else you'd like to share. Also, do you eat kosher? I feel like so much of the dude ranch experience is the food. 

Offline Aerial Dag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »
I stayed in TCR in August, for 5 days. The place was amazing, some of the best service I've ever received. Kosher wise, I eat fish and veggies at these types of place but no meat or shellfish. The food was great, everything is included and it was painful to refrain from eating the meats.

But there is obviously much more to the place other than the food. I signed up for the Team Penning package but because of availability I went with the Cattle Drive. I found that to be lots of fun, despite the fact that I was basically paying to do the job of some ranchers. It was a full day activity and involved you and others to ride on horses with the goal of rounding up hundreds of cattle and driving them towards a new grazing area.
I also went fly fishing which I found to be only okay. Caught a few fish (basically guaranteed) but had to release them. I did trap & 5 stand shooting several times, did some archery, horseback riding around the property and just general photographing and exploring around their huge property. The fly fishing and shooting cost extra, the cattle drive was paid for as part of the package and the other things were included.

The service at TCR was definitely way above average. Everything is included, and individual tips are not allowed though expect to be asked for a general tip upon checkout. Just to give you an understanding of the service, my wife and I were eating dessert at the restaurant and happen to mention to the waiter that it was a shame we were going to miss lighting the bonfire that occurs every night. Without even asking, the waiter suggested that we go light the fire and he'll bring us our desserts and drinks. We went to huge bonfire setup, lit it up and within minutes two waiters came out with all of our food and drinks. About an hour later they asked us if we wanted anything else and we said we wanted to make smores and a few minutes later they brought us a picnic basket filled with graham crackers, chocolates and marshmallows.
Another story, I wanted to go 5 stand shooting but my wife wasn't interested. So I asked them if they could find an employee who was a good shot to compete against me. They moved around some schedules and got one of their employees to go shooting with me.

Overall it was a great experience that I highly recommend doing. The kosher aspect sucks, especially since you're paying for expensive food that you will never get, but I still think it's worth it. They are super accommodating with dietary restrictions so it can't hurt to ask them what they are willing to do for you.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:42:50 AM »
Thanks for the info. And yeah what a great business getting people to pay you to do your work :)
This would be a big one time splurge but I would like to keep it as cheap as possible.

Offline Aerial Dag

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 11:59:29 AM »
Thanks for the info. And yeah what a great business getting people to pay you to do your work :)
This would be a big one time splurge but I would like to keep it as cheap as possible.

No problem. You could try renting a car and just trying to find different ranches and places to do the activities. TCR was fantasitc but it is priced super high and not necessary to enjoy Montana. Montana (and other surrounding states) is simply beautiful and you can't go wrong just visiting Yellowstone or Glacier.

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 01:15:06 PM »
so if its for couples why is it called a dude ranch... and why are the so exclusive?

Offline Aerial Dag

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 01:25:06 PM »
so if its for couples why is it called a dude ranch... and why are the so exclusive?

Because someone realized they can charge huge sums of money if they appeal to women and add extra luxury services.