Topic Wiki

Author Topic: Why is there so much lashon hora on here about restaurants (and other things)  (Read 6089 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
It reflects negatively on him as a person that he can’t make great food?

Calling a product bad is very explicitly included in LH and the owner would definitely feel pained that someone wrote it and that someone read that.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Calling a product bad is very explicitly included in LH and the owner would definitely feel pained that someone wrote it and that someone read that.
Not following. We are talking about a review written for תועלת. I do no harm in reading it if it doesn’t affect me, and it’s not making me think bad of the person.

Offline aygart

• View Profile

He has no idea if I personally read something

That is the same for any lashon hara said not in front of him.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
That is the same for any lashon hara said not in front of him.
That is generally taking about something that the very information can have a damaging effect

Offline Gvann

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Pesach
Not following. We are talking about a review written for תועלת. I do no harm in reading it if it doesn’t affect me, and it’s not making me think bad of the person.

I think that in the environment of the thread that it is in, its ltoeles. Just because you arent right now considering going doesnt make it that it wasnt toeles, but thats given that language used was appropriate in the first place. anything read in the seder of a trip report or questions on this forum is in the format of helping people make decisions about what to do. But opinions that bash someone's restaurant with negativity is not ok.

otherwise why are you even reading the trip report or scrolling through in the first place? unless youre that bored, its obviously with some interest in following suit with that person's post

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Uh. There wouldn't be a that time if I didn't read the review.

Heard that countless people that have read DDMS reviews as well.

100% Many of my trips were based on great trip reports, amd reviews here that made me think this destination/restaurant will work well for us! I have also used many of the food recommendations here, as ordering tips of what was and wasn't worth it.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
That is generally taking about something that the very information can have a damaging effect

או להצר לו

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
otherwise why are you even reading the trip report or scrolling through in the first place? unless youre that bored, its obviously with some interest in following suit with that person's post
People enjoy reading about the experiences of others. It’s second best to doing it yourself.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
People enjoy reading about the experiences of others. It’s second best to doing it yourself.

and that doesnt create any interest in you doing it at all? why is in enjoyable if it doesnt create an interest in you for doing it?

and even so it doesnt matter, it was still written in a way that follows the seder of allowing people to plan their outings.

is there such a thing as reading something that was written for the right purposes and making it loshon hara by not being the intended party?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile

Offline aygart

• View Profile

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

- Rule #3 requires that "One must be motivated by the need to help others avoid the pain that one experienced, and not motivated by a desire for revenge." I can't speak for others, but personally, if I'm 100% honest with myself, when I've felt like leaving a bad review for a business, more often than not it was at least a bit motivated by a desire to get back after feeling like I was ripped off by a bad experience. Even if there would  be a toeles, I'm pretty sure that disqualifies me from saying it, even if it would also help others.

THIS!!
It’s very nice how the last 100 posts explained why it’s toeles. But even if it is toeles it can only be repeated if it is 100% lesheim shamayim… if someone has even the slightest motive to post a non-flattering review because they feel wronged, then it is 100% assur no matter how much time and money you save for the entire klal yisroel!

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
THIS!!
It’s very nice how the last 100 posts explained why it’s toeles. But even if it is toeles it can only be repeated if it is 100% lesheim shamayim… if someone has even the slightest motive to post a non-flattering review because they feel wronged, then it is 100% assur no matter how much time and money you save for the entire klal yisroel!

please dont call out the last 100 posts its loshon hara

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
please dont call out the last 100 posts its loshon hara

Genuinely, why would sarcastically mocking some posts, many of which are posted under real identities, be any less LH than posting a negative restaurant review?

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
Genuinely, why would sarcastically mocking some posts, many of which are posted under real identities, be any less LH than posting a negative restaurant review?

Because I dont think I was mocking anyone in particular, rather making light of the flow of the conversation as a whole and very clearly just making a joke as it was not loshon hara in the slightest for him to say that. If there was sincerity to what I was saying I would agree to you but I think it was clear that it was not a serious response..

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
Because I dont think I was mocking anyone in particular and very clearly just making a joke as it was not loshon hara in the slightest for him to say that. If there was sincerity to what I was saying I would agree to you but I think it was clear that it was not a serious response..
What's the joke? If you aren't sarcastically mocking any posts in this thread, there is no punchline.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
What's the joke? If you aren't sarcastically mocking any posts in this thread, there is no punchline.

edited to make it clearer

but obviously the joke is that there is no loshon hara in what he is saying...

Offline madhocker

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
The criteria of LH is 'words that could cause monetary or physical harm to the one who was spoken about, or cause him emotional anguish'. None of these apply in a post that everyone understands to be sarcastic.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 06:24:30 PM by madhocker »

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
edited to make it clearer
My question still applies with the edit. There is no joke without mocking some posts.

Look, I've made as many sarcastic jokes on this forum as anyone. But if you're going to take a hard line on LH, it would be easier to swallow if those posts themselves weren't denigrating (however humorously) other posters.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
The criteria of LH is 'words that could cause monetary or physical harm to the one who was spoken about, or cause him emotional anguish'. None of these are reflected in a post that everyone understands to be sarcastic.
Good thing sarcasm has never caused anyone emotional anguish.

See?