AJK's (very long) TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg150317#msg150317

Tzfas's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg271358#msg271358

Yehoshua's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=53999.msg1209038#msg1209038

Other TRs:
Yitzy93,
Moishy36, deals, chuchem, milechazzer, LAXtraveler, fdg9, ChAiM'l, rots5, Ergel, steve L, sy guy, waterpri, MC dvol
CGR

Map of Jewish Paris
Kosher Paris Map
Kosher List-July 2015 or Here.

RESTAURANTS (the best of)

There are hundreds of kosher restaurants in Paris.  The locals generally don't eat the meat under Beis Din as they don't require Glatt meat.  But they will eat everything else under Beis din.

Search for restaurants by cuisine and hashgocha here.

NameLocationMetroTypeHechsherNotes
Darjeeling17thArgentine-1MeatRottenberg
Sar Eden19thOurcq-5BakeryRottenbergOrganic bakery
Charles Traiteur19thOurcq-5BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur20thSaint-Mandé-1BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur11thRue-Des-Boulets-9BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur16thVictor-Hugo-2BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur Halavi17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din Chalavi
Korcarz4thSaint-paul-1BakeryBeth-DinIn the Marais
Ardely’s19thOurcq-5Milk ChocolateKatz
Damyel19thOurcq-5Parve ChocolateRottenberg
L’As Du Fallafel4thSaint-paul-1FallafelBeth-Dinin the Marais
L’Inte Cafe12thMiromesnil-9,13DairyBeth-Din15 minute walk from the Park Hyatt
Kosher pizza4thSaint-paul-1PizzaRottenberg
Le Shine17thPorte Maillot-1ChineseLubavitchnear the Arc
Soumsoum11thVoltaire- 9MeatLubavitchGreat Israeli restaurent, there is a second one in the 8th
Doron ba Laïla19thGare Saint-Lazare 3-12-13-14MeatRottenbergNice meat restaurant
Tibs19thOurcq-5DairyKatz
Thai One2ndSentier-3MeatRottenberg
Le XXV16thTrocadéro-9-6BakeryRottenberg Chalavi
Le XXV8thTernes-2BakeryRottenberg Chalavi

Activities:
-Segway Tour. Please do not PM Ergel with requests for coupon codes. The codes are long dead
-Seine River Tour
-Eiffel Tour (Metro: Trocadero -6,9)
-Versailles Palace and Gardens. Never wait on line to buy tickets. 1. Use museum pass 2. Buy in advance 3. There are vending machines near the bathrooms (you have to poke around to find them) without lines. (if you go during a really busy time and the line seems endlessly long, go to the gardens first and return to the palace in the afternoon when lines are shorter). To get an audio guide, you usually proceed across the Royal Courtyard after passing security. If the lines for the audio guides are long, turn left in the Courtyard, to the Apartments of the daughter's of Louis XV’s. There you'll find another counter where you can get audio guides, with no lines at all. You can then exit the apartments and continue along the tour, bypassing the longer line.
-Louvre Art Museum (Closed Tuesday) (Metro: Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre -1,7) Shushan/Purim artifacts that can be seen at the Louvre, per the book Purim and the Persian Empire.
-D'Orsay Art Museum (Closed Monday) (Metro: Solférino -12)
-Musée de l'Orangerie des Tuileries (closed Tuesday) small museum featuring Monet's lilies (Metro Concorde: -1,8,12)
-Centre Georges Pompidou modern art museum open 11-9. closed tuedays (Metro: Rambuteau -11)
-Tuileries Gardens. (Metro: Tuileries -1)
-Paris sewer museum Smells really bad but an interesting look at the sewer system
-Champs Elysees shopping (Metro: Champs-Élysées - Clemenceau -1,13)
-Arc de Triomphe (Metro: Charles de Gaulle - Étoile -1,2,6)
-Operan National De Paris opera house. tours daily 11:30 and 2:30. Admission included in Museum Pass, tour extra
-Montmartre (Great neighborhood to walk around with boutiques, artists, and great views, and a funicular that kids will love) (Metro: abbesses -12, Anvers -2)
-The Great Synagogue (La Victoria) is beautiful but the main shul is only open on Shabbos mornings for Shacharis, but definitely worthwhile if you're there over Shabbos (Metro: Notre-Dame-de-Lorette -12)

Hotels:
-Park Hyatt Paris (Hyatt cat 7) is an outstanding value for your points. They used to give a phenomenal kosher breakfast but now it's barely even worth requesting.  Still rooms are a decent size for Paris, the Spa facilities are very nice, and the intoxicating smell used throughout the hotel for forever be linked with the romance of Paris. Ideally located between the Opera and Tuileries metro stations.
The Park Hyatt has free parking, though driving and parking elsewhere in Paris is very difficult.
The Park Hyatt has also complimentary bikes for guests.
There is a backdoor for entry on shabbos.

-The InterContinental Paris - Le Grand is not far from the Park Hyatt. It cost 70k IHG points per night or you can use IHG free nights. It is a good alternitive if the PH is not available or if you don't have/don't want to spend 30k Hyatt points per night.

-The Westin (SPG cat 6) is not as luxurious at the Park Hyatt but is located nearby and does the trick if you only have Starpoints and not Chase or Hyatt points.

Shabbos meals:
-Chabad of Champs Elysees has great shabbos meals and you're sure to bump into other tourists there as well to share tips.
It is a 30 minute walk to the Park Hyatt, but the walk is quite lovely via the Tuileries Gardens and the Champs Elysees.
Reservations are required: http://www.chabadchampselysees.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/888847/jewish/Shabbat-at-Chabad-Champs-Elyses.htm
-if you don't/can't eat at Chabad, they suggest getting takeout from Ben & Cook located in the 8th. Hashgacha: rabbinate Lubavitch De France 33 1 45 61 03 95. 35 Euro for 2 challas, 2 dips, meatballs with noodles or veggies for 2. they close at 3pm on Fridays (in the summer). call for more info
- Friday night meals at Grand Synagogue http://www.tiny.cc/chabbat

There is no eruv in Paris. Consider taking the metro to shul with your talis bag along with return tickets for motzei shabbos.

Transport from CDG:
-If you are going to the Opera area you can take the RoissyBus (pronounced Wahsee-Boos as you will get blank stares if you ask for the Royzee-Bus) which goes there nonstop. You can pay by credit card in the RoissyBus waiting station or on the bus.  The cost is €10.  It is a 5 minute walk to the Park Hyatt.

-There are also train options from CDG: the subway is located in terminal 2E/2F, to get to paris its ligne B (Blue) it should take approximately 30minutes to get to Gare Du Nord
it cost 9€10 each way per person

- Mendy Taxi: 0(1133) 6 50 99 82 93 http://mendystransport.com/en/
- Shimon taxi: 0(1133)6 98 27 16 08  Tamidshuttle@gmail.com

- Uber, Bolt are the best option to get to paris cheapest and fastest

Metro:
The subway is fast, efficient, and cheap. A book of 10 tickets is 13,30€ for adults and 6,65€ for kids.
The subway closes between 12:30 and 2am.

Map:
Streetwise Paris cannot emphasize enough, this is really a must. Of course, if you have GMaps and data you don't need this map unless you really like paper.

Guidebooks
Rick Steves' Paris 2013
Fodor's Paris 2013 (Full-color Travel Guide)

Other Tips
-If you plan on visiting several of the items covered by the Museum Pass - make sure to check it out and price out your options.  Many times it is worth it to get a one-day or multi-day Museum Pass to save some money and more importantly, time (see link for more details: http://en.parismuseumpass.com/)
-Double check days when museums/sites are closed as many do close on different days of the week.
« Last edited by yitzy93 on November 27, 2023, 04:50:39 PM »

Author Topic: Paris Master Thread  (Read 964887 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Master Thread
« Reply #2140 on: March 29, 2015, 04:51:17 PM »
Heading to paris on Isru Chag for a day... What are the must see sights? (Obviously including Effiel Tower, Chanos Elyesee) Better to stay in a hotel in center of town, or Jewish area? Any affordable hotel options?
The wiki lists the must-see sights. Most people will tell you the Segway tour is the #1 activity in Paris. Unfortunately, I didn't do it. Wherever you stay, you'll need to get on the metro to go around, so I don't think the area matters much.

Don't miss La Marais. A boat tour of the Seine is cheap enough and a nice way to see the city.
Do you have any points for hotels? Chase UR?
I would disagree. That neighborhood is just restaurants. I don't think that's the "must see" sight in Paris. (Of course, getting some food is great, but not the "activity" to do in a 1 day trip.) I also thought the boat tour was a waste of time and money. The river is situated below ground level, which means all you can see is the tops of buildings as you pass them. The tour I happened to take didn't have a live guide either (not sure if that was just mine or if all are like that), so the automated voice repeating things in different languages wasn't wonderful either. Most people here say the Segway tour is the best way to see the city.

OP, now that I see you mentioned you don't want to splurge, the Segway tour is around $100 a person, so keep that in mind. PHP is walking distance to the Louvre, but you probably won't go there if you only have 1 day in Paris. I'd suggest to stay closer to the classic sites, perhaps.

Offline Hatastah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: March 29, 2015, 06:20:17 PM »

The wiki lists the must-see sights. Most people will tell you the Segway tour is the #1 activity in Paris. Unfortunately, I didn't do it. Wherever you stay, you'll need to get on the metro to go around, so I don't think the area matters much.
I would disagree. That neighborhood is just restaurants. I don't think that's the "must see" sight in Paris. (Of course, getting some food is great, but not the "activity" to do in a 1 day trip.) I also thought the boat tour was a waste of time and money. The river is situated below ground level, which means all you can see is the tops of buildings as you pass them. The tour I happened to take didn't have a live guide either (not sure if that was just mine or if all are like that), so the automated voice repeating things in different languages wasn't wonderful either. Most people here say the Segway tour is the best way to see the city.

OP, now that I see you mentioned you don't want to splurge, the Segway tour is around $100 a person, so keep that in mind. PHP is walking distance to the Louvre, but you probably won't go there if you only have 1 day in Paris. I'd suggest to stay closer to the classic sites, perhaps.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!!

Offline rivkao

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: April 27, 2015, 10:19:23 PM »
Is Paris a safe place to visit these days? I was planning on doing a one day trip on my way to TLV but got cold feet after hearing some anti semitic incidents happening  there recently

Offline DMYD

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: April 27, 2015, 10:57:52 PM »
Is Paris a safe place to visit these days? I was planning on doing a one day trip on my way to TLV but got cold feet after hearing some anti semitic incidents happening  there recently
I would feel safer in Dubai then in Paris, I think it's the most anti Semitic place in the world today's days!

Offline rivkao

• View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: April 27, 2015, 10:59:28 PM »
I would feel safer in Dubai then in Paris, I think it's the most anti Semitic place in the world today's days!
I booked the Orly biz tickets now I'm  very worried

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: April 27, 2015, 11:00:51 PM »
Don't know what to tell you, got to live your life. Going yourself or with a group?

Offline rivkao

• View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: April 27, 2015, 11:01:31 PM »
Don't know what to tell you, got to live your life. Going yourself your wife a group?
With husband

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: April 27, 2015, 11:03:25 PM »
With husband
Sorry typo over there, there is a big Jewish community there so hang out there no where is really safe anywhere.

Offline Feivish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: April 27, 2015, 11:51:23 PM »
Sorry typo over there, there is a big Jewish community there so hang out there no where is really safe anywhere.
Defeating the purpose of going to Paris if you're going to hang out in the Jewish area.

The touristy areas feel just like any other big city. There is no need to be worried just don't scream I'm a Jew and be cautious.

Offline Hatastah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: April 28, 2015, 12:01:18 AM »

Defeating the purpose of going to Paris if you're going to hang out in the Jewish area.

The touristy areas feel just like any other big city. There is no need to be worried just don't scream I'm a Jew and be cautious.
+1
Was just there a few weeks ago, hung out mostly in the touristy areas and the Pletzel, has zero issues whatsoever. Didn't feel scared in the slightest walking proudly with a yarmulke and tzitzis. Nothing life is ever guaranteed, but I wouldn't worry too much

Offline rivkao

• View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: April 28, 2015, 12:20:10 AM »

+1
Was just there a few weeks ago, hung out mostly in the touristy areas and the Pletzel, has zero issues whatsoever. Didn't feel scared in the slightest walking proudly with a yarmulke and tzitzis. Nothing life is ever guaranteed, but I wouldn't worry too much

Thanks guys

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: April 28, 2015, 12:31:48 AM »
Thanks guys
Was In Paris twice, wore my yarmulka everywhere both times with no issues. Wearing a cap you should definitely be fine. Same as in any big city keep your radar up...

Offline tmendy226

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #2152 on: April 30, 2015, 12:29:30 AM »

I am from Paris and I was just in Paris for about 3 weeks hung out all over (my family doesn't live in a Jewish area) and had absolutely no issues. I wear yarmulka tzitzis and have a beard. Actually the only weird thing for me were the soldiers in front of the Jewish schools.

Just a reminder that Paris has the biggest Jewish community in Europe and one of the biggest in the world. Paris is an awesome city!

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: April 30, 2015, 01:03:34 AM »
I am from Paris and I was just in Paris for about 3 weeks hung out all over (my family doesn't live in a Jewish area) and had absolutely no issues. I wear yarmulka tzitzis and have a beard. Actually the only weird thing for me were the soldiers in front of the Jewish schools.

Just a reminder that Paris has the biggest Jewish community in Europe and one of the biggest in the world. Paris is an awesome city!
Thanks for the update. I know it'd be no problem going in July (given what happened in January). Looking forward to our trip!

Offline rivkao

• View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: May 26, 2015, 08:08:15 PM »
Anyone can recommend a nice hotel near Orly Airport? Looking at Best Western, Novotel, Hilton, Mercure...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #2155 on: May 28, 2015, 06:44:46 AM »
i think the best western is supposed to be the best

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: June 01, 2015, 09:20:52 PM »
What's the best place either near the PHP or in Le Marais to buy kosher food items? We plan on going to Korcarz to pick up bread and pastries for breakfast, but I we also wanted to go to a kosher store to pick up cheese and other things to accompany our breakfast.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: June 01, 2015, 09:45:17 PM »
The Great Synagogue appears to be the closest shul to the PHP. Is this where most people go for shachris? GoDaven seems to say they have a daily 7:45am minyan.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: June 01, 2015, 09:57:03 PM »
I believe there's a chabad closer
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: June 01, 2015, 09:57:09 PM »
The Great Synagogue appears to be the closest shul to the PHP. Is this where most people go for shachris? GoDaven seems to say they have a daily 7:45am minyan.
Never even heard of the Great Synagogue. ETA: Now I clicked the link and realized you were talking abotu de la Victoire. The main (apparently beautiful) sanctuary is only open on Shabbos. In my research, the closest Shul was this Shul and a Shteeble that had a few Minyanim. I can't believe that I don't remember the name of the Shteeble :-[ but I can try to figure it out.

What's the best place either near the PHP or in Le Marais to buy kosher food items? We plan on going to Korcarz to pick up bread and pastries for breakfast, but I we also wanted to go to a kosher store to pick up cheese and other things to accompany our breakfast.
Next to the Shteeble I went to, there was a Kosher mini market.