Author Topic: Virus warning on chase.com  (Read 4831 times)

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
Virus warning on chase.com
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:53:43 PM »
link

Do Not Fill Out Pop-Up Windows Like This
Do not fill out the information requested if you get this or similar pop-up windows after you log on to Chase.com.

If you see a window similar to the one below, your personal computer may have been infected with a virus that collects your personal information. Please do not log on again or complete any transactions on Chase.com or on any other bank or financial web site until you get your computer checked for viruses. Please see below for steps you should take to protect your personal information.

Chase is not asking for this information.
We take security seriously so we wanted to let you know about this personal computer virus. You may have gotten a pop-up window similar to the one above requesting your personal information because your personal computer may be infected with a virus. If you see a window like the one above, here is what you should do:

Do not fill out the information requested and log off of Chase.com.
Contact us immediately if you think you may have already filled this out or shared your personal information.
Do not log on or complete any transactions on Chase.com – or on any other bank, financial or shopping web site – where you might be using personal information.
Get your computer checked immediately for viruses. Your anti-virus/malware software may not be up to date or may not be able to detect this. This virus hides on your computer until you visit a website it was designed to target. Then it pops up to ask for personal information hoping you have your guard down.
Once your computer has been cleared of any viruses, please change your online User ID and passwords by logging on to Chase.com and go to the Customer Center section. You may also want to change your User ID and passwords for other websites you use.
Remember, it is not our practice to ask you for personal information in this way or through an e-mail.

Common Questions

What does this virus do?
It creates a pop-up window after you log on to Chase.com with your User ID and password. If you fill out the information requested, the creators of this virus can possibly use the information to steal your identity or commit fraud.

Why can't Chase.com stop it?
We cannot detect it because the virus has infected your personal computer's hard drive. It only activates when you are logged on to a website that the virus was designed to target. The virus is not on Chase's systems.

What should I do if I see the pop-up?
Do not fill in any of the information requested in the pop-up window. This is not Chase asking for this information. Instead, immediately log off of Chase.com and do not log on to any other financial or banking sites until you have your computer thoroughly checked for viruses. If you think you have shared any personal information like your Social Security Number, contact us immediately. As an alternative to complete your banking transactions, use your nearest Chase branch or call one of our customer service numbers.

Should I do something with my computer?
Yes, you should get your computer checked for viruses. Your anti-virus/malware software may not be up to date or may not be able to detect this.

Is this like phishing?
Yes, but it may be more dangerous. Your computer would likely get this virus from an infected website or e-mail. But instead of acting immediately, it hides on your computer until you visit a website that it was designed to target. Then, it pops up to ask for personal information, hoping you will have your guard down.

Does Chase ask for personal information like my Social Security Number?
We don't ask you for personal information such as PINs or complete account numbers when you are logged in or through e-mail. We may ask for a mother's maiden name or a Social Security Number on an application that you initiated, but it is not our practice to ask you for personal information in this way or through an e-mail.

How do you know this virus is on my computer?
We have checked Chase.com and determined that the virus isn't generated on our site. We know this virus targets customers who log in to password-protected websites.

What kind of information does the pop-up virus ask for?
It varies, but it typically asks for your driver's license number, debit card PIN or Social Security Number. That information could allow someone unauthorized to access your financial accounts.

Is this just an issue at Chase?
No, this virus seeks out information across banks, financial institutions and other businesses.

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Virus warning on chase.com
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
thanks

Offline aryeh1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Virus
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 01:23:39 AM »
Thats a new one.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
thanks

Offline APoshiterYid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:16:27 AM »
Is this an SS you took? What scares me more than the virus is that you use IE! :p
If you have my email PLEASE don't PM me :)

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 01:59:16 PM »
Is this an SS you took? What scares me more than the virus is that you use IE! :p

lol nope I just linked to the pic on the site

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »
link

Do Not Fill Out Pop-Up Windows Like This

Personally I'd fill it out with fake info, a few times if possible :P

Techies, anyone know what this is about? Is this considered an XSS hack?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline dans fan

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 11:10:06 PM »
does this have anything to do with the chase continues   limited site availability